Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2stroke Vs 4stroke

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by finky10, Apr 13, 2005.

1. hey gang,
    as usual, need some advice from those that know. :D

looking for the first bike, and have had mixed reaction from mates that know (think they know :roll: ) about bikes etc.

Been told to stay away from strokers (RGV, NSR etc) because they aren't good for first timers (L's)... any thoughts on this?

any gotcha's on strokers? should I stay away, or are they just as good as getting a 4 stroke (FZR, CBR etc)

thanks guys.
  2. There was a very recent thread on just this subject. Do a quick search and I'm sure you'll find it.
  3. thanks mipearson....

that was a bloody fast response too....

question asked at 12:46... first response 12:47

you guys dont muck around do you! :)
  4. As with anything there are pros and cons. Pros of a 2 stroke are lighter and more horsepower, cons are it has to do a lot more work given that the piston is firing twice as often as the 4 stroke.

2 stroke is easier to service yourself, no cam, valves etc but doesn't have the longevity of a 4 stroke, around 15000 km's or so they start to get a bit tired, also not everywhere you can go to get oil for a 2 stroke whereas you can get oil anywhere suitable for a 4 stroke.
  5. I am ten ninjas.
  6. "I am ten ninjas"

That is the greatest reply ever in the entire world.

I am just a ninja/pirate. :\
  7. I totally agree with MickDundee.
    I think, all in all, two-strokes are fairly unreliable compared to fours, but they do pack twice the punch & grinpower!
    If you're into loony powerbands & big smiles go for a two-stroke, if you're into reliability and longevity go for a four-stroke.

I love the smell of burning two-stroke in the morning! :)
  8. dude, have you seen that toon "how to kill a mockingbird" on albinoblacksheep? if you havn't, you really REALLY need to, its so far up your alley i think you'd need surgery to remove it :shock: :LOL:

9. bwahahahahahahaha pwned :LOL:

all your base are belong to us.....
  10. I stole it from here: http://www.clango.org

I even have the shirt :p