Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2nd hand bike- what to check out?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by swaz, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Sorry if this has been asked before. I did do a search on it, but didnt show anything to answer my questions.

I am going for my L's Monday and hope to pick up a bike ASAP after that. I am mechanically minded, having taken a few car engines apart before and rebuilt them. No experience with bikes as yet.

Seeing as my target bike at the moment is the Suzuki Across or similar due to price. What are some prudent tips/tricks to keep in mind when looking at 2nd hand bikes? Mechanically and cosmetically.
  2. Mechanics and cosmetics are the trim. Look for a service record: scream, tear your hair, stamp your feet and froth at the mouth demanding same. If not forthcoming, proceed on to the next likely purchase and repeat the exercise. Only buy when your antics produce a verifiable result.
  3. Use a torch to check that the inside of the fuel tank DOES NOT have any rust in it.

Also it wouldn't hurt to search the net to see how available parts are for the bike.
  4. 2nd hand bikes, second hand bikes, what to look for in used/second hand/bikes...
    Search seems to just go on single words rather than strings...
  5. Thanks for finding that for me though
    Apologies for asking a FAQ
  6. :wink: Owen !
    I was gonna post the same thing :p
  7. Yet another forum it seems with lots of topic/search police