Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2nd bike for Learner soon to have a full licence

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Julien, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Hey guys

I have had my Ls and been riding for over 3 months now. I've got a 2007 Suzuki GS500E.

I am turning 30 in a month and will sit my Ps test just after my birthday and hopefully will get a full licence straight away (mature aged rider exemption).

I love my GS but I think I am going to be ready soon to upgrade... I am looking for a bike that I'll be able to keep for a few years without getting bored.

The thing is I don't exactly what to get... Should I go for a midweight or directly for a 1000cc?? I don't commute to work anymore but will probably have to do it again soon when we move out of our place. I love taking my bike for big rides on the week end. I do hundreds of ks on the week end. I guess I won't be able to take my missus on the back for a while so probably no big road trips with my bike. Commuting will always be quite short since I work in Sydney CBD and intend o stay in the eastern suburbs or maybe Northern suburbs but not far.

I am a big fan of naked bikes. I'd like a bike that looks different. For eg. I sat on a Shiver 750 the other day and loved it. I really like the looks of that bike and also I realised that my GS is a bit too low for me. I've reasonably long legs and the Shiver felt really comfy compared to my GS...

My budget would probably go around the $15,000 mark 5that would be a max).

I would be grateful for any comments/suggestions.
  2. maybe have a look at the Triumph Speed Triple
  3. If you like Suzuki's then the Bandit 1250 or GSX 1400 sound like they'd fit what you're after.

4. +1 but with an R at the end

Street Triple R

Colours Jet Black, Fusion White, Roulette Green
    Price $13,490 + Dealer delivery and on-road costs
  5. Try the usual suspects:
    -1200 or 1250 bandit

Street Triple and Speed Triple are both good bikes too.

Another one to consider is the Triumph Tiger, can get a good used one for that coin.
  6. Thanks for your comments guys.

I am a bit unsure whether I should go for the 1000s cc. I am still learning a lot about riding and maybe a 1000cc (or higher) is a bit much for a beginner. I am not really into racing bikes, I just love riding. Any thoughts?
  7. Yeah. This subject has been absolutely FLOGGED to death on these forums. If you do a quick search mate you'll find all the answers you need without having to wait for people to respond to your thread :)
  8. the Speed is the man bike, no 'R' required to seperate it from the volvo owners
  9. Get the Shiver = Awesome bike, its on my "someday" list.

Otherwise get the FZ1n!!
  10. as well as the shiver maybe look at a z750 or a cb600f hornet?
  11. consider aprilia's after sales support, warranty servicing and parts before you get a shiver.

The triples have awesome mid range and i don't think you'll be disappointed with one. Lots of other bikes to consider too. GL.
  12. Hey, what's wrong with Volvo? :) I have one :D
  13. I think the Triple is the go. Looks the go. See one almost everyday in the parking lot on Kent St. Oh btw I am the guy who did the 'L' with you at HART St Ives. So when are you booked in for the pre-provisional.
  14. if its beige and you have tissue boxes and a wide brimmed hat in the back parcel shelf its a problem
    otherwise, we'll let it slide
  15. funny you should mention tissue box.... :)