Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

'2k' clear coat over enamel paint

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Nick Spiel, Feb 13, 2015.

1. I am looking at painting my tank and fenders on my little GN250 as part of a project to convert it to a cafe racer.

I have been reading up on how to do a good (decent) job of spraying with rattle cans. I think everyone agrees that you should get a good clear coat as that is what is going to protect the job. I found this stuff: http://www.spraymax.com/index.php?id=361&L=1 which looks exactly like what I am after. I read on a couple of forums that you need to be sure that all of your paint layers are compatible. I am wondering if the clear coat I listed above will bond well to an enamel paint.

Apologise for my ignorance. I haven't painted much in the past and want to make sure I get the best possible quality job without forking out hundreds of dollars to get a pro to do it for me (and mean no DIY fun).
  2. The short answer is no. 2K clear will need to go over a basecoat, not enamel.
    Your best bet is to go to an automotive paint reseller and get everything in one go. They should be able to point you in the right direction.
  3. Good advice. I went into Autobarn they had one awfully cheap clearcoat in stock and very unhelpful staff. A proper reseller is probably the way to go :)

Also, my father in law is a panel beater. Maybe I should bite the bullet and ask for his advice?! :p
  4. For a minute there i thought this was "i had to pay 2k for a clear coat over enamel paint"

Glad to see i was wrong :)
  5. You can spray 2K over acrylic, but not the other way around. Done 3 bikes this way. The 2K clear is much better gloss/flow than acrylic clear.