Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

263km/h in a car held together by cable ties

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by ginji, May 22, 2008.

1. WTF!

I don't know whether to congratulate the police for getting him off the road, or chastise them for not letting him kill himself and remove himself from the gene pool :?

At least when motorcyclists do that sort of speed it's generally on a late model bike in good nick :LOL:

EDIT - some more info - http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/held-together-cars-263kmh-dash/2008/05/22/1211182965195.html

Car was a 1995 Nissan 200sx turbo
  2. i rode a cbr1kf, with fairing held on by cable ties, at speeds greater than 200... *shrug*
  3. Got to love the way they go from a body kit secured with cable ties to "car held together by cable ties".
  4. slow news day, i reckon.
  5. Yeah I don't see the problem with the cable ties. Done right it could actually be held on a lot better than some factory fitted spoilers (which sometimes only have a few tiny screws holding them on).
    No back seats shouldn't be an issue either, no different than folding down the back seats on the average hatch/wagon.
  6. I hope they were Genuine Nissan cable-ties.
  7. Nah, they'd be the ultra-fast Nismo versions of course.
    (Or Nimso brand off eBay).
  8. Go to any club level race meeting, car or bike, and you'll see a lot worse than a few cable ties, a battery secured by non-standard means and a loose dashboard. All legit, passed by the scrutineers and going very fast too. Doesn't seem to cause a problem :grin: .

The only thing I can condemn with a straight face here is 263 km/h on a public road. Even then, without seeing the road and traffic conditions, its not possible to state categorically that it was unacceptably dangerous, although I've yet to see a public road in Australia where I'd regard it as safe.
  9. Type-R cable ties?
  10. I know that stretch of road, and 263km/h is not safe at all on it, and is most definitely unacceptably dangerous. Heck, anything over 200 is going to be pushing it on it. The quality of the road isn't so good (cement a couple of k's before Mittagong heading south and after that, bumpy as all hell). Traffic isn't so bad, but lots of trucks, buses. And at 7:50pm there is still a fair bit of traffic on it returning from Sydney/Canberra.

Between Bargo and Mittagong, not too many cops, as it's were the highway patrol zones overlap (one lot stationed in Mittagong, the other in Camden), but plenty between Mittagong and Moss Vale, and Bargo and Campbelltown.
  11. I own a Silvia as my weekend/pleasure car and im active member of the same Silvia communties as the mentioned person, and the only thing i think that was relevant in that entire article was the speed at which he was travelling.

Many Silvia/Import owners who also track their cars use cable ties to hold up their front and rear bars, as the cable ties are strong enough to hold the body work on until the kit is smashed against something. At this point the cable ties break and the body work is relatively un-harmed. The article makes it sound like most of the car was held together using cable ties which joe average would think is entirely plausible.....

Lack of back seats and having tyres in the car is beside the point, and different sources quote different things about the means for securing the battery. Considering the car is use regularly at drifting meets and is extensively modified im surprised the journalists couldn't come up with more imaginative defects to sensationalise what should have been a simple article stating the someone got caught doing a very dangerous and stupid speed - how does it matter what car he was using!
  12. +1 ^^

He's clearly been drifting, hence the cable ties and spare wheels in the back. It's probably been hecticly gutted for da weight saving so no seats, and it smelt like petrol cause it's been hammering round the track. He was stupid for continuing off the track, that's it.
  13. Probably got his butt kicked by a stock Commodore and felt he had to take his frustrations out on the way home.
  14. Fair enough. You've got the local knowledge and I haven't so I'll pay that one.

Rest of the article is still bollocks though :evil: .
  15. :rofl:

Seriously, a boat can't outhandle a jetski :p
  16. Yes, but if it was drift racing then handling isn't really a concern. Commodores do actually make a very good drift car, without the need for expensive modifications (assuming you get a decent V8 version).
  17. Your joking right???

If you have a look at Robbie Bolgers cars in the current DA championship (only one with holden cars) they have way more money spent (easily close to triple in some cases) on them just to compete with the cheaper smaller japanese cars. He is also one of the best (if not the best) sponsored person in the scene with Holden, Castrol, CAPA, VIP Petfoods, Xtreme Clutch, Dunlop Tyres, Bilstein, Modena Engineering all supporting him.

Drifting is all about the handling and less about the power which is why he spends so much money modifying his barges to compete with the smaller more nimble cars. He came runner up in 2006 to Beau Yates in hisAE86 which has less than half the power of Robbies v8.

That said he was last years champion :?
  18. Commodores can get the tail out easily enough.. but a controlled slide? I don't think they're up there.
    180-200SX's and Silvias are popular for a reason.

Mind you, maybe the Commodore has come along way since I used to fang mum's 1992 Vacationer around the 'burbs :p

My favourite thing to drift was my '99 Diesel Hilux... conditions had to be right; ie gravel or wet-road - but once that thing broke loose it was an absolute dream to control. Lot to be said for 4WD's having lighter steering for off-road :)
  19. That's at the top level though. For amateur level stuff a stock-standard, cheap, V8 Commodore should be more than adequate if the driver is any good. Certainly beats spending huge amounts on a small turbo car just so it has sufficient torque at the rear wheels.
    Drifting is all about show, and a Commodore is very controllable on the throttle which is important. If the cars were set up properly for handling and followed the traditional racing line they'd be a lot faster.

Oh and FYI there's 2 Holdens competing this year in the DA championship.

Edit: And Ktulu do a search on the 'net for the Top Gear episode where one of the leading Japanese drift racers was let loose in a Monaro, they drift just fine ;).
  20. Cable ties are good for just about anything. Used them the other week to keep an ingition from falling out (causing the engine to cut out every bump, then start up again because it was rolling) after a stick wouldn't work.

Good times.