Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

250's for enormous men

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Takoma, May 6, 2008.

1. Evening folks

Here's a question I bet you've never heard before: Which bike should I buy? :p

Well, okay, it's a little more complicated than that. I'm in WA, right, and my State Government, in its infinite wisdom, has not seem fit to introduce LAMS. Well, not yet, anyway. This leaves me in a difficult position, because I'm a little bit huge, a little bit enormously heavy, and I need a 250.

I know my bikes, or used to, and come from a family BIG on bikes. Huge. Most of them raced. My Grandma rides an R6. (Yes, really!) However, I've sort of lost contact with the motorcycle world while I was off doing......other stuff (avatar might give you a hint), and things have changed a bit since my day.

Hoysung's a name I never heard until recently. KTM's are more than a novelty import. 500cc Grand Prix has become MotoGP, and Ducati are not only fielding a team, but actually winning a race or two. People are actually paying attention to Superbike racing. Traction control on race bikes. And for the love of all things shiny, four stroke motocrossers!

Let me tell you, back in my day if you'd told me that four strokes would find their way to the MX track, the last thing you'd have heard is the sound of roaring laughter, before you got a whack on the melon with a bottle of Castrol R to send you on your way. Four strokes were those pokey little engines with the skinny exhausts that belong on the road and in wimpy XR's that just don't roar like a dirt bike should.

(I was 11 :p)

I come back after a decade and a half or so, and I see nightmarish Frankenbikes like the KX250F, the CRF250R, and whatnot. I suppose at least the two bangers are still there, for us old timers who just can't let go.

I'm getting distracted. Bear with me.

Anyway, I've returned to motorcycling, all growed up, and it's time to get my license and ride the road instead of the mountain. I'm six foot, and more importantly, about 130kg's. I need something that's going to tow my gigantic behind, right? Hyosung's site proudly trumpets the GT250R as a larger bike, but after a little research the actual dimensions don't vary in any significant degree from say, the ZXR250 (which I hear is now called simply the Ninja 250R).

Any suggestions for someone who's been out of the loop for, oh, say fifteen years?

Thanks, and I'm really sorry for both my wandering post and such a ridiculous, cliched question :p

2. You looking at buying new or 2nd hand?
    If 2nd hand have a look for an Aus-delivered Suzuki GSF250V - it's basically just a 400 with smaller pistons so is about as big as a 250 gets.
    If fully-faired bikes are more your liking the Suzuki Across is also quite good for large riders.
  3. The ZX2R is a larger bike, but is not a Ninja 250R.
    The ninja 250R is the newer GPX250 (EX250), I ride the older style gpx250 and have had no problems for position. (Around 6ft tall)
  4. I like big boys :twisted:

On a more serious note, Jeff was over 100kg when he first got his license. He was riding a ZZr250, and apparently it ran and suited him just fine. Maybe it's something you can test ride? :)
  5. Mate welcome back and welcome to NR.

You will fit on a ZZR/GPX250 (I do and I'm a big bastard) however you may find more room on an upright naked (Bandit, Hornet etc) ZZR is capable of 160km/h (indicated) with me on it.

The best thing blokes of our size can do is try some on.

Good luck.
  6. Yes as etelmo said, the zx2r is NOT the 250 ninja - very different bikes. The first is an inline 4 sportsbike (and its not big, its actually smaller than ninja250, gpx, zzr, etc.) and the ninja 250 is a parrallel twin kinda sports tourerish (but its a 250 so not great at touring).

You'd look retarded on a sportsbike at that weight so I'd steer clear. I'm 80kg and found a 250 wanting for power. Adding 50kg to that and it wont be a whole lot of fun, but doable. I suggest you go on a diet (stop inducing the munchies :p)!
  7. So your a little tacker then... Seriosly we have to introduce you to Voyager. He tortured a poor Varago before he moved up to something with a car engine in its frame.
    At 6 foot seriosly look at the ZZR unless you want new, then yeah the New Ninja or VTR.
    If you want that seriosly sporty Geometry then the Hyo is an option, but have a look around. people have varying experiances with Hyo Quality.

BTW Welcome to netrider.
  8. How to win friends and influence people :shock:

The bloke is asking for bike advice not lifestyle :roll:

Some of us carry a little "insulation" :)
  9. Never heard of the GSF250V, Googling now. Certainly bears thinking about :)

Really? Is the ZX2R discontinued? No mention of it on Kawasaki's site. That'd be a real shame.

And right there, you've hit the crux of the problem. I plan on doing some trips back to the old town, which means about 500km's of 110km/h country roads. I need a bike that can hold those speeds without me having to flog its guts out :p

Yeah, looked at the Ninja and the VTR. VTR's nice, but a little pricey for a bike I'm going to discard once I'm done with my P's. I've also been reading a bit about the Hyo's quality, you seem to have a few very vocal detractors here :p Having said that though, it IS Australia's top selling small bore roadbike (or so I hear), so a few lemons amongst a whole bunch of bikes sold is some math that needs taking into account, I suppose.

Just done some googling, and the GSF250V is indeed a pretty nice looking bike.

The Hyosungs immediately caught my attention because they come with a fuel gauge. Any bike with a fuel gauge instantly goes up ten points in my book, mostly because I hate guesswork, especially when it's 100km's to the next town.

Actually that's something else I was going to ask. Back in my riding days, it was all offroad. There was a mountain near my parent's property (I'm a country boy, or was) and we'd ride motocross bikes up and down it every chance we got. I reckon that's about the most fun I've ever had in my entire life, and something I'll definitely be doing again one day.

I'm getting distracted again :p

The point is, on the mountain we never had to worry about fuel. If you ran out, just coast back down and fill up from the jerry can. My question is, what do you do on the road, without a fuel gauge? In the dirt, you can stop, pop the cap, and wiggle the bike to see how much fuel's left, especially when the plastic tank lets a lot of light through so you can actually see. I don't know about you, but I don't much fancy relying on that when it's 100k's to the next servo, and certainly not in a steel tank where you can't see anything. What do you do? Set your trip meter and hope for average consumption over the trip? That'd make sense, but it's still not as handy as a fuel gauge.

Bikes never had fuel gauges in my day. I know the Hyosungs have them, and my girlfriend's CBF250 has one as well, any other models I'd do well to check out, with that in mind?

Oh, and thanks for the welcomes :)

--edit-- Wow, just did some more googling on the GSF250V, it comes with a fuel gauge! If it's as big as you say it is, then I think I might have found a winner :)
  10. Does the WA government leave any room for exemptions to be granted? I know down here in Tas before LAMS was introduced you could apply for an exemption on the grounds of being to physically large for a 250 and I think were allowed to purchase certain bikes up to a 600.

Having said that, I am 6'3" and 95kg, I ride an Across. Hope this helps
  11. I am a perthie too and I have heard stories of people who are larger then average being granted and exemption to the 250 law purely being that the 250 wouldn't move them :p

So I would suggest test ride a few and if you find them to be too sluggish ring up the RTA here and ask if there is any possibility of being allowed to ride a 600cc bike.

But like I said I have just heard STORIES so I don't know if there is any truth to this but it is well worth a ring and asking.

And good luck with the license man and have fun on which ever bike u choose.
  12. Just calling it how I see it. Theres nothing wrong with big. About 87 is considered 'high' in terms of whats generally healthy for 6foot 1, with 78 being optimal, 43 over that is plain unhealthy unless you're made of muscle.
  13. Mate, relying on a bike fuel guage will get you in trouble. The trip meter is your best friend. FWIW ZZR's get about 400k to a tank.
  14. Yup, when zzr is full - its 400 until you need to change to reserve, then 50 more until totally empty. Fantastic range and economy, I miss it :LOL:
  15. zzr250 is a good bike. Had mine 3 months now.

450ks a tank (if you are conservative on the revs).

I'm 5' 10", 75kgs with a longer upper body length to leg ratio, so a good "jap body spec" I suppose. My feet comfortably sit flat on the ground, although I find the seat could be up a cm easily. Only issue I have is with the feet on the pegs for an extended duration, your legs are quite bent and it can be a little uncomfortable.

Other than that a very good bike. 18lt tank is a boon when you do lots of longer distances.
  16. I get around the same figures on the GPX when I cruise, Giving it heaps and it drops off however.

I would add, the 250 is fine for cruising at 100 and I am way over the end on phizog's healthy scale, Something I should fix, but never get around to.

I am not a speed freek however, I don't care if it takes 1s longer to get up there than another bike, Im happy to put up to the speed limit.
  17. Yep, that's exactly what one does on non-fuelgauged bikes. Eventually you get to know how much economy to expect. I used to get 290km to reserve on the VTR250 doing relaxed touring/freeway work, and 250 or so when riding the wheels off of it.

Plus the bikes without fuelgauges have a 'reserve' level which serves as a reliable tactile warning that you're down to a certain fuel level (usually 2-4L; depends on the bike). Bikes and cars with fuelgauges don't have that 'safety net', so you've got to be 100% certain that the fuelgauge is accurate. ;)

Having driven the 2005/2006 Holden Commodore where in the distance of just 80km the analogue fuelgauge, digital fuelgauge and "range-to-empty" on the trip computer each plummet from 1/3 full and 280km-to-empty to 30km-to-empty-and-rapidly-dropping and TOTALLY EMPTY, well... Forgive me if I'm not so quick to discard fuel-taps. :)

(For the record, my Tiger has an electronic fuelgauge.)
  18. Okay, with the fuel gauge discarded, that opens up my options a little. Thanks for all your help guys, I'm really looking forward to this :)
  19. Welcome to Netrider Takoma.

As has been mentioned (rather too gleefully methinks) by FL, I managed to learn on a Virago, and I'm 6'4 and carry an extra tyre than you do. My attempts to crush that bike are now the stuff of legend around here (amazingly, the bike itself is still running and has been onsold twice since...).

My advice is to go sit on a bunch of bikes and see how the dimensions suit you. Have someone support the bike and get BOTH feet up on the pegs. At 6'1 you won't have too many problems I expect.
  20. I don't think I'll have too many problems size wise, I'm a little more concerned about a bike carrying 130kg's around. As mentioned, I'll hopefully be doing 500km country-highway runs back to the old town, including a long, steep incline up Greenmount (which is a notorious hill leading out of Perth, about half an hour of STEEP uphill crawl).

I don't want to have to thrash the bike near its limits all the way just to hold 110km/h. I have no idea what 250's these days are capable of, I've been away a little while :p

--edit-- Speeling