Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

250cc beyond your P's

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Seth clan, Nov 5, 2010.

1. I'm just curious if anyone has stuck with their 250's after they've gotten their fulls?

I'm quite short and am currently riding a GPX250 but will be selling that in 6 months time when Mr gets his fulls and I finally get to take possession of my brand new 2011 red Ninja :D So I was hoping to keep my Ninja as long as possible so I wanted to know if people generally keep their 250s after getting their fulls.
  2. I upgraded within a couple of months of getting my fulls. However since then I keep going back to small bikes, I did it when I was at uni to save a bit of money, and even now as I can afford multiple bikes two of them are LAM legal.

One is the sxv550 supermotard which really shouldnt be learner legal but the other is a sachs madass 125. The madass works well for tooling around town and just leaving places as I dont care if it gets knocked over or gets stolen. It complements the other two bikes well.

A 250 will do most things a big bike can do especially stay within the limit and some things better. Thats my experience.
  3. I kept my ZZR250 for about 2 years after I got off restrictions. It suited the riding I was doing (mostly commute at the time) and I had no real need to jump on a biger bike.

Once I got into more social riding and doing bigger, longer rides, a bike with a bit more go definitely felt better.
  4. Actually I agree with this trying to keep up with big bikes is tough work.
  5. I would have been quite happy to stay on my 250 but hubby was really eager to get me up onto a bigger bike and I'm glad he talked me into it. Bigger bikes are more stable on the road and I actually feel safer on mine than I ever did on the 250.
  6. I kept my RS125 for red P's, then clicked straight up to a GSX-1100EF. I had a CBR250R for a few months but that was more an excercise in making a profit by doing up a ratty bike.

On another note, you may find you want to keep a smaller bike as a run-around. I know I like my XR600R more than my GSX-1100 for around town - you may find the same when you upchange. You can also have stupid fun through the twisties on a smaller bike due to its rev range and handling, without the hectic speed involved with larger bikes.

Cheers - boingk
  7. +1

What they don't do is safely overtake cars doing the limit on a country highway, or provide a safe level of roll-on acceleration when a car is merging into you in traffic. In other words, when there's no cars around, 250s are perfect.

I have accumulated 43,000 km in 2.9 years on my ZZR250. The main reason I don't upgrade is financial, the other reason is I can't figure out (given financial constraints) what motorcycle I want to upgrade to.

Other than low running costs, the biggest advantage of a 250, or more specifically the GPX250 / ZZR250, is the fuel range. With a range to empty of 400 km even with a heavy throttle hand, you can just hop on this bike and ride and ride and ride, which is great for restless souls such as myself.
  8. yeh they do. [-( You just need to learn to ride it properly. :wink: By that I mean, learn how to pick gaps way in advance that you can build up a proper head of steam for when the moment comes.

I bought myself my second 250 about a week after I got my fulls. Loved the thing. Rode the wheels off it. Literally. Or may be that should be rode it off it's wheels. :-s Only ever had issues overtaking up the steepest climbs. Also had issues with wind blast well up above 100 as it was a tiny tiny naked.
  9. No, they really don't Lilley. The operative word there was 'safe'. Having to build up a head of steam is inherently unsafe. And when you're riding long distances, it also becomes beleaguering and limiting.
  10. As the above three posts suggest, it depends on the type of riding you are going to be doing. A good modern lightweight 250 is more than adequate for a lighter rider in the city.

If you spend a bit of time of freeways or hwys then you really do need good acceleration up your sleeve at 110.
  11. For the 1st time I noticed that my 250 Suzuki Intruder really struggled. I had her maxed out at 100kph on the Western Highway in a 110kph zone. It was a long uphill stretch, although it was a gradual and a huge head on wind. There was nothing left for the bike to give. I could see where a more powerful bike would be beneficial in cases like that.

Other than that, she has more than enough power for me while I'm learning.
  12. I have owned and ridden a lot of bigger bikes from the old xs650 twin to an FJ1100 but recently returned to a 250vl suzuki for work related travel, now I ride the 250 on weekends as well. It really depends on how you want to ride, I am happy enough to flap along on the speed limit and dont overtake unless neccessary. I rode my old BSA 250 bantam around for about 3 years and most modern 250's have twice the power of that old girl but I loved every minute of it. Fuel consumption is another factor and thats why I went back to a 250 after 20 odd years of riding.....cheers.
  13. Don't think for a second that I was being conservative with it. Or riding in the city.
  14. I love riding my 250, but it really does get annoying ringing the nuts off it when going up the mountains etc.

I am hanging out for a bit more power, so that rides uphill won't be such a pain and riding in general will go up a notch (experience wise too!).

...The 250 has been a great learners bike, but the 600 is a calling [​IMG]

I thought I may keep the 250 as a second bike, but chances are, I won't....
  15. I'm with lilley here. A 250 is enough for me to keep up with a few mates on litrebikes so long as we don't get to a line of cars. Or if they don't pin it on the straights. And having ridden a couple of their bikes myself, theres nothing they can offer me that I'd need and my 250 couldn't provide (that definitely isn't to say that I don't want one, I just couldn't rationalise the purchase).

Now that I think about it, there's no real downside to a 250 for what I do - $20 will buy me 400km which is enough for a week of commuting, more than ample power around town and maintenance costs are lower than bigger bikes (thinking tyres etc).

Oh yeah there is, CTP :(.
  16. Get a big single trailie (400~650cc). Cheap tyres ($120 Pirelli's anyone?), good reliability, easy maintenance, good fuel consumption & brilliant around town characteristics. Lots more user friendly than a 250. You'll also have enough power to get out of your own way, with good roll-on due to the big torque they offer.

I've got an XR600R as per my sig line and I can't get enough of it.

Cheers - boingk
  17. +1

Had my 250 for 3 years before I felt I wanted a bigger bike
  18. I started on a 600 and the only way was up! :p
  19. i still got my 250. only problem is that i cant get rid of the thing.

i can understand y people keep the smaller capacity (price and bits r cheap) but for me the 600 is good for both weekend rides where i want to give it a bit and commuting in case of anything popping out to take me out and overtaking
  20. I went for 21 months riding my 250 before I got around to going for my "R" class. Then, so far it's been 7 months still riding the 250.

I will get around to getting another bike, just a question of getting time. The problem with living in W.A. (Work Always) Depending on what I get, if I keep the 250. If I buy a CB400/XJ6/650R type of bike, I wouldn't need the 250. But if I get something a bit insane like a XJR/Fazer/HD, then i might keep the 250 for a run around and commuter.
    All depends.