Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

250cc 4cyl, How bigger muffler can i go?

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by VBman, Oct 5, 2008.

1. just wondering which is the largest muffler you would recommend for a 250cc 4cylinder Kawasaki (ZXR250a).

I was looking on ebay theres quite a few which are off CBR 1000's etc but i imagine they would be too big. But how big is too big? Would one off a 500 or 600 be too big also?

Also what are the positive/negative effect of different sizes.
    I want more power and a gruntier/deeper/louder sound, if thats possible.
  2. Ideally, what you want is a straight-through glasspack muffler, same internal diameter as the final exit pipe of the headers.

Glasspack muffler is what gives vehicles the "throaty" deep note.

I'm sure there are plenty of aftermarket companies which make them for the ZXR250.

You won't make a significant improvement to the power of the bike, though it'll sound like you're going faster, and if the new muffler ruins the low end power of the bike it'll feel faster too.

Changing the internal diameter of the pipe will cause a flow restriction (for better or worse - not necessarily a bad thing depending on the tuning of the exhaust system).

You may need to rejet the carburettors.