Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

250 Redlining

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by RobE, Jan 4, 2008.

1. My commute includes a few long straight country hills; like the 90KMPH extended climb from Woori Yallock to Seville.

Keeping the 1995 CB 250 at the open road speed limit requires some downshifting. Sometimes we get pretty close to the 9000 redline and stay close to it for most of the climb.

She sounds happy enough and is a willing worker but am I pushing the old girl too hard?

2. On highways my 19 year old Honda Spada will sit on 12000 rpm all day if I want it to. The redline isn't a point beyond which the engine will explode. The upper rev range is where your engine is designed to make its best power. If the engine feels fine, don't worry about running high revs to get up those long hills.
  3. Water cooled engines should be fine. I would be cautious of keeping an air cooled unit pumping at redline for more than 10 min at a time.
  4. How steep's the hill and what gear are you in?

If it's a really steep hill I found that my cibby would get to 85 and refuse to go much faster. Although I didn't usually go below 3rd.
    They aren't the most speedy machines in the world, so for what it's worth I'd suggest checking the gear you're in, and if need be just go a bit slower.
    You'll be kinder to the engine and you might see more of the view.

Then once you get a bigger bike (if you choose to), you'll be amazed just how fast you can accelerate up hills. :shock:
  5. I had a CB for about 15,000km and a Virago for about 35,000km. I made those bikes give everything they had, flat out, all the time, heavily loaded. It never hurt them.
  6. Good quality oil and filter changed by the book (or a bit more often) and you'll be fine, oil or air cooled.