Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

250 Hornet troubles

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by blackhornet, May 11, 2014.

1. Hey there guys,

I am looking at replacing the right hand side engine cover (where the dip stick is) on the 1996 mc14 engine as she has a few scratches. I was wondering since they are basically cbr250 engines would a cbr engine cover fit on this bike?

2. From everything I've come across when researching about my Hornet on the net, I haven't found any reason that suggests that a crankcase cover from a CBR250 or later won't fit onto a Hornet 250 for the exact reason you mentioned.

In my part guide for a 1996 Hornet 250, the part# for the cover is 11330-KEA-305. The part for a CBR250RR is 11394-KBH-900, but there only appears to be a cosmetic difference. The gasket, (11394-KBH-900), is the same between models so one would assume again that the covers will fit across models.

Just for reference, here's the Hornet 250 cover, (couldn't find a pic of it on the net):
    Hornet crankcase cover.
    Compared to the CBR250RR one: http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cbr250rrn-mc22-japan_model14666/partslist/E04.html#results

So yeah, hope my long answer answered your simple question :)
  3. According to some internet digging I believe all cbr engines (mainly 90s models) and any off shoots such as the vtr and hornet 250 etc have the same bottom end (with a few modifications over the years) beginning with mc14 so I am almost positive that they will fit. Even the gasket u buy is the exact same for the hornet and cbr so it would make sense.

Thanks for the help