Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

250 cruiser to 750 cruiser. any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by jeffatav, May 16, 2006.

1. I have decided to upgrade from my trusty little xv 250 to a 750 mid size cruiser for easier, longer rides and to take a passenger.
    Has anyone got any recommendations (or cautions) for a good mid size cruiser with both reliability and economics in mind. ( I have just ruled out all Harleys!!)
    Can a good 2nd hand can be better than new?
    I don't mind the feel (in the showroom) of the Honda vt750
    thanx

2. I ride a Kawasaki Vulcan 800 and I love it. Chain drive, carby, water cooled, low seat height, good 2 up tourer, plenty of genuine accessories and after market bling available, bullet proof, gets plenty of looks, easy to ride, plenty of torque, reasonable servicing costs. I can certainly recommend it.

Draw backs: drum brake at rear, no fuel gauge, speedo hard to see with full face helmet on - distinct head movement required, seat could be better especially for longer trips.

3. I've got a Yamaha V-Star 650 classic, it's my first bike and first cruiser i've ridden so i can't compare it to much. You could say much the same about my v-star that rourkster said about his vulcan :) the only difference really is mine is shaft driven so it does snap (not literally) a bit when you give it to it and can pull to the left if you take ur hands off the bars (this isn't recommended practice of course lol).

same draw backs aswell

fuel economy is reasonable, 15km per litre of fuel and that's using BP ultimate

4. http://www.hyosungmotors.com.au/GV650.html

More HP than any of the other brands up to about 800cc, better looking than your 'standard' cruisers, fantastic 90 degree twin, the only cruiser that I have found with a disc on the back...

You know you want one...

5. Hi Jeff

Just sold my Harley and I think it was better than a new one, despite being seven years old.

They can only be better than new if they have been customised to some degree - with either bling and/or performance/suspension mods. Depending on the mod, you may get around 30% back (private sale - even less from a dealer).

The 750-800 class has many options to choose from - plenty of them are upgrading to a bigger cruiser, generally been ridden not too hard and heaps of aftermarket stuff for them. Dealers offer little as a trade in so a private sale could get you a decent cruiser for much less than a new one with plenty of mods from someone who bought a new bigger crusier but wasn't happy with what the dealer offered so he'll hang out for a few extra $$'s.

VT750 was top selling Jap cruiser for first three months of this year - see here

Ride as many as you can but you can also change them to make it fit better.

Good luck in your search

6. Ive ridden a 1999 vt750 from a private seller and he "blings" them up.
    Although it hasn't got all the horsepower to break the sound barrier, it still is an awesome ride and felt great.
    top speed for this bike is supposedly 145 kph, but it has heaps of torque and I really don't want to lose my liscense anyway.
    He says he can tweak it up for more speed etc if needed.
    (You should see what he has done with his own vt750.
    rear discs,custom everything and it looks sensational)
    It looks and feels great so I think I will buy it.
    I will keep you posted and thanks for your input

7. Sounds like it does all the right things to bring a grin to your face. Good luck! :grin:

8. I thought the Honda was about the ONLY 750cc cruiser out there...

I'd check out the V-Star 650 and 1100, they're shaft drive. Then again, wasn't the Honda a shafty as well?

9. Loz,
    the late model vt750s are shafties, but this 1999 model is chain driven.
    I have been told that a chain has more immeadite throttle response than a shaft.
    Is this true?

10. I just spent 6 weeks riding a 06 VT750 shadow around. I usually ride a CBR so I'm no fan of the cruiser. After 6 weeks however I got used it. It's very comfy and great at... well, cruising. No danger of losing the licence on this beast. It's horrible at freeway speeds due to wind, handles like a pig at low speed, and I'd hate to try a stoppy in it, but I guess this is true of cruisers in general. Nice sound, though could be a bit louder (aftermarket pipes maybe).

11. Hi zyn and everyone else.
    thanx for your input.
    I picked up my vt 750 today and rode it home from Gosford to Avalon.
    It was everything I expected.
    Heavy,comfy (especially with the custom solo seat), windy and cruiser slow....... and I loved every minute of it!!!!
    Can't wait for a long ride in the country hills somewhere.
    Thanx again all.
    Jeff

PS I have a really good and original 1990 yamaha xv250 with low k's available for sale now. PERFECT LEARNERS bike!!
    if interested you can email me jeff_kahler@yahoo.com.au

12. Hi zyn and everyone else.
    thanx for your input.
    I picked up my vt 750 today and rode it home from Gosford to Avalon.
    It was everything I expected.
    Heavy,comfy (especially with the custom solo seat), windy and cruiser slow....... and I loved every minute of it!!!! :grin:
    Can't wait for a long ride in the country hills somewhere.
    Thanx again all.
    Jeff

PS I have a really good and original 1990 yamaha xv250 with low k's available for sale now. PERFECT LEARNERS bike!!
    if interested you can email me at jeff_kahler@yahoo.com.au