Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

250 2-stroker road bikes?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by N2O, Sep 13, 2006.

1. So, the Z250 is nearly gone, and I'm thinking a 2-stroker is the next step. Probably the best transition to a 600 I reckon.
    Firstly, I'd like to know what 250 2-strokers are around. I only really know of the RG(V)250, and the NSR250.

But other than that:
    1) How often do they need to be rebuilt (average)?

2) What has to be done for the rebuild?

3) If i'm many k's from home, will it shit itself and need a rebuild, or will it give me fair warning that it's needing the work done?

4)How much does rebuilt cost?

I figure a 2-stroker is likely to keep me happy on my weekends. I figure if I can get really get into it and throw 'er around it can put off me wanting a 600 (which I can't really afford, but really want!!!)

Thanks guys!

2. The stroke 250's that you might want to look for are the following...
    Aprilia RS250
    Suzuki RGV250
    Yamaha TZR250
    Kawasaki KR1
    Honda NSR250

Other than that, theres a few older and more obscure models like the RD's and so forth. If you want the full listing that i used to refer to it's over HERE at the 250cc bike list.

Rebuilds i was told were at 8k-10k km's and involves ripping the engine apart and replacing... umm... i'm not sure, i've never rebuilt a 2 stroke motorbike engine.

It won't be like a light switch that flicks and the bike dies with a light saying 'REBUILD', you'll notice a gradual decrease in performance and perhaps it getting a little smokier than usual. Only ApriliaGirl (now known as Tiga) was unlucky with her RS250 spitting out it's big end bearings at 100km/h.
    If your mechanically adept then owning a 2 stroke is meant to be quite a pleasant experience. I always thought i'd enjoy having a 2 stroke but couldn't bring myself to take a side step over from a 250 4-stroke to a 250 2-stroke... i went up to a 1000. :wink:

3. 1) Rebulid depends on how hard u ride. approx 10,000 for a very hard ridden bike. Up to 20,000 for a not so hard ridden one.

2) Well with RGV's top end invloves pistons,ring,bearing,pins

3) U can tell when it needs a rebuild, when the bike starts ti loose power. No it wont "shit itself" untill its totally shot.

4) Top end rebuild will cost u about $450 in parts then u gotta add labour, or u could do it urself if ur game.

Dont know if its the best transition from a 250 to a 600. U gotta give time u get used to it, but 250 2stroke(2smokey) are great fun.

Have a look at www.rgv250.co.uk for more info.

Natta

4. I'm getting better at the whole mechanical deal.
    I think that if I have a good, quick 250 i won't want to get a 600 as soon as i'm off my p's.

I'm no hoon like flying down freeways at 150+, but I do like a nice quick response if i'm by myself and feel like a thrill.

Can a 2-stroker 250 offer me that?

5. I had an RGV as my first bike. It lasted me just over 4 yrs.
    It can be a challenge to ride sometimes. I thought I got bored of it after a few years, then tried to ride it smoother through the twisty stuff. Keeping it in the band and slick cornering without sudden bursts of power probably could still keep me entertained yrs later! Pity I couldn't afford both Suzi1 and Suzi2.

After having the 750 for a month or so now I'd say that the 2stroker still had a place for thrills. Acceleration is just a different kind of good, and they are damn light for that power. Just treat em nice mechanically and they should serve you well.

6. if you want something a little older, get a yammy RZ350 (or 250) or older still a yammy rd350 (or 250)
    plenty of fun for everyone!

7. look, if you have a top mechanic or your a good mechanic an rgv top end rebuild should give you 30,000 k's. Im talkin replacing pistons, barrels, gaskets, rings u name it.

Im getting my done as I type this. Cost: $500 for parts, $800 for labour :shock: . Thats a good rebuild however by someone who use to race them. Top end's are the first to go the bottom ends last a lil longer :? .

Good luck with your 2 smoker search. They kill other 250's any day. I have mates with zzr's and cbr's, dude I leave em 4 dead. :p

Steve

8. Alright. well the RGV seems my best bet.
    So the new question is:
    how much should I look at spending, and when is the best year for 'em? Did they run out of production in the mid-90's like the cbr's?
    My budget would probably be $5000
    Too much, or too little?

9. i had a schwanz replica rgv, and it cost $350 for top end rebuild (parts only- through dave byrnes nowra) and i did it myself. it worked fine, $800 for labour sounds about right too.
    but if you have simple mechanical knowledge it isnt a terribly difficult job. in fact, removing the fairing is the hardest part :LOL:

{just make sure you have a good torque wrench and manual}

10. RGVs were produced until 1998. The later models will set you back a pretty penny.

I picked mine up a while back (2001) for $3.7k for an M model, with 16,000kms on it. However, the dude had already rebuilt it. Which you might think meant that it was hammered, but he maintained it well and it ran smoothly while i had it.

http://www.rgv250.co.uk/models.htm

11. $5000 would nail it i reckon, i personally wouldnt pay any more. i sold my schwanz replica in good nick for $3000 and thats an 89 model, so if you want a newer one you got plenty

12. Yeah.
    I reckon i'll go between '90 and '94.
    Mechanically, is there any common probs I should be aware of that aren't to do with the motor?
    I figure if I can find one that needs a rebuild anyway, I can get it a bit cheaper and do it myself.

13. ummmm, i didnt have any major drama's with mine mechanically. just know it is a two stroke that revs harder, fires twice as often and will need maintenance more often.
    the veins that deliver 2stroke oil to the barrels can get clogged, which you will notice if one pipe is NOT smoking....other than that i got nothing.
    you'll also notice it has a short wheelbase therefore faster turning than the zed. but if you know that, its not an issue.
    good luck hunting

14. keep your eyes out and you can pick one up for under 4k easily. I'm assuming you are in Melbourne?

Mekros

15. keep your eyes out and you can pick one up for under 4k easily. I'm assuming you are in Melbourne?

Mekros

16. If you follow the manuel you rebuild the top end at 16000kms, and the bottom at 30000kms I think it was, for rgv's. I had receipts from previous owner, and it was $2000 and a bit for a top and bottom end rebuild at a bike shop. For just he parts, was about $380 for top end and pretty sure it was $1050 for the crank assembly.
    My experience with my rs250 was a bad one so Id say go the 600, especially if it is going to be used often.
    Something you should no if you go an rgv or RS and it drops a power valve or the powervalves wear out and hit the piston, which is a common problem. Your looking at big $$, they just become money pits. I had an rs250 and maintained it, played with it myself and got it serviced, just before the valve hit the piston. $$$ to fix.
    All rgvs are pretty old now and it wouldnt surprise me if alot of them needed their barrels recoated, which is $400 a barrel.
    If you can afford it just go a 600, you'll be fine on it if you've had plenty of seat time on your z250.

17. If you're after an NSR250. Checkout the bike store on Station street in Fairfield (opposite to the train station). This is in Melbourne btw.

It's the MC28 model - the one with the single sided swingarm and card ignition. They're rare as and according to the dealer, the bike just had a rebuild. Looks sweet as. i had to stop whilst enroute to work to have a good look at it.

Anywayz.. like the above post, 2strokes can be a real problem. I dragged mine till 22,000kms (before i sold it) without the need to rebuild. But service costs were expensive. Not to mention the usual dose of 2stroke oils.