Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

25 Years ago today - the world (of music) changed forever

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by doonx, Dec 8, 2005.

1. http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/153/821465.jpg

John Lennon
    October 9, 1940 – December 8, 1980

Love or hate his music, he had a message that the world seems to have ignored or forgotten. I think there has never been a time moreso than right now where that message needs to be resurrected and shouted long and high, and heeded.

RIP John Lennon

Imagine there's no heaven,
    It's easy if you try,
    No hell below us,
    Above us only sky,
    Imagine all the people
    living for today...

Imagine there's no countries,
    It isnt hard to do,
    Nothing to kill or die for,
    No religion too,
    Imagine all the people
    living life in peace...

Imagine no possesions,
    I wonder if you can,
    No need for greed or hunger,
    A brotherhood of man,
    Imagine all the people
    Sharing all the world...

You may say Im a dreamer,
    but Im not the only one,
    I hope some day you'll join us,
    And the world will live as one.
  2. Greatest John Lennon song: Working Class Hero

"And you think you're so clever and classless and free?
    Well you're still f#*king peasant as far as I can see"

Greatest John Lennon lyric (again from Working Clas Here):

"If you want to be a hero, well just follow me..."

And I've been following ever since.

We all miss you John.
  3. Idealistic drug-fuelled impracticality, nice melody though.
  4. According to Yoko Ono 670,000 americans have died from gunshots since john Lennon was murdered.
  5. and lots did before too
  6. It was actually 25 years ago tomorrow - Dec 9 our time, Dec 8 in New York. :)
  7. I remember exatly what I was doing that day. Shhite that was the sadest day.
    But Iam happy he was around,Like him or not,He always wore his heart on his sleeve for the world to see(he had no choice).

Name me an artist today that writes and sings for the people to the people.

8. I too remember it clearly, I was 13. I was standing in the kitchen of my childhood home, my Mum was in the loungeroom ironing. A newsbreak came on the telly and announced it, my Mum was agast and saying stuff like Oh My God over and over. I didn't hear the announcement on telly so was a bit panicked that something awful was happening to Mum and ran out into the loungeroom saying What ? What ? What ? over and over. Then she pointed at the telly and told me. I felt better that she was OK, but then was shocked at what I was seeing and hearing.
  9. still was 8/12 Gromit, whatever way you cut it. Otherwise we should be celebrating Xmas on Dec 26 according to that logic
  10. I just remember because it happened on the day after my birthday! Which still makes it 25 years ago tomorrow.

Christmas falls on 25 December, whenever it's 25 December in your neighbourhood.
  11. And now there's only two of them left, and only one with any musical talent

Q. name the great writing combos of the sixties and seventies?
    A. Lennon and McCartney, Jagger and Richards, Brooker and Reid, Lodge and Haywood, and forget the rest......
  12. that's what I'm saying, he was killed on Decmber 8, the anniversary of his death is December 8, whenever it's December 8 in your neighbourhood. Exactly the same.
  13. Page & Plant

Morrison, Manzerek, Krieger & Densmore

Lynott & Moore

Vanda & Young

14. hey Pete I threw that list in because I knew it would be challenged, but, seriously, you can't rate vanda and young along with page and plant et al :p
  15. I'm surprised you didn't pick me up on the Phil Lynott one actually. I thought Thin Lizzy would have been the odd one out.

You don't rate The Easybeats? Firay on my mind? I'm Sorry? Wedding Ring? I'll make you happy?

C'mon!!! :p
  16. You have to distinguish between the anniversary of an event (which happened at a given time, whatever the date was in particular parts of the world) and a customary celebration (which happens when a given date rolls around, wherever you happen to be in the world).

You said it was 25 years since Lennon was killed. So ring someone in New York right now and ask them - they'll say it was 25 years ago tomorrow. You can't both be right.

But I've nurtured my inner pedant enough this morning - carry on!
  17. Lynnot's no problem, but the easybeats were just a noisy garage band. How can you compare "monday, I've got friday on my mind...." with "the long and winding road, that leads to your door", etc. Goodness me, man, in 1964 the Beatles had 7 records in the top ten of the Australian Hit Parade......
  18. Exactly :wink:
  19. Radio has "This is Christmas" on at the moment. It's a great Christmas tune, for some reason it ALWAYS gets me feeling a little meloncholy.

Merry Christmas, I love you all........
  20. Gromit - on Dec 25 at 8:00am AEST, ring up someone in Israel and say Merry Christmas to them, they'll say "Yeah thanks, but it's tomorrow". You're talking about a point in time, I'm talking about an anniversary.

Same same, but different........