Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2092km - 21hrs 29mins

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by Highett, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Combined FR1200G & IBA SS2000 <24hrs

FR = FarRide
    RTE = Ride to eat
    IBA = Iron Butt Association
    SS = Saddle Sore
    BB = Bun Burner
    ST = Stop Time
    MA = Moving Average Speed (Does not include stop time)
    OA = Overall Average Speed (inclusive of all stops)

I like touring and camping out and local rides but I was looking for something more, I met up with some FarRiders at a GTR-AUS GM at Mount Beauty in Oct 2011 and decide that I would have a go.

I joined the FarRiders Forum In Nov 2011 in Feb 2012 completed my first 1000 <24 RTE to Nambucca Heads and Completed my First IBA SS1600 in May 2012.

Long Distance Riding is very challenging, Maintaining your OA, Managing Fatigue and focus, Minimizing stops and working through the associated Aches and Pains from long periods in the saddle.

Fuel availability, Traffic, Road conditions, Weather, Livestock and wild life have to be factored in as well.

Long distance riding for me is a 3 phase event -
    Planning the ride - Which I do well in advance of the planned ride
    Completing the ride - Executing the ride plan and collecting receipts and Ride Data (IBA Certification requires receipts and witness statements etc)
    Post ride analysis - How well did the plan work? can it be improved?

For the Nambucca Heads RTE I decided on a IBA SS2000 <24hrs which I combined with a FarRide, I have done this previously in a loop (Start and Finish at Singleton), the difference this time was that I planned it to finish at Nambucca Heads, stay over night and tour back home via Dorrigo, Armidale, Walcha. Gloucester, Dungog to Singleton.

The reason was simply that with the delays at check in, getting back through the road works, the speed limit changes and traffic I would not be able to maintain the OA to be able to achieve the objective (SS2000 <24Hrs).

I chose a route that was slab riding on the motorway this meant that I had a 110km Speed limit over most of the ride and a time frame that took me through the busy areas in off-peak traffic, the only change I had to make to the plan was at a refueling point at Coolongolook, I was running ahead of my estimated time frame and Coolongolook not being a 24hr servo would be closed so I fueled up at Kuruah at a 24hr servo on the Hwy, Sometimes you have to adjust a plan on the move, it did not effect my time or Kilometers as the servo was on the Hwy as it was at Coolongolook.

Overall I am very happy with the result and have started planning a BB2500G <24hrs, this will be a very tight ride time wise, Fuel stops and stop times will have to be kept to a minimum.

Ride Map

Distance, Overall Average Speed & Time

Ride Statistics
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Good effort & documentation!

I did my first FR last November and will look to do at least one maybe more every year
  3. Not sure if the time and distance are the most impressive bit or the top speed. 2000km traveled without going over 114kph would take a lot of discipline - especially when racing against the clock.

Awesome effort.
  4. Paul, good ride and write-up as usual. Your data analysis is excellent.

Just a heads up for next time: Coolongolook BP may not be 24hours, but the Caltex is 24 hours..
  5. That's stupendous. Doesn't give you much time to stop and smell the roses eh!
    Seriously, how do you keep up the concentration. I remember Sunny Gajjar, the Indian motographer , in his ride around Oz mentioning that the single longest day he did was 1700ks starting at 4am and stopping in Darwin at 9pm! When your butt and arms and back are crying out for release, it's hard to focus. Well done.

6. Having a Motorcycle Cruise Control fitted was the best money I have spent on aftermarket accessories, It made managing my speed so much easier.

Sticking to the plan was the key to success, I needed a OA of 93kmh as my stops were short and I had no trouble I managed an OA of 97kmh and gained time arriving at Nambucca Heads 2 hrs ahead of my projected arrival time.

7. Thanks Peter,

I will add the Caltex into my data base for future reference

8. No there is not much time available and stops can creep out if your not disciplined, The temperature was hot peaking at 42c and if your not careful the heat can suck the strength out of you so I was drinking a lot of water to stay hydrated and wearing an evaporation cooling vest to reduce my core temperature.

I had two unplanned stops, one for a toilet break as I was near bursting and the other was for added clothing as I was cold from the temperature dropping in the early hours of the morning.

Regarding Concentration,

Understanding fatigue, its effects and how to manage it, ensuring that you are in the right frame of mind will help you maintain that high level of focus needed to maintain concentration, How this is accomplished varies from person to person, in my case I changed my diet to mostly protein and cut back on coffee well before the start, Hydration is very important, and a good sleep routine leading up to the ride is important too, if you start tied you are setting yourself up for failure.

9. Iam enjoying reading your ride reports and would love to do some long distance rides on my VN900.
    Just wondering if you use and aux. fuel tank,Or if only the standard tank.What is your normal fuel range?
    Regards Jason
  10. Thanks Jason,

I don't have a fuel cell fitted to my GTR, I have considered it but have not felt that I must have one as yet.

If there is a section on a ride where I am close to my range I do carry a 4 litre container of fuel in my gear just in case, A strong head wind can decease your range a lot and running out 20k short is a long walk.

There have been rides where I have carried 20 litres, mostly because of a servo not being open during the night.

If you are serious at trying LD Riding the FarRiders is a good place to start, lots of experience and information is available there, then the IBA once your up to the longer rides.

11. I'd like to support the notion of an aux tank if you are planning lots of big rides.

I've had them on 4 bikes, and will mount them on any other dedicated LD bikes I may have in the future.

A jerry can can always be used as Paul does, but it is very convenient to have over 40 litres on tap - literally.
  12. I guess 40 litres is handy if you want to ride the Calvert road from NT to the QLD gulf.
  13. Even simpler. I rode up to Darwin and back a couple of days ago. There is no late night fuel in SA for 540km Port AUgusta to Coober Pedy. Tennant Creek to Katherine is 670km. After dark there is supposed to be a 24 hour card swipe at Renner Springs. I slowed down for a look there during the day, but I couldn't see it..

Carnarvon to Port Hedland is 870km with no late night fuel. Longreach to Mt Isa 750km or so and the same.

Caveat here. I know I'm right in saying the Coolongolook Caltex is 24 hour. Those long dry legs I just mentioned were ... well, dry.... when I researched and rode the roads a couple of years ago. those 24 hour card swipe machines will free up more country to more bikes.

Oh, and it is night riding that I'm mainly on about, as is Paul. Its what we do.
  14. We are talking totally different kettles of fish my friend.
    I'm talking about roads that have nothing for 650km, day or night. If you take it on in the wet, you could be waiting a month for someone to come past, and they will probably only have diesel... lol.