Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2016 NSW Motorcycle Fatalities, analysis/trends

Discussion in 'Research, Studies, and Data' started by cjvfr, Jan 2, 2016.

1. #2 oldcorollas, Jan 9, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
    Man dies after car and motorcycle collide on Billingra Road, south of Bredbo
    A 44-year-old man died after his motorcycle collided with a car south of Bredbo on Friday morning.
    Paramedics were called to the smash on Billinga Road off the Monaro Highway, south of Bredbo, shortly before 9am.
    The Snowy Hydro Southcare helicopter was also tasked to the crash.
    The 44-year-old man was treated at the scene but died.

The 39-year-old male driver of the car was subjected to mandatory blood and urine testing.
    It is understood he was not injured in the collision.
    An investigation into how the crash occurred is underway, police at the scene said.

and ahh crap.
    No Cookies | Herald Sun
    Passenger killed in Coalcliff motorbike crash
    A woman has died in hospital following a motorcycle crash at Coalcliff on Saturday afternoon.

Emergency services were called to Lawrence Hargrave Drive around 3.30pm after reports a motorcycle travelling north had collided with two vehicles at the intersection of Paterson Road.

Police were told by witnesses to the crash that the motorbike collided head-on with the first vehicle, which had been travelling in the opposite direction, then ploughed into a second vehicle as a result.

Paramedics treated the bike’s female pillion passenger, believed to be aged in her 40s, and she was airlifted Wollongong Hospital, however she died a short time later.

The rider of the motorcycle, a man also believed to be in his 40s, was airlifted to Wollongong Hospital suffering serious injuries.

The road was closed for several hours while Wollongong police and officers from the force’s crash investigation unit examined the scene.

Police will prepare a report for the coroner.

Anyone who witnessed the accident, or saw the vehicles before the crash, is urged to contact Crime Stoppers.
  2. Motorcyclist, 36, dies in collision with sedan on Pacific Highway at Belmont

A MOTORCYCLIST has died after his machine was involved in a collision with a sedan on the Pacific Highway at Belmont.

The Toyota Avalon, being driven by an 86-year-old man, was travelling north along the highway when it attempted to turn right into an access road about 9.30am on Sunday.

“As the vehicle turned right, it collided with a southbound motorcycle, causing the rider to be thrown to the road,’’ police said in a statement.

The rider, 36, was rushed to John Hunter Hospital but died a short time later.

The elderly man driving the Avalon was taken to Belmont Hospital for a mandatory blood and urine sample.

Lake Maquarie police are investigating.
  3. Male motorcyclist dies after colliding with a truck

A male motorcyclist has died in hospital after he collided with a truck and punctured its fuel tank on Friday afternoon.

Emergency services found a motorcycle lying under the truck on Woodville Road in west Sydney around 3.30pm, according to a NSW Ambulance spokeswoman.

Paramedics treated the man for chest injuries before rushing him to Westmead Hospital in critical condition, however he died a short time later.

He has not yet been formally identified.
  4. He didn't stand a chance, looking at the pictures the trucker crossed his path chopping the bike in half. No skid marks on the road either. (pictures from dailymail.co.uk)
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. there looks to be a skid mark all the way in, going through the 0 of 40, and also visible just below white triangle in bottom image. still gave the tank a decent wallop.
  6. how sobering this thread is
    • Agree Agree x 3
  7. Christ that's scary, i was in a similar situation where a truck pulled out to cut back across my lane and turn left though I had overtaken him before he turned... Should be stricter laws on this... The truckies that sit in between the lanes before they do it is the way to go that way you can see what they are doing, even if they don't indicate correctly
  8. Condolences to the rider's family. Ride safely everyone. There is no trophy for first place on the road, the prize is getting to the end of your journey.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Fatal motorcycle crash - Marsfield
    Monday, 16 May 2016 10:48:41 AM

A report will be prepared for the Coroner after a fatal motorcycle crash in Sydney’s north last week. Just before 6.30am on Friday 13 May 2016, emergency services were called to Epping Road, near Culloden Road, following reports of a collision between a motorcycle and a semi-trailer.The rider, a 50-year-old man, was treated by NSW Ambulance Paramedics at the scene before being taken to Royal North Shore Hospital.He was pronounced deceased a short time later.
    The male truck driver was taken to hospital for mandatory blood and urine testing.Officers from Ryde Local Area Command attended and a crime scene was established. Inquiries are continuing.

Latest Media Releases - NSW Police Online
  10. how terribly sad this is!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. I spotted another one while reading the Daily telegraph in Maccas the other day too. So that's two in quick succession in our region. If I recall correctly it was at Burrawang, Southern Highlands.

Of course the Tele in it's usual inimitable fashion, simply said that the rider slammed into the car or some such thing. While this is possible it is also probable that the car pulled our in front of the rider, but the journos have of course left the impression that it was the rider that was doing the slamming. It's really sloppy, sensationalist journalism, but what else would you expect from a rag that is full of so much crap that they have to give it away at fast food restaurants and airports to artificially inflate it's circulation.

These incidents are incredibly sad and my heart goes out to the riders families. Let's all please make sure that we keep our heads on the ride and watch out for ourselves on the road.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. I am only on my "P"s so can't judge. However, I've been driving for the past 25 odd years and I am just shaking my head on driving and riding performances I can see on my daily commute to work. People need to stop behaving like they are on a race track. That particular section is nasty as cars switch lanes without looking and slamming on brakes to get to the petrol station.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Commuting is one of the safest places statistically for both cars and bikes
  14. i thought parked in a garage is
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. that's why HD accident stats are so low o_O
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. #17 oldcorollas, Jun 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    another f33kwit unrider dead
    ‘Keep riding in paradise’

A TEENAGER has died after he rode a trail bike through a red light and slammed into a car outside a Western Sydney McDonalds.
    Matt Hansell, 18, was riding the unregistered bike in wet conditions when it hit a sedan being driven by a 21-year-old woman on Jersey Rd, Plumpton, at 2.25am.
    Hansell was thrown from the bike suffering serious injuries and died shortly after arriving at Westmead Hospital. His distraught mother arrived at the crash scene as paramedics tried to save her son.
    The female driver of the sedan, who was obeying a green light, was uninjured.

Hansell was well-known in the Mount Druitt area for his death-defying antics on two-wheels. He was among a group of trail bike riders featured in an A Current Affair story in March in which police labelled their reckless riding as “absolute hoon behaviour”.

this would be the bike.. not passing judgement or anything...
    pic 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. waste of a life
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Truck, motorcycle crash kills Sydney teen

A teenager has died after his motorcycle collided with a two-tonne truck in Sydney's south.

The motorcyclist, believed to be aged in his late teens, was taken to hospital following the accident in Sylvania on Friday morning but later died of multiple injuries.

The driver of the truck, believed to be in his 50s, was taken to hospital for mandatory tests.
  19. What a waste of a young life.
    • Agree Agree x 1