Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Featured 2015 BMW R1200R; Who's ridden/Owns one?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by bobthekelpy, Apr 18, 2015.

1. As the thread title states, has anyone here ridden one of the new R1200R's or owns one?

Care to offer your thought on it? I will eventually get around to organising a test ride (if possible) with BMW, but in the mean time it would be good to hear some opinions first.

It has heaps of features I like, such as multiple seat heights, cruise control, heated grips and luggage options. Plus these motors have been known to do huge k's.

Currently own a Monster 1200, but find myself doing a lot of commuting and the odd over nighter and weekend ride, I think the BMW may fit my purpose better. So am considering the change.
  2. I've ridden a couple, well built, comfortable, etc. Lovely things and I'm thinking of adding a NineT to my current collection.
    The R1200R is as close to the perfect do it all naked bike IMO.

I went with a K1300R as it was too good a deal to turn down, but I'd have been perfectly happy with an R1200R.
  3. They've not long arrived, so you'll probably start seeing more local ride impressions over the coming weeks. I take it you've read the launch ride impressions by now.

I get the early impression that it takes things up a notch or two from the last model, which was often described by owners as very capable, but lacking in the areas of much personality and visceral appeal.

The new Boxer appears to have changed that somewhat, and the extra shove has to be welcome.

The new RS is worth a look too, if you want to do some travelling.
  4. I've ridden the water cooled GS and RT.
    The extra go and the better balanced engine are very welcome over the previous hex/oil heads.
  5. Sat on both R1200R and F800R side by side. I thought the R1200R lacked flare compare to the F800R. I know, slightly different concept bikes, but I'd have the F800R any day. but it's not a shaft.
  6. Sorry to all for the belated response, thanks for your opinions, i'm going to test ride one on Saturday. I'll report back on my thoughts of the bike.

WombleWomble I do like the look of the RNineT, but discounted it when shopping around initially, as I think it's too over priced for what you get.

WaynedWayned Yeah, have certainly read all the material I can find online about it, I agree that the extra hp provided by the water cooled motor should be good. I have discounted the RS version though as i'm not real keen on faired bikes, especially the half fairing look.
  7. Well, the multiple seat height translates to, you can buy a higher or lower seat than the standard.

The cruise control..... dunno....I've never seriously thought of such a thing on a motorbike.

Heated grips makes sense.

The "luggage options" seem to be non-optional.

As far as I could make out, the "touring package" gets you a centre stand (not supplied with base model) and mounting kit for panniers and a top box, as well as a mounting (note ONLY a mounting) for a GPS on the handlebars.

I found it difficult to actually see, and get the price for, the panniers and top box.

It also appears to be quite difficult to get an R1200R without some of these "option" packages, like the touring package.

The sales person at BikeBiz showed me a picture of an R1200R with the big panniers and top box, but looked very confused when I asked about "city" lids for the panniers.

As for these motors doing huge kilometres....... how do we know that?

Yeah, my old oil head Boxer is up at nearly 150 thou kms and still going sweet, but I also remember the early batch of S1000rrs where the motors weren't all that flash and some died in the first few weeks of use.

Frankly, while it does look the business, choice of colour is crap, with the blue one, which would be the best for me, being the "base" model.

The touring model is a really dull black/grey thingy, while the "sporty" <snigger> model is a very lairy white with red frame..

I was slightly tempted to show more interest when I saw the blue and white R1200RS,
    but, when ONC and panniers and top box blew the price up to near enough 29 grand
    and I'd be buying, sight unseen, top boxes and panniers......I quietly got on my old R850R and rode off.

I might show some more interest come Christmas time, but, at the moment, I wasn't THAT impressed as to want to do a test ride from Parramatta.
  8. I think it's a good thing that these days manufacturers are offering multiple seat height, with some (although not the R1200R) offering adjustable seats. Being around 169cm, this is important to me. The standard seat height on the R1200R at 790mm, should be perfect for me anyway, but unless the seat is very wide it won't be necessary to go down to the low option.

I don't mind doing some longer rides, some that sometimes include freeway stretches. Cruise control becomes a very welcome addition. I have used various throttle locks, and although they serve a purpose, they're not that great really. So not mandatory, but a nice addition.

Heated grips are awesome (yeah, i'm getting soft). With the Monster, heated grips are offered in some markets as a factory accessory, but in Australia it's not supported?? I was un officially told by the dealer that it has caused some issue with their ride by wire system (not on the Monster I don't think, but other models). I have no way of knowing if this is true or not, but either way I was sternly informed to not fit any aftermarket ones to the Monster. The electrical diagram in the owners manual even shows the connections for heated grips..

Yeah, same. Struggled to find online any pricing for their luggage, but going to a BMW dealer on Saturday to test ride, so I can ask pricing etc then. I have a set of C-Bow panniers for my Monster, I can probably source new mounts to suit the R1200R from Hepco & Becker at around a couple of hundred.

In regards to huge k's on the boxer twins, this is just anecdotal opinion based on riders reporting well over 100,000k's from these motors. A friends R1150rt has done 250,000k's and is still going well, just regular servicing. We all know there are no guaranties of this, but if treated well it should be achievable for most motors. Especially one under stressed like the boxer twin, it's not exactly a highly strung motor. My biggest thought is really the long term reliability of the electronics packages on modern bikes, not usually cheap to repair electrical faults with these systems. I pretty sure the S1000rr motors are inline four cylinder, not boxer twin, so not really relevant for comparison.

I agree the blue looks pretty good, but I don't mind the grey either. The white looks ridiculous with the red frame, looks to be pretending to be something it's not. I don't think there is any argument that these are not sport bikes. Despite the marketing by BMW...
  9. I guess that is why I have a sort of prejudiced view of the new BMWs.

My R850R, from 1998, you lift the rider's seat, and, clipped onto the bottom of the seat is an allen key.

This allen key is the one you need to adjust the seat height thru High, Medium and Low possies.

The key is clipped to the rider's seat so you don't have to lift the passenger seat and get at the full tool kit.

Thoughtful and carefully done. Takes about 3 or 4 minutes to change seat height.

Good luck with the info re panniers and pricing.

You may well find, as I did, that it's hard to get an R1200R without the "touring" package of pannier and top box mounts.

The longevity or otherwise of various bits on the new BM.....

as I said, the early (perhaps rushed into production?) S1000rr was not, initially, a resounding success.

There have been some horror stories of the ABS controllers deciding that they have had enough, too.....a very expensive wee box, if it fails just out of warranty.

On some of the older ABSed BMWs, it was a valid option to remove the ABS and go back to "traditional" brakes, but I suspect that the current crop have the electronics too well integrated to actually do this.

Dunno about you, but, when it comes to buying computer software, a Version 1.0 really doesn't tempt me. ;-)
  10. Thanks CrazyCamCrazyCam , yeah, modern electronics.. I'm quite skeptical of their long term reliability. Generally it's a replacement, not repair for most faults. Could quite quickly add up.

I don't think the new R1200R has really been rushed so to speak, the water cooled motor has been in the gs for around a year now hasn't it? Plus most of their electronics packages have been used in other models, so it seems just evolution to include this in this model.

Anyway, it's one of the few BMW's that I don't mind the look of. We'll see how my view changes after the test ride. Going to probably ride the S1000R whilst there as well.
  11. Aye, and I'll bet threepence that BMW will do their damnedest to secure the internals of the computer stuff from outsiders, so that a BMW owner HAS to go to the BMW agency for services.

With the likes of the Triumph Street Triple, software was, and is, available for owners to connect to the ECU and, generally, see what's going on.
  12. Interesting. I had a similar chat with a mechanic when getting new tyres on the Monster, he said that servicing is not a problem, but Ducati (and probably most manufacturers) are very reluctant to share updates (for their OBD diagnostic scanners). I can't see BMW being any different.. I see this as a safety issue, by not sharing potential updates, I reckon it could put a owner at risk.

Is this what you are saying Triumph are sharing? Or have I mis interpreted?
  13. Not exactly.

The updates business is, indeed, a potential issue if a vehicle isn't taken to connect to the appropriate diagnostic system.

But what has happened with Triumph, probably not to their wishes, but <shrug> other folk have developed software which can be connected to the OBD port allowing the owner of a bike to "read" the problem codes and have a good idea of what, if any, faulty parts need replacing.

On the Triumph that I had, there wasn't too much other than fueling and timing, no anti lock, no anti-wheelspin, so it wasn't too much of a worry to me.

A good dyno-operator, with knowledge of the software, could, and did, dial in better than standard engine performance.

I have, however, had a rented VW Polo try and kill me, almost certainly because it had never, in its short life, been connected to a pukka VW agent for servicing, and software updates.
  14. There does seem to be some incorrect information here. The 2015 1200GS adventure I just looked at las week does have an adjustable seat. I'm pretty short and it only took about 30 seconds to to flip over a locating plate under the seat and it dropped down. No tools no hassle

I'm getting one because a friend of mine has had both an 800GS and now a 1200 GS. An both are fantastic bikes and have been trouble free.

Hence my shopping trip
  15. I rode one at Philip Island for one session. Comfy, grunty, I liked the quick up/down shifter. She ain't no track bike though. :D
  16. Oh and you have to see the left twistgrip to believe it. It looks like it's been on holiday in Thailand and come back with a nasty case of the buttons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Mind you cruise control is absolutely magnificent and should be on every bike ever made.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Aye, and the right hand one is just as busy....

I did ask the salesman at Procycles how long was the course to actually learn what all the buttons did.........and how much it cost.
  19. #19 bobthekelpy, May 16, 2015
    Last edited: May 18, 2015
    The test ride this morning went well, verrrrrry smooth throttle and feel from the whole bike compared to the Monster. Incredibly light RBW, but still felt a good connection to the response from the bike. It's a deceptively quick bike, it just pulls along with no fuss at all.
    I found the standard seat height pretty good for me at 169cm, easy enough reach to the ground and quite good ergonomics between seat and pegs. The bars felt closer than on the Ducati, made me sit more upright, but also gave good control.
    Testing out it's features, I really could't notice too much difference between the Dynamic and Road modes whilst on this ride, it might be more apparent when loaded up or in more corners. The cruise control works similar to your cars, i.e. you can set it, then nudge speed up or down using the buttons, brake or clutch will disengage it. Heated grips felt hotter on the right grip? Normally it's the left side that feels hotter. Tyre pressure monitors are a cool feature.
    The brakes were nice and strong, back brake had good feel. Considering the test bike had only 30k's on it when I left, they probably hadn't even bedded in properly yet.
    My only niggles would be that the gear lever felt a long way away, sometimes I only just had my toe under it. I don't have particularly small feet or anything, but I did get used to it. Torquey engine, so no real need to be doing tonnes of gear changes anyway.
    It would make a very good alrounder, but I think commuting (lane splitting) would have to be done carefully, it is a wide bike.
    So now the big question. Do I trade my Monster??

LozLoz Yeah that left hand switch block is pretty busy, although after a brief run down from the sales guy, I found it pretty intuitive to use and got to have a good play with them on the ride.
  20. [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2