Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2014 Victorian Motorcycle Fatalities, analysis/trends

Discussion in 'Research, Studies, and Data' started by robsalvv, Jan 6, 2014.

1. #1 robsalvv, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2014
    Thread place marker to capture and perhaps pick up trends in rider fatalities for Victoria.

Last year's total of 41 is the equal second lowest total since 2005. In that time January has had as low as one fatality and as high as seven.

Ride safe folks.

Previous Years:
    2013 Victorian Motorcycle Fatalities, analysis/trends
    2012 Victorian Motorcycle Fatalities, analysis/trends
    2011 Victorian Motorcycle Fatalities, analysis/trends
  2. Tragic start. Faaark.
    (And another crash in the Yarra Valley - at bottom of story)

Motorcyclist, 61, dies after being hit by falling tree in Yellingbo
    A 61-YEAR-OLD motorcyclist has died after being struck by a falling tree in Yellingbo.
    And it is the third time in eight months someone has been killed or seriously injured by a tree falling on to a car or motorbike in the Yarra Ranges.
    Yarra Ranges highway patrol Leading Senior Constable Graeme Rust said the Monbulk man was riding his motorbike south along Macclesfield Rd at 4.45pm yesterday when a tree on the side of the road snapped and fell across the road as he was riding underneath it.
    A 15m section of the tree, which was part of the trunk, struck the man on the head and he died at the scene.
    "It is a very tragic event - he was very unlucky," Sen-Constable Rust said.
    Sen-Constable Rust said the man was riding with a group and one of his friends saw the incident.
    He said Macclesfield Rd was managed by Yarra Ranges Council and police would be notifying the council of the incident.
    He said a report would be prepared for the coroner.
    A Mt Evelyn man, 54, was flown to hospital with serious injuries after a tree fell on his car, causing him to crash in Swansea Rd, Montrose, on October 1 last year.
    And Kilsyth teenager James Winchester, 19, was killed on June 12 last year when he was driving along Glasgow Rd in Kilsyth and the branch of a large gum tree crashed through his windscreen.
    Motorcyclist flown to hospital after Coldstream crash
    In a separate incident yesterday, a man was flown to hospital after a crash near Coldstream.
    Sen-Constable Rust said a 30-year-old Ringwood man was riding his motorbike along Maroondah Highway towards Lilydale at 2.15pm when he ran into the back of a stationary vehicle waiting to turn right at Tarrawarra Rd.
    The man was left unconscious and was flown to The Alfred hospital with head and arm injuries.
    Maroondah Highway was closed for several hours as traffic was diverted around the incident.
  3. Very sad. Having had an enormous branch crash to the ground in front of me, less than two months ago, that sends a chill up my spine.
  4. faaa... just around the corner from our ride, very sobering.
  5. Went through Yellingbo and Coldstream on the same day too. Chilling and very sad. Hope the injured rider recovers OK.
  6. That's a favourite road of mine. What a shocker. That would seem to be a true accident. RIP mate. So far it hasn't been counted as a road fatality.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Motorcyclist dies in collision with vehicle
    • JANUARY 08, 2014 5:44PM

A MOTORCYCLIST has died after crashing into a car in Mount Macedon this afternoon.
    Police believe a Mazda sedan was travelling south on Mt Macedon Rd when it collided with the bike just after 3.30pm.
    The male rider, who is yet to be formally identified, died at the scene.
    No one else was injured, police said.
    "The driver of the Mazda, a Woodend woman, is currently assisting police with their inquiries," Senior Constable Melissa Seach said.
    Anyone who witnessed the collision is urged to contact crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or visit crimestoppers.com.au.
  8. I've been scouring the online media for news on this reported fatality, haven't found anything more and it hasn't been entered into the TAC's crash stats database yet which means there must be some complicating factors. Very unusual.
  9. All the reports say the rider has not been identified, perhaps that's why there is a delay?
    From - http://www.elliottmidnews.com.au/story/2013444/crash-claims-rider/?cs=1479
    "A motorcyclist died at the scene of a Mount Macedon accident on Wednesday afternoon.
    The 42-year-old man from Sunbury veered onto the wrong side of the road when he collided with an oncoming car.
    The Mazda sedan was travelling south on Mount Macedon Road when it struck the motorcycle just after 3.30pm.
    The sedan driver, a 37-year-old Woodend woman, escaped injury.
    Police are investigating the circumstances of the accident."
    There is a photo accompanying that story of a what looks to be a badly damaged Harley Davidson.
  10. Your google fu is better than mine (and I set up an ongoing alert) - that's the most information so far on the fatality. The pics suggest a FTNB collision.

So far, there's been two fatals, neither added to the road toll at this stage.
  11. I'm guessing Failed To Negotiate Bend
  12. Yes.
  13. The car is damaged on the left hand side.
  14. cheers for the acronym education
  15. That one is as old as the hills and only has 16 pages of Netrider Search results. lol

On a positive note, no reports over a belter of a riding weekend. (makes the Italian anti mozz sign)

On another note, the Macedon fatal has been officially added to the road toll.

A motorcyclist has died as a result of a crash that occurred in Caroline Springs this afternoon.

Investigators believe the motorcyclist was travelling along Bushy Park Avenue around 3pm when the rider lost control of the bike.

The 22-year-old Burnside Heights man has come off the bike and hit a parked car.

The man was transported to hospital but died as a result of his injuries.

Police urge anyone with information regarding the incident to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or visit www.crimestoppers.com.au

Provisional Road toll:

2014: 15

2013: 8

Belinda Batty
    Media Officer
  17. #18 robsalvv, Jan 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
    Bugger. RIP.

The map of that street shows that there is a sharp bend.

...naturally I don't want to speculate, I'll wait for the TAC report and any local media. Keep an eye our for some more news.

Edit: TAC stats page has listed the crash type as "misc". Looks like initial reports don't know what happened. 21/1/14
  18. link

A man has died after a motorcycle crash in Labertouche this afternoon.

It’s believed the motorbike has left Labertouche North Road around 3.40pm and ended up on the other side of a small creek.

The rider, believed to be aged in his 20s, was worked on by paramedics but died at the scene.

Police will prepare a report for the coroner.

Provisional Road Toll:

2014: 19

2013: 13

Belinda Batty
    Media Officer
  19. #20 robsalvv, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
    A little more on the report above - the rider was from Drouin.

= = = = = =

POLICE have reminded motorists to be careful on the roads after a 22 year old Drouin man died having lost control of his motorcycle in Labertouche yesterday afternoon.
    In a statement Victoria Police said it was believed the man lost control on Labertouche North Road at around 3.40pm.
    Paramedics worked on the man but he died at the scene. His motorcycle ended up on the far side of a creek near the road.
    The incident brought the state’s provisional road toll to 19, six higher than the same time last year, and was one of five deaths on Victorian roads in the past 24 hours.

= == == = = = =
    Thankfully, I didn't read or hear about any fatals today, especially given that the roads were thick with bikes today - but I did hear about a serious crash on the Kinglake road that shut the road down for a few hours. Best of luck to that rider.