Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2014 VFR800F

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by adprom, Nov 19, 2013.

1. The new VFR800F was announced a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-new-bikes/2014-honda-vfr800f/23894.html

Very interested in one of these as my next bike if everything is right. However Honda Australia have said ask again in March about pricing and availability.

The VFR1200 has 12,000km service intervals - I wonder if this will begin to make its way to the sub 1000cc bikes as well.

• Like Like x 1
  2. I don't see why it wouldn't. My 2011 VFR800X Crossrunner has 12k service intervals.

3. Oh it does? Excellent. Makes it a very attractive option then.

4. A beautiful bike from Honda this time. I love those LED headlights and the wheels.

5. No way would I leave oil in my bike for 12000 klms no matter what the manufacturer says. Plain crazy to me

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. The Honda guy at the motorcycle show said absolutely definitely well twenty grand, and the 2013 white edition is now at $13,990!

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. I can safely say that Honda Aust are one of the greediest importers around that I can think of. They have killed many bikes in the past by pricing them, well, extortionately. The CB1000R and the VFR1200 come to mind, even though they have tried to redeem themselves with the latter by offering huge discounts (I'm quite surprised actually they haven't yet taken the VFR1200 off the local market given their history of killing off bikes on which they can't make much money). Look at Yamaha, they still have the MT-01 and the XJR1300 on offer locally even though they are not big selling models. On the other hand the CB1100F is gone from the local Honda lineup within couple of years of its release!

If Honda Aust priced this bike at $20k, then I can say it will well and truly meet the same fate as its bigger brother, the VFR1200, or even the CB1000R which was taken off the market not because it was a bad bike, but because it was priced ridiculously high.

8. Put a beautiful wheel on it then cover it up with a big, fat, fugly silver exhaust.

Same problem on my bike as well, shits me.....

9. On purpose, to make you buy a nicer one as a 'custom accessory'.
    There's a market for this bike. I hope it works but the price has to come down.

10. #10 hornet, Nov 30, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
    Honda HAS taken the unloved VFR 1200 off the market....
    And NAK, as I posted above, the 800 will be 'well under $20,000

11. Your sure about that? it's still listed on their website.

12. Yes I am, based on the fact that one of the Honda officials on the stand at the Show said so.

As well, there's a story going round that Honda may be going to recall the models that have been sold already. The Honda guy didn't say that, though :LOL:

13. oh.. so it's hearsay, rather than a fact....

14. Hornet could be right, I wouldn't put too much faith in Honda Aust's website. They are quite incompetent when it comes to updating their website - the models, the colour schemes etc. are not up to date in majority of the cases. Guess the poor guys at Honda Aust are doing it tough and are on a very tight budget despite selling the most number of bikes.

15. That's what I thought. Had a look at the accessory exhaust for mine (and at $2k looking is where I stopped), and although it looks better than the factory can, it still covers up the wheel....

16. Well at only 240 kg and 100 hp it's only 40 kg and 30 hp short of where it should be. I'm glad they've managed to take some weight off the fat biatch but you would think that in 20 years of powering dreams, Honda would have been able to squeeze a bit more power out of an engine, rather than less.

Whoever signed off on the aethetics should be taken out the back and shot.

I would humbly tender that the street triple and mt09 have already rendered this bike redundant.

It can be done using completely bullshit sump capacities. There really isn't any reason other than lengthening service intervals for running a 4L sump capacity on an engine of 1L displacement. It's also how cars get upwards of 15000 km service intervals (separate gearbox and lowish engine loads notwithstanding).

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Why? Is that some kind of magical number for the perfect motorcycle?

well besides being practically the same as the previous gen (no one is going to miss 2-3kw), the engine has been tuned for better use of low and mid power, so while it's peak power might be slightly less, it doesn't mean shit if it makes more torque earlier (the proof will be in the riding)...

this is how you tell riders who don't know shit apart, when they quote specs and compare bikes on paper, manny crucial details are missed.

LOL why are you comparing a naked, a motard and a sports tourer?

that narrow hard seat on the MT-09 isn't going to be much fun on a long trip

the naked Street triple is going to leave you feeling buggered after 1000km's getting buffeted by the wind

neither the Mt09 or the triple have integrated lugged.

you are comparing bikes that are completely unrelated to each other that set out to meet different design briefs and appeal to different riders for being fit for purpose.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. I agree with iClint. The spec requirements of sport tourers is different to the spec of other bikes. That's what makes different bikes DIFFERENT! VFR's have been "under powered" and "overweight" for at least 15 years, possibly longer, but that doesn't stop people from buying them. In fact, the way the bike has been received on the VFR forums has been generally positive. A couple of specific points:

The exhaust is irrelevant because VFR owners generally install lighter, louder aftermarket pipes anyway, and there will probably be high-mounted options available.

Aesthetics is a personal thing, and what looks good to one person looks ugly to someone else. Also, bikes are notorious for looking worse in photos than in real life. For example, the VFR1200 looked fugly to me when I first saw it on paper, but when I saw one in real life for the first time, my mind changed, and I thought it was a mighty fine looking bike!

VFR owners generally realise that a broader spread of torque is more usable on the street than a high peak power. Will it keep up with certain other bikes? At the limit of the bike's potential, possibly not. At the level that most people ride on the street, yes!

Would it be nice if the new VFR had more power and less weight? Yes. Does it make a difference to the way that most VFR riders ride? No (and there are some pretty quick VFR riders out there).

Does my defence of the bike mean I think Honda has done a wonderful job? No. If they had used upside down forks, and added full damping adjustability I would've thought it was better. 20kg less would be nice too (not that a 220kg dry/ 245kg wet bike is ridiculous). But then there wouldn't be anyone making weird and wonderful "Frankenviffers" with parts from all manner of other bikes (including USD forks) to get better suspension and less weight. And let's face it, a Frankenviffer with USD forks is going to turn my head faster than one that comes from Honda with USD forks!

Sorry to whomever was dissing the bike, but you don't know jack schitt about what the market for this bike wants!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. No magical number, just a suggestion of sloppy engineering. What need is there for a medium capacity bike to be 240 kg?

The wonderful advantage of variable valve timing means that it can be tuned for both top and bottom end. Honda have had vtec for 30 years now, they should be able to squeeze some power out of it. Yeh yeh, they tuned the vtec for better rideability but at the end of the day it's still overweight and underpowered. Case in point the street triple - It has close enough to be the same power output from a smaller engine and at least 50 kg less. Everyone that has ridden the bike loves it. No one has ever complained about how it is tuned, in fact the rideability is the selling point. the VFR needing 40 hp was a bit of an exaggeration, granted, but with the extra displacement honda could have at least managed a bit more power and rather less weight without sacrificing rideability.

Or they've ridden the previous bikes and would hope that honda would advance appreciably over the summer break. It doesn't take a genious to spot that they could have tried a bit harder to make it relevant to others, not just previous vfr owners.

After saying not to compare bikes on paper I find this a bit amusing. Youjust called the mt-09 is a motard? Ok then...

This is why I compared "a naked, a motard and a sports tourer". People will buy the bikes to ride them. They will buy one and ride it, that's what you do with bikes. If they happen to do a long distance trip, they will ride the bike they own. Some may have 10 different bikes sitting in the garage waiting for the correct opportunity to take each out according to their strengths, but 99% just ride what they have. If people want a softer seat they will buy a gel seat. If they want a wind deflector they can buy or make one themselves. Both the triples could easily be toured by anyone so inclined and people wont buy a special touring bike for when the biennial extra long tour occurs, they will ride what they have. In the meantime, people would rather the triples as day to day road bikes because they are better as day to day road bikes. Hence the conclusion that the street and mt-09 have rendered this bike redundant from those that will chose a bike without any bias - granted the vfr lovers will all be going for the new one, but they are hardly impartial.

In all honesty I'm not surprised. It's barely changed from the previous design, and among those with an emotional connection to the previous design, it will be rather well received. People don't like it when other suggest their favourite isn't the bees knees, that's just human nature. Check the response when chris harris suggested the r32 golf wasn't everything he hoped it would be: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...arris-on-the-MKIV-R32&p=79548610#post79548610

And please note that I'm not saying the vfr won't be a good bike. I'm saying there's no good reason it couldn't be quite a decent bit better. The weight is really the major thing, at 240 kg, that's entering territory of other very very capable big capacity sports tourers, particularly the zx14 and hayabusa, not to mention others.

Undoubtably. This looks far to much like a cross between the cbr250 and the ninja 300, both which I find horrible to look at.

20. I do wish it had gear driven cams. Take a weight penalty for that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1