Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2013 Victorian Motorcycle Fatalities, analysis/trends

Discussion in 'Research, Studies, and Data' at netrider.net.au started by robsalvv, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2013 and January's fatality count has begun. Very few details.

= = = =

http://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/more-news/11358-fatal-collision-at-kinglake.html

Fatal collision at Kinglake

Thursday, 10 January 2013 12:21

Police are at the scene of a fatal collision in Kinglake.

Investigators believe a motorcycle was travelling east on the Healesville-Kinglake Road when it collided with a car around 10.50am.

The solo motorcycle driver, believed to be a man in his 60s, died at the scene.

No one else was injured.

Provisional Road toll:

2013: 3
    2012: 5

Jess Foulds
    Media Officer
    VP24975/2013

== = = = =

2. watch the police presence intensify further now....

3.  Top
  4. ===

Man, 60, believed to be Ulysses motorcycle club member, killed in crash in Kinglake
    • by: Jon Kaila, Megan Bailey
    • January 10, 2013 7:05PM

A MOTORBIKE rider was killed when he collided with a car in Kinglake today.

The 60-year-old biker was riding east on Healesville-Kinglake Road when he crashed with the car around 10.50am

He was travelling with a group of 20 riders, thought to be part of the Ulysses motorcycle club, but he and another rider had ridden out a long way ahead when he crashed.

Kinglake Police Sergeant Ron Brown said it is believed the rider came too hard around a corner and crossed the double white lines, hitting a car, which then hit a barrier. Sgt Brown described the crash as "an unfortunate accident".

No one else was injured in the collision.

It came after three people were injured when two cars and a bus collided in Melbourne's southeast this morning.
    Police believe the smash occurred as the vehicles were travelling near the corner of McGregor Rd and Henty St in Pakenham at 5.40am.
    Ambulance Victoria spokeswoman Susanna Wilson said paramedics initially feared the collision had caused disastrous damage, but were relieved to find three people in a stable condition when they attended the scene.
    “Thankfully all three people were in a stable condition when we arrived,” she said.
    The injured trio were transferred to Dandenong Hospital.
    It is not yet known which of the vehicles the injured were travelling in at the time of the smash.
    There have been three deaths on Victorian roads so far this year, compared with five deaths at the same time last year.
    - with Erin Marie

= = =

• Like Like x 1
  5. was out there this morning. down hill left hander. looked like sand all over the road soaking up the oil. poor bugger.

6.  Top
  7. Just capturing the Vic Pol media release:

Motorcycle rider killed after Craigieburn collision

Friday, 18 January 2013 21:49

Police are investigating the death of a motorcyclist after a collision in Craigieburn earlier tonight.

Its believed the 35-year-old was heading south on Bridgewater Road just before 7pm when he attempted to overtake a vehicle and lost control.

The Craigieburn man struck a pole near the intersection of Gillingham Crescent and died at the scene.

Members of the Fawkner Highway Patrol will prepare a report for the coroner and any witnesses to the collision are urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or visit www.crimestoppers.com.au

Provisional Road toll:

2013: 6

2012: 15

Senior Constable Marty Beveridge
    Media Officer
    VP25184/2013

8. So far it appears Vic has halved the road toll. Has TAC made any statements yet?

9. They make a regular weekly statement which compares the toll to the same time last year.

They daren't take any credit for the reduction. They'd have to take credit for the out of norm spike this time last year.

10. I'm actually surprised that they haven't taken credit for the reduction, but still blamed us for last years spike. I would imagine a statement something like "It is pleasing to see the message is getting through to riders, with the road toll being halved compared to the same period last year".

Or am I being to harsh on them?

11. Just to clarify, I was talking about total fatalities.

Compared to this time last year, the total is half, mainly because so fewer passengers have been involved in fatal crashes this year. Not sure how TAC could argue that that is their influence.

12. I'm still surprised they haven't tried.

13. :( RIP​
    Motorcyclist dies at Hoppers Crossing
    Saturday, 26 January 2013 18:25
    A motorcyclist has died after hitting a power pole at Hoppers Crossing this afternoon.
    The 44-year-old male rider was travelling along Virgilia Drive when he lost control on a bend at the intersection of Bottlebrush Drive and crashed into the pole about 4.35pm.
    Despite the best effort of paramedics the Hoppers Crossing man died at the scene.
    Police will prepare a report for the coroner.
    Provisional Road toll:
    2013: 14
    2012: 24

14. RIP. :(

That reminds me of an fatality a couple of years ago. It turned out the rider was in the process of overtaking a slow moving car, when the car suddenly dived into a side street. The rider evaded but lost control and crashed. I'm not saying that happened here - but just file this story away in your mind just incase you ever do come up to a dithering doddling car in a suburban street, let them know you are behind them before gassing it past in frustration. That car is likely to act like it doesn't know you're there otherwise.

YTD=3

• Like Like x 2
  15. Virgilia Dr is a pretty straight forward and easy to navigate street, my missus lives very close and we heard the commotion. Godspeed, whoever you are/were ...

16. This just hit the news :(

http://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/more-news/11535-motorcyclist-dies-at-narre-warren.html

A motorcyclist has died following a crash in Narre Warren this morning.

Police believe the solo male rider was travelling west on Fleetwood Drive when he lost control and struck two parked cars around 2.20am

The 29-year-old Cranbourne North man died at the scene.

Police will prepare a report for the coroner

Provisional Road toll:

2013: 18

2012: 31

Jess Foulds
    Media Officer
    VP25473/2013