Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2013 Triumph Daytona 675 Reviews - Somewhat Positive...

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Wayned, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Ash On Bikes and Visor Down are the first two full online reviews I've spotted from the launch, and along with considerable praise there's some interesting background on why such a major redesign has come along after the 600 Supersports class had pretty imploded.

In short, opening Lines like:

Visor Down: "Forget 250s. This is the best handling bike you can buy."

Ash: "There wasn't a pressing need to do more than facelift the Daytona, but Triumph did do more... A lot more, and in the process might just have built 2013's bike of the year."

- are big statements.

There's even video.

Full reviews -

Have some more bells too.
  2. Are these assembled in Thailand as well?
  3. As well as what?
  4. As well as previous years' models. As far as I know Triumph assembles the bikes in Thailand.
  5. In the first review what exactly does this mean? Sounds a little weird to me.

6. Slip-assist clutch is a slipper clutch, having the butterflies open up reduces back pressure and prevents rear wheel lockups.

Not sure how much more forward weight there is now, but essentially this would mean that the bike has less weight on the rear tyre and engine braking would force more weight forward (noting also that less weight on the rear means less traction). Thus having the butterflies open up to prevent this.
  7. Don't be THAT guy...
  8. Only read the first review and only the mechanical part so far...
    BS meter doing it's nut, right up there with pissing on a blind guy and saying it's raining.
    "Made the valves so light weight they were able to add more material to increase strength..." Who comes up with this stuff? Some schmuck is gonna be down at the pub later regurgitating this stuff to his mates.

I love the Daytona and am set on owning one eventually but this type of journalism doesn't help anyone.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Visor Down review sounds a bit better, but still like its quoting Manufacturer. Seems like they have outdone themselves!
  10. Don't think any Daytonas have been made or assembled in Thailand. Only Bonnies, and the variations of it, ie Thruxtons, Scramblers etc
  11. As well as the Street.
  12. Are you sure? I thought all Triumphs were assembled at Hinckley.
  13. Looking forward to seeing the 2013 model in the flesh...

In regards to Thailand manufacturing, came across this recently

from http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/689/11346/Motorcycle-Article/Inside-Triumph-Motorcycles.aspx

While Hinkley remains the base of operations, Triumph has constructed three manufacturing facilities in the Chonburi Province of Thailand. The first factory produces chassis components like frames and swingarms, as well as fuel tanks. The second fabricates plastic parts and bodywork via injection molds. It also houses an assembly line, with Triumph moving maturing model lines overseas for final assembly (currently its Thai factory assembles the 865 Twins, as well as the 675 and 1050 Triples). The third Thai facility casts most of the engine parts, including cases, cylinder heads, crankshafts and camshafts. All told more than 50% of a completed motorcycle is fabricated completely in house.
  14. #14 dima, Dec 20, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2012
    Thanks tim for the link.

Even though almost any manufacturer tries to move the production to Asia to reduce cost, the Triumph, I reckon, still keeps a bit of a balance here. Interesting quote from the article:

15. If it keeps an awesome bike out of Ducati price ranges, I'm all for it. The build quality is still there, whats the problemo?
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Hey guys,

MCN have this video out now.

Not surprised with the review.

17. As that part of the article you're paraphrasing explains, the inlet valves are now titanium, so the valve's head has been reshaped for better flow and the stem thickened for more strength. There's a photo of the new valve next to the earlier version that shows what's explained in that paragraph.

Technical info is provided to the press by the factory, and reviewers include what they feel is relevant, usually before getting to the ride impression itself.

I don't see any BS or issues with the journalism.
  18. Yes I got that. I also got that titanium has E half of steel and therefore most likely need the extra material just as FOS.
  19. Hey, I've got a novel idea. Go ride the bike, before picking the shit out of where it's manufactured or getting uppity about some technical data.
    FFS, if it rides like shit, call it as it is. If it rides brilliant, then call it how it is.

If the 2012 model is any indication of how good the improved 2013 model is, it's a ball tearer of a bike.
  20. Ridden a 'Tona (not '13 obviously) and loved every second.