Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2013 Kawasaki Z800

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Lugo, Sep 7, 2012.

1. [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

'Bigger is better' seems to be the thinking at Kawasaki, with the company's new 2013 model Z800 naked bike to replace the Z750
    Unlike the majority of Japanese motorcycle manufacturers who are keeping a low profile with their upcoming road bike offerings, Kawasaki has been shouting from the rooftops about its new metal, first with the beefed-up 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300 now with the all-new Z800.

The new 2013 Kawasaki Z800 has been outed by Kawasaki Europe, which has taken a swipe at its rivals in an official press statement.

"At a time when many manufacturers either compromise or hesitate to launch innovative models, the Z800 stands out as a fresh, new, exciting prospect – a true middleweight contender with a knockout punch."

Kawasaki has confirmed the four-cylinder engine has increased in capacity from 748cc to 806cc but details on the new 2013 Kawasaki Z800 are hazy, and the images tell us that the body work has changed very little.

However Kawasaki does claim there will be significant changes, such as "...an innovative, forward looking styling approach with many engine, chassis and rider friendly upgrades...".

The new Z800 will be a direct rival for Yamaha's FZ8 naked bike and is likely to deliver slightly more power via its water-cooled four-cylinder DOHC lump.

Sitting below the fiery Z1000, the Z800 engine will most certainly output more power and torque than the Z750 it replaces, but what the exact increase will be is not yet known.

The current 2012 Kawasaki Z750 sells for $12,499 in Australia and the new model is expected to be priced similarly.

Kawasaki has previously dabbled with the "bigger = better" philosophy with the launch of the Kawasaki 636 in 2003, but that lasted only a handful of year before being canned. However it seems to be pushing this ethos strongly in face of weak global motorcycle sales in a bid to stand out from the crowd and offer better value than its rivals.

Full details of the new 2013 Kawasaki Z800 are scheduled to be officially announced on October 2 at the Intermot motorcycle show in Cologne, Germany.

Reference: http://www.bikesales.com.au/news/2012/road/kawasaki/2013-kawasaki-z800-breaks-cover-32302

I'm liking the sound of this! Looks like a very worthy contender for the middle weight class, a potential upgrade from the ER6 next year :demon:
  2. .....but what will it weigh? the z750 it replaces weighed MORE than the z1000........
  3. So why can't they just sleeve it to 900cc and get more power?
  4. I'm not liking this black/green colour scheme they're using on a lot of their bikes. Just looks far too much like they're trying to save money on paint. Be interesting to see how it looks in a different colour.

I also note that the original source for the images/news seems to be Thailand, which makes me wonder if this is where they'll be building it.
  5. I love the green/black colours! I had a 2011 Z1000 in black/green and it looked fantastic in the flesh (colours don't come through so much in pictures). Only got rid of it because of the pathetic fuel range. It was easy to use a whole tank in under 100ks.
  6. Yeah I've seen the green/black colour combination in the flesh. Still don't like it though :p.

I'd much rather see them go back to a green/white colour scheme instead, but maybe that's just me.
  7. ^^It's just you.

8. hmm, I quite like the look of the z800 in the pics, will be on my list of bikes to have a closer look at when I'm off restrictions
  9. Hi

You have to give them credit for at least doing something different, this plus the new 300 means that they are thinking about doing new things rather than just more of the same.

More variety can only be a good thing IMHO.

Cheers Jeremy