Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2012 Triumph Street Triple (Improved!)

Discussion in 'Archived' started by DuaneDibbley, Sep 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Because I'm stupid I have decided to sell my 2012 Triumph Street Triple.

It was bought new in Feb this year and then traded in on a Speed Triple after 800km. I bought it the day after the dealership got it in and the day I passed my Q-ride.
    I've put about 1700km on it and I'm going to be one of those weird people who don't like the bike. I tried improving it but I don't want to end up with a monster of weird ergo changes etc worth nothing to anyone but me so I'm considering cutting my losses and selling up.

Important Bits:

Model: 2012 Street Triple
    Odometer: 2550km
    Rego: Rego till feb 2013
    Colour: Purple
    Condition: Just about as new (No scratches or dings that I know of!)
    Included Extras: Tank protector sticker thing (meh), genuine Triumph shorty CNC levers, genuine Triumph quick shifter, genuine swingarm spools and original sprocket and throttle grip.
    Optional Extra: Wilbers 641 remote reservoir shock properly set up for a 105kg rider. Has every adjustment known to man and is a VERY quality unit. If you're not a 105kg meat sack it's 100% rebuildable by suspension shops to your specs. Cost me $1,076 in Juneā€¦

The bike rides beautifully, has had it's 800km service done by Triumph. Then because I'm OCD about what's in my bike I changed the oil and filter for Motul 7100 and a K&N filter about 1000km ago.

I have swapped the front sprocket for a 15T one down a tooth from the OEM 16T. This smooths up low speed riding a fair bit and combined with the quick shifter transforms the bike into some kind of space ship. Then to make matters even sillier I swapped the throttle cam/grip to that off a Speed Triple which makes the throttle action a bit quicker. The ECU has had the speedo adjusted for the gearing change.

I'm wanting $11,000 for it without the Wilbers shock (will reinstall the stock unit) or make an offer for the inclusion of the shock.

Please feel free to make sensible offers. I don't need to sell this bike. There's nothing wrong with it, I'm not trying to finance an emergency coke habit so if I don't make my target I'm not too fazed (my girlfriend will be ecstatic as I'll not be buying another new bike lol).

Link to folder of larger (and extra) images:
  2. Possibly could consider including the Wilbers for the $11k

Just hit 2800km.
  3. Just wondering whats wrong with the ergos mate?

Considered a new set of handlebars and/or getting the seat retrimmed with some extra/less padding? Would cost under $300 all up.
  4. I find the seat to peg distance a bit short and there's something wrong with the bars to me distance but I haven't 100% worked out what yet.

Going for a new bike rather than creating a bitsa of weird enhancements and stuff I know it's cheaper to change it to fit me but I'd just prefer to get something that fits off the floor.
  5. No worries mate, I hope you can make enough from the sale to make that worthwhile.

If not, you can do the following to most likely solve your issues for $250-350:
    -Get padding added to seat to lift it up 1-2" - around $100 and will likely solve your peg distance issue.
    -Get new handlebars for under $200 to solve the handlebar issue. Anything from cafe racer style M bars to more upright bars to go with the higher seat position.

Or you could go with a whole new aftermarket seat, bee's knees adjustable clip ons and maybe even some rearsets for a total of less than you spent on that shock. Either option makes more sense to me than losing thousands on a new bike to fix a relatively minor and common issue. :p
  6. Thanks, I hope I can too! lol.

I think a large part comes down to me just wanting a different bike as well to be honest. Everything I dislike about the streety is fixable as you say. But I think I just want something different. It's only my second bike so I've still gotta find the subset of rides I gel with...
  7. Man that purple is flat out gorgeous, second favourite on these after the matte orange. Good luck with the sale :)
  8. Sold!

Traded in on a Nuda 900R ;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.