Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2012 Fireblade Exhaust Problem - Help needed!

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Mackdazzler, May 24, 2012.

1. Hey guys,

A little bit of a back story here, but bear with me.

In January I bought the new 20th Anniversary 2012 CBR1000RR Fireblade. It has been a fantastic bike, but I have been sweating on trying to make the thing NOT sound like a sewing machine ever since I've ridden it out of the shop in Queensland. It was a little frustrating, asking all the dealers, and no one was giving me info on exhausts, and I was typically getting the 'We get them next week, try then' quite a lot, for months, actually.

Fast forward to mid-May - I'm now in Canberra and I'm still waiting for Yoshimura to release their full system exhaust. By this time I'd seen a few guys on the US forums who have fitted the Yosh R77 slip-on from the 2011 models. So, I inquired at one of the local shops (I won't name names or point fingers) as to whether it'd fit, and, after a little fishing, they tell me the '11 exhaust will fit the '12.

Bang, I pay $1400 to get the '11 pipes, 5 days later Yoshimura releases the 2012 model pipes - They are completely different. Basically, the exhaust has been shipped to Australia, only to find out the thing DOES NOT fit my bike as the headers are different. The shop has told me that it's going to cost me $500 to get the pipes sent back to the US for an exchange, and there is nothing they can do to help me out.

I'm not exactly sure what to do here, I can't really afford to fork another $500 onto a set of pipes that I've already payed $1400 for. I guess, really, I'm asking for a little help:

If you know anyone with a 2008-2011 CBR1000RR that are looking for a full-system R-77 exhaust - PM me or reply here if you can help out, it will be going for cheaper than normal price, and it is already in Australia

[​IMG]

2. Um mate if the shop told you it would fit, and it doesn't, IT'S THEIR FAULT.

3. Spruce is correct... under the consumer law reforms contained in the Australian Competition and Consumer Act 2010 you have the right to a refund, repair or replacement a product that you have purchased in certain circumstances.

When can you use your rights to repair, replace refund?

Since 1 January 2011, you have the right to ask for a repair, replacement or refund if goods and services you buy are not right.
    Goods

You have these rights if goods you buy are:

• faulty
    • unsafe
    • look unacceptable, and
    • do not do what they are supposed to do. (in this case fit the vehicle they were ordered for)
    In each case this is according to what someone would normally expect for the type and cost of the particular goods.
    You also have these rights if goods do not:

• fit the purpose (again they do not fit the bike as an exhaust system)
    • match the description provided
    • match the sample or demonstration model provided
    • have the extra qualities or performance that the seller promised before the sale.
    IT IS UP TO THE RETAILER TO HONOUR THIS POLICY REGARDLESS OF THEIR OWN TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SALE. Once you make them aware of their obligations to resolve the situation they must do so and they shouldn't charge you for it either.

reference: http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/1023612#rightsapply

*until recently I was in retail and believe me this was a massive improvement over the previous legislation (at least for customers that have a problem... it is a nightmare for the retailer unless they have a good relationship with their suppliers)

4. USA supplied so these laws not applicable,or enforceable

5. My read on that was that he bought the system through the local shop and as such was covered under the relevant legislation... If not, and he purchased from the US direct, then you are correct and there is no protection under Australian Law.