Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2012 CBR1000RR integrated tail-lights (brake/indicators)

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by Nucleotide, Dec 23, 2012.

1. Hi all.

I've just taken delivery of my 2012 CBR1000RR and looking for a good integrated brake/indicator setup.

I did a bit of hunting around and come across this one on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/CBR-1000-RR...-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-Honda-/180749082414

On the odd chance someone has one of these, what is it like?

Can anyone recommend a good one that I might be able to pick up in the Melbourne area or somewhere local (Australia)?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. I'm not 100% sure, but I can see how someone is posting that it's illegal. Probably because the indicator need to be at certain distance from something (like fender elimination).

So keep an eye on that.
  3. from what i can gather the indicators need to be 6 inches away from each other?

i do like those however, some that i have found flash 3 times when you apply the brakes so it catches cagers eyes when they arnt paying attention to you slowing down
  4. I've been behind a few bikes with them & I'll tell you, I'll NEVER get one!!!
    Can barely distinguish that the indicators are working from even 10 meters!!
    • Like Like x 2
  5. I had one on the s1000rr for a while and while it looked great I went back to normal indicators for just that reason streetmaster.

On group rides, which is most of my riding, people couldn't tell which way to go when I was corner marking. ;)

Oh, and they are absolutely illegal. Indicators need to be about 30 cm apart (might be 20, not sure off the top of my head).
  6. I've had a bit of think about it this afternoon and going to hold of for a bit I think - mainly because of this reason.

I actually remembered going for a ride with a mate about 6 months ago that has one fitted to his R1 and I wasn't overly impressed with it actually. They do look good and certainly clean up the rear but I've already had 2 run ins with idiots in the last two weeks. I really don't want to give them another reason to attempt to kill me. I will stick with the tail-tidy for now that should arrive next week I hope.

Running the stock tail at the moment - damn it those things look bloody ugly! :sick:
  7. As mentioned, indicators need to be 30cm apart. You're asking to be dicked putting a setup like that on the back. The boys in blue will pull you up on it.

I had one on my GS, what I did was leave the indicators disconnected so I could still have the LED clear taillight, but used the factory indicators.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Due to some custom work I've done I am currently using an older CBR integrated tail light on the VFR,

I have had mixed reviews from people some not being able to see the indicators well and others have no problem.

Whilst I can see there appeal they also have there short comings, however in my case they suited the purpose I needed them for.

Cheers Daniel
  9. #9 GarryH, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
    My FJR as integrated rear brake/indicator and the distance between indicators is 185mm, as these are ADR compliant and used by half the police forces in Aus I cant see the rule being strictly 300mm. It may be unless otherwise approved, as per FJR, but I will go look at the ADRs now.

Just looked up the ADR, which is ADR6 and find no mention of distance apart, it concerns itself with markings, luminosity, performance characteristics etc. so the States may have some minimum requirements. However checking the rear one piece lens on the FJR it has compliance marks for EC and DOT so I will assume that overrides any State imposed regulations, for now until someone corrects me. :)
  10. They're European & American standards.
    They have no legal standing in Aus.

You'll find a lot of ADR's state a minimum measurement or "as per manufacturers specifications"
  11. Sorry but that is simply not true. If referred to in our Standards they become part of our Standard. My work involves ensuring compliance of goods used here being compliant with EC Standards all the time with regard to speed enforcement equipment. Australian Standards refer to EC Standards all the time as part of the unification of Standards Internationally. The unification of International Standards means that we accept and use foreign Standards all the time where they are appropriate.
  12. #12 streetmaster, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2012
    But Australian Standards (AS) & Australian Design Regulations (ADR) are not the same thing though.
    Also they do not refer "all the time". (as you say a few times)
    Only when referred to in the regulation concerned, do they become part of that regulation.

eg. A helmet that meets or even exceeds DOT standards is not legal for use on Australian roads. It must meet AS1698 specifications.
  13. Well, there's Vehicle Standard (Australian Design Rule 53/00 - Front and Rear Position Lamps, Stop Lamps, Direction Indicators and Rear Registration Plate Lamps for L-Group Vehicles) 2006 which may or may not be relevant.

In it is
    AFAIK, to be compliant, all indicators & stop lights need to have the E# mark (where # is a number, both enclosed in a circle) or specifically mention ADR compliance to the relevant standard (like helmets).

I went down this path researching running lights, BTW, and I can't vouch for my recollection, but this is my understanding.
  14. I did say that a lot didn't I. Should have proofread one more time..... gh
  15. 7.1 referring to Alternative standards is relevant to colour and shape only. What you want is:

INSTALLATION OF LIGHTING AND LIGHT-SIGNALLING DEVICE ON L-GROUP VEHICLES in width: For front indicators, the following requirements
    shall all be met:
    1. there shall be a minimum distance of 240 mm between illuminating

For rear indicators, the clearance between the inner edges of the two
    illuminating surfaces shall be at least 180 mm ...
    • Like Like x 2
  16. :ROFLMAO:(y)
    So, integrated tail light/turn signals are illegal as the space is 0mm!!! :)
  17. No, as the indicators in the tail light are still 0mm apart!
    Unless you split the tail light & move it 180mm apart!!! :ROFLMAO:
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Don't expect them to be too bright! Check the 'on' pic. Much darker background.
    I've found that a lot of these aftermarket LED signals are hard to see during the day.
    Especially from a distance.
    Don't need an extra excuse for SMIDSY!!!
  19. Thanks dad. Show me where research shows that my indicator will save me in the event of a collision if the driver is already not looking out for me. And FYI these indicators i showed are at least clear lenses the oem blade ones are smoke finish so i am probably gaining visibility actually