Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2011 Hyosung GT650 EFI Opinion

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Gobberwart, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these bikes (not the GT650R) as I'm considering buying one but really don't know if they're any good or not. I've heard the newer models are better than the old carby ones but I'm just a bit wary of anything that's not a Yamaha, Suzuki, Honda etc.

A bit of background - I'm a new learner (had L's for a week) with a budget of $8000 for bike and gear. I'm about 95kg, 5'10", and I want something a bit bigger than a 250 so I can keep it for a while. I had been looking at a used 2008 CB400 but they're generally a bit pricey and of course a used bike has no warranty, comes with a few thousand miles on the clock and an unknown history, whereas a new Hyosung is currently $6990 ride away at Peter Stevens with 2 year warranty so it's tempting IF the bike is any good.

Test ride seemed OK but how much can you learn in 5 minutes and a lap of the block?

Anyone have any thoughts?
  2. Lots of threads here on Hyos, do a search, or just wait. Used cb400 would be my choice.
  3. If you like, buy, but this forum is full of stories about Hyos. Sure, you will be covered by warranty but your bike may be spending weeks in the service department.

Given your size, I'd consider a recent model Suzi GS500 over a new Hyo anyday. You could pick up a low km 2009 model for about 5-6 grand. And they are bulletproof.
  4. I did search, found lots on the GT650R or older models (carb), nothing on the 2011 GT650 EFI which is specifically what I'm trying to find out about.

Out of interest, why would you go with the CB400 over the Hyo?
  5. try look around for a Kawa ER6NL or Suzuki Gladius, you should be able to find some in your price range.
  6. One word... quality.

Do yourself a favour, search for Hyosung here on these forums and spend a couple of hours reading. Learn how to use the advanced search to narrow your results. Search by 'titles only' and sort by number of replies in this case to get some decent results.
    There are a tonne of threads about Hyo issues, both new and old.

All I'll say is, a couple of hours reading may save you many weeks of pain...
  7. Chalk and cheese quality, and as ant suggests a gs500 , bottom line is you can buy much better used bikes for the same or less money. But hey it's your coin, buy what revs you up.
  8. Thanks guys, I'm pretty much over the Hyo. If I'd got responses telling me it was a great bike I might have been interested, but it didn't really thrill me in the first place to be completely honest. Back to the drawing board.
  9. There's a good thought, have some fun choosing, get your money's worth, lots of good advice can be found by searching the new bike threads, then start working your way through the new rider threads. A great resource here for new riders, a lot of crap to of course, but that's part of the fun.
  10. I'm looking at something completely different now, and it's something I feel a hell of a lot more comfortable about. Thanks to this forum, that's two noob traps I've avoided already... Hyosung and Sumoto.
  11. Good work Gobbers.
  12. Good man.

Don't.... Just don't get a Hyo if it turns out anything like my 2010 EFI horror story.

In the end they sold my second bike to some other poor schmuck who had the same issues I did and then it got sent back to the factory. Poor Mr P at the service centre still cringes when he sees me even though my VFR has had no issues.
  13. Dear God, do we actually have a noob that listens to advice???? **** me!
  14. LMAO that's what I came here for mate. You lot seem to have a clue. Well, most of you. Some of you. Half a clue anyway :)

It's a lot more than what I've got and I'm happy to admit it. Got a LOT to learn here!
  15. good on you mate, i bought a gt650r 2012 and it was just lots of troubles.

got myself a cb400 now very comfortable ride inline 4 cydlinder very smooth. but has that...ommphh if you get it hahaha
  16. I was originally interested in the Yamaha XVS650 but I decided it was out of my price range, and none of the other LAMS cruisers did it for me. Looking around on the weekend, I *MAY* have found one that I can just manage if all the stars align, and I really hope they do because it is a BEAUTIFUL ride. Waiting on a phone call.
  17. my local store 'on two wheels' has a xvs650 custom bobber if you have 15grand hahaha

for knowledge on XV series my father owns an XV1900 cruiser he loves it but is trading for a honda fury hahaha

the cb400 Super Four Vtec is one of the fastest LAMs motorcycles you can buy being a 400cc unrestricted inline cylinder :)