Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2011 Boulevard Oil Problem

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by dommcglinn, Feb 25, 2014.

1. G'day all. Ive got a 2011 Boulevard m50. Only two years old and still one month of warranty on it. out of the blue it ran out of oil and the dealer I took it to said engine is gone and I need to buy a new one. 12715kms, bike has now done 25441kms so it was over due for it's service by 7400 kms (prior to that had been every 5000). I checked the oil regularly but I was wondering if anyone had any advice on if this is normal. It feels wrong that a 2 year old well maintained bike has just run out of oil with no warnings. The dealer said the following "we carried out leak down test which has shown a 23% leak on rear cylinder and 80% leak on front cylinder, Bike had 175psi compression on front cylinder and 160psi on rear cylinder(standard should be between 185 - 242psi)."

Anyone had similar issues or any advice? thanks in advance

2. Cruiser engines rarely fail, so this is unusual. However they do vary in the amount of oil they consume. I have to read between the lines a bit as your post is a little ambiguous, but I assume that you had three services before the first engine blew. The first service at 1000km, 2nd at roughly 5-6000km, and the third at 10-11,000km. If there was an issue with oil consumption, it should have been noticed by the third service, and brought to your attention. Then within 1-2000km after the third service it ran out of oil? This is very odd?
    Couple of questions. Did you change the usage of the bike after the third service? Did the oil warning light come on? Usually under warranty they will not replace engines but rebuild your existing one. Do you know what was replaced?
    Did the dealership use a different oil at the third service, than on the previous two? Do you check your oil level & was it checked after the third service?