Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2010... the year of the sequel?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by GoTeam, Jan 10, 2010.

1. I just saw trailers for Iron Man 2, The Matrix 4: Matrix Reentered, Spiderman 4, Mortal Kombat Devastation and The A-Team. Admittedly, The A-Team isn't a remake/sequel but it is bringing an old tv show back to life in movie form.

I think IM2 might do well since it looks as good as the first but I'm not so sure about the rest. It looks like The Matrix doesn't have Keanu Reeves or the Agent Smith guy. Neo and Smith were what I was there to watch in the first 3 so I think I'll give Matrix a miss. I haven't seen any of the Spidermen movies at the cinema and this one won't be my first. The first MK was a bit disappointing to me so I didn't bother with the second nor will I bother with this one. The A-Team is a maybe at best for me but would have been quite likely if it had Mr T (only to hear him say "you crazy fool", "shut up fool, I ain't goin' on no plane" and stuff like that).

What is the movie world coming to when they now seem to be living off sequels? Sure Pirates and LoTR were pretty good but it seems like anything remotely successful becomes a sequel regardless nowadays. Avatar was great and an original (to me). I read last week that the second one is on the go already.... which takes me back to the question. I know it is all about return/making money but I was hoping that the cinema wouldn't fully go down the path of a lot of today's high volume selling music where it is all computer edited/generated stuff that mostly sounds similar / the same. Thinking back, it hasn't really changed too much considering there were multiple Rocky, Rambo, Ghostbusters, Indiana Jones, Die Hard and Back To The Future releases. I've probably just noticed it a little more now.

2. The only movies I will be seeing this year are: Iron Man 2, Toy Story 3, Tron Legacy, Inception (can't wait for this one), Kick-Ass and Alice in Wonderland.
  3. OMG! They're making a Matrix 2?

4. I'm a massive Matrix nerd... there are no more sequels planned.

Matrix Re-entered is a fan made compilation of clips from other Matrix trailers from what I could see.
  5. Iron man 2 :dance::dance::dance:
  6. Spiderman 4 is off at this point as Sony Pictures and Sam Raimi have parted ways, Sam wanted one particular villain, Sony said choose any villain you like, except the one you have chosen, then Sony pushed for a 2011 release, to Which Sam has said it can't be done in the timeframe supplied.
    Also Tobey Maguire will not be in the fourth film.

Sony has now decided to reboot the Franchise with a new cast and with Jamie Vanderbilt as director with a mid 2012 release date.
  7. Oh cool, so we might finally get a Spiderman movie, then.
  8. Sadly no, it's looks like Sony will go back and reboot the Franchise, Start out with Peter Parker in high school.
  9. It shows the dearth of imagination and quality script-writers, that's all. I wonder what the strike was all about, after all, none of them seem to have a shred of originality? :roll:
  10. In this case Hornet, it is Sony Studios doing the big push for the reboot of the Franchise, they just keep hiring writers to rewrite the Screenplay until they get a story they like.
    Not the first time and won't be the last.
  11. yeah, I understand that, my comment was more general referrring to the number of awful retreads going round, and the fact that no-one seems to want to write original good screen plays any more. I mean, who was the consumate ass who decided that it would be funny to cast a tired, never-funny mugger like Steve Martin as Inspector Clouseau????

Ridley Scott (Bladerunner) knows where his bread is buttered; he's the man behind the TV serries Numb3rs.....
  12. Studios want proven money-spinning products (like established stars, successful premises etc) not the risk of new, unproven material. They are, when it comes down to it, money-making businesses that just happen to churn out movies as a means to generate profit.

The writers can only make a living by giving the studios what they want. I'm sure there are still plenty of original, quality ideas being generated, they're just not getting picked up often.
  13. This is something you won't often hear from me but, in this case, I agree with hornet. As a writer it pains me no end to see Hollywood churning out repeated tropes over and over again when there's so much good, original, edgy storytelling out there. If only Hollywood would credit the cinema going audience with some intelligence and try telling some of those new stories.

But the dumb-ass crew that like their familiar stories are the ones that pay bucks for the same shit over and over again. *sigh*