Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2010 Suzuki Boulevard C109R debaffle

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Kaos, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Thought I might put a post up here about debaffling a 2010 C109R (Its actually an RT but same thing). This also involves 'demickeying' but due to the new design, mickey got leprosy and wears his ears on the sides of his head, no longer on top. On another note, you will not be able to 'fibrosleeve' the insides of the debaffled mufflers with fibreglass as some people have done in the past due to the design of the lower muffler as described below. Actually to be honest im not sure you could ever sleeve a C109, I know you could on a C50.

The end result sounds awesome as an open exhaust should. You do get some popping of the exhaust on deceleration, but only when cold, I found it does not do it when bike is warm.

For clarity, I will describe the front of the muffler as the end thats right near the engine, the back of the muffler is where the exhaust exits.

First off, it is a real prick of a job, there will be lots of swearing involved and lots of hammering. The upper exhaust pipe that runs off the rear cylinder consists of two baffles. The first is right at the end, the second about 300mm down inside the exhaust. The lower exhaust pipe that runs off the front cylinder consists of the same except the external muffler is not round, it has a massive indentation to clear the suspension components (herein lies a problem).

Both pipes also have cat converter honeycombs down the front which I left alone as they provide little if any restriction, plus before the mufflers both exhausts have a balance pipe. Another interesting feature (what it does I can only imagine as heating up the upper cat converter quicker) is that built into the lower exhaust it has a cable controlled butterfly valve located right after the balance pipe but before the muffler. It doesn't seem to be linked to the throttle so not sure what is going on there.

To remove baffles from upper muffler is quite easy. Just use a 1.5" holesaw to separate the small exhaust pipe from the baffle, then use a 3" holesaw to cut the baffle from the muffler. Now you should see the front baffle and three exhaust pipes down inside the muffler. There are two ways of doing this, either sit there for hours bending the exhaust back and fourth to metal fatigue the welds then use 3" holesaw with extension to drill out front baffle. Or you could try getting a long piece of steel and a large hammer, then bash away at the baffle to get the spot welds to break and simply tug the whole thing out. I used the first method personally as I didn't think of the second method until I attempted the lower muffler.

To remove baffles from lower muffler, you drill out the outer baffle as per upper muffler (I think I may have used a slightly larger holesaw for exhaust as it is larger than the exhaust in upper muffler). Then use a long piece of steel and large hammer and bash out the front baffle until it is loose. Now the tricky part. You have to get a round baffle out a moon shaped hole. All I did here, is use a pair of vicegrips on the exhaust and just hammered away at it (my vicegrips have a bit of an edge on em which I used to hammer backwards, it is difficult, tape some cardboard to chrome muffler incase you glance the muffler with hammer). It is difficult but after working it back and fourth for hours and carefully bending the baffle inside with prybar it came out. I used a fair bit of force on occasion and it did not dent the exhaust, but yours may be different.

Anyway that is it. By the way these are only suggestions, use your common sense and I am not responsible for anything you do.