Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2008 Suzuki GS500F oil usage?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by falcon15500, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Hi all,

I know that being an air cooled engine, the GS500 has a reputation for burning some oil. However, I need some opinions on my situation. I bought a brand new 2008 GS500F last Wednesday and have ridden approx 450km since then - following the run in guidelines in the manual (max 5500 revs, varying the revs, loading and unloading etc).

I checked the oil yesterday and the oil (supposedly some special run in oil) is only a little bit above the L mark on the dipstick.

Is it just me, or does this seem very excessive? Once run in, am I going to have to put in a fresh load of oil every time I fill up my petrol tank???

2. Hi,

I have never had to run in a bike but my dad did. His bike hardly used any oil in the first few months so i think it is a bit excessive. When you bought it, was the oil filled right up or just a bit? Might have to wait for someone with some more knowledge to answer this question :)
  3. A few things:

- there is no reason that an air cooled motor should use more oil than a water cooled one. Certainly the GS500 has no such reputation.

- Run in oil is a fairly light weight (single grade?) oil. It may in fact evaporate off quite readily or even find it's way past stem seals or rings.

- A motor that is new may not have the rings seated properly.

- They may not have topped up the oil in the engine after fire up. So the difference between H an L may be the quantity in the oil filter. or indeed the practice of the shop may be to only put the minimum in.

So what I am saying is it should be fine, but I would be raising it with them at the first service (make sure they note it) and if it continues between first and second service I'd be making a big fuss over it. make sure you note the level when you get it back.

You are checking with the bike upright?
  4. Some are known to use a bit of oil but if you are checking the level correctly it seems a lot.
    You wont be running in on "special" oil it should be plain old mineral oil which is fine even for long term use.

Are you checking the level correctly? is there not a sight glass on the GS? If its a dip stick does the manual say check with it screwed in or out?
  5. Thanks for the ideas, all. I was under the impression that all air cooled engines burnt more oil than liquid cooled engines, owing to the looser tolerances of the design to allow for expansion?

Yes the GS has a dipstick, not a sight glass. Seems quite backwards, doesn't it? :) And the manual says to check the oil on a level surface, not on the centre stand and with the dipstick not screwed in (just touching).

Obviously as it is a brand new bike, I am concerned. I talked to the workshop at the dealer and they said it sounded a bit more than usual and to bring it in to them so they could top up the "run in oil".

I might do that this afternoon... It's a bit of a trek, 50km each way between my house and the dealer.
  6. Sounds like a plan. Ask them what oil is in it.
    I'll be surprised if its not regular Shell mineral.

If you have done a couple of hundred k you could ask them to drop what's in it anyway and start again. Its often done with new engines although not strictly necessary.
  7. Check out gstwin.com - lots of good info on oil etc specific to the GS, including a post on "how to check your oil". Basically its got to be on the centrestand on level ground, and don't screw the dipstick back in.

I have a 2 yr old GS500F that's done 10k and it doesnt use any noticeable amount of oil - that's over the 3000km I've ridden since buying it. So if yours is using oil, I'd take it back under warranty.
  8. Just an update... I did take it back to them this afternoon and there isn't a problem. It seems that when I checked the oil, a lot was still up in the head and hadn't come back down yet.

When I got to the workshop they checked straight away and couldn't find ANY on the dipstick. So they put it on the side stand and left it for 10 minutes. When they checked it again, it was just below the F mark. So... All is good, apparently.

I felt like an idiot, but that's a small price to pay. :) I was sure the oil would have drained back down by the time I checked it. Guess not.

Thanks all!
  9. Seriously- dont feel like an idiot. An idiot wouldnt have asked, and wouldnt have gone back to the shop for their help.
  10. get the oil wrong and you trash the engine - it was a worthwhile question!