Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2008 Kawasaki 1400GTR

Average User Rating:
  1. XJ6N submitted a new Showcase Item:

2008 Kawasaki 1400GTR

Read more about this showcase item here...

• Like Like x 2
  2. Take a look behind my 250 and you will see a GTR1000. Open road hard to beat, fuel tank hard to empty, starts to fall, hard to stop it falling. You can do yourself a favor and only half fill the tank unless you are on tour. Then fill it up.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. So it is! They have an excellent pedigree. I think I will get some form of drop protection as per your comment that they are hard to stop from falling. I think the '08-'09 1400GTR is a little more thirsty than the GTR1000; I'd expect to get no more than 350-400 kilometres from a full tank. The 2010-on models have an 'eco' mode that boosts that quite a bit. If I can emulate a bit of your motorcycle travel with my GTR, I'll be very happy Eric!
  4. It had a safe 350-380 and that is the limit of my comfort stops.
  5. Yes, that's probably about my limit too; my teeth'd be floating by then!
  6. Awesome..

• Like Like x 1
  7. Nice. looks ideal for long distances!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Impressive review and write-up... When I get my new bike I'm going to have to lift my game!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. she's a great looking bike, enjoy :)
    • Like Like x 1
  10. NICE!!!! I really like those! one of the best looking sports tourers out! Super fast as well!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Great write up even better bike, having ridden one I would without hesitation purchase one tomorrow (then I would need a bigger garage :facepalm:). love they way they look, handle and the panniers fitted as standard is just the cherry on top. You have many enjoyable kilometers in front of you XJ6NXJ6N (y)
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Thanks everyone. :]

When I started actively looking for a non-LAMS bike to suit my purposes, it was fun. I was checking out sites like Bike Sales and Gumtree each day and narrowing the choices down to just a few bikes - Honda VFR800F or VFR1200F, BMW R1200GS, Yamaha Tenere, FZ1N or MT-09 Tracer...okay, quite a few. :-/

A few weeks went by and I didn't seem to be any closer to making a purchase. Now, browsing for bikes started to feel like a chore. I began to be picky - the exhaust headers on this one's got too much corrosion, look at the price they want for that - dreamin', etc.

After another week of this I announced to my wife that I was completely and utterly sick of myself and was just going to take the toaster for a little bath. My wife is very supportive but I could tell that the words 'cement', 'harden' and also 'you-whining-First-World-Problems-pathetic-man-why-can't-you-just-pick-a-bike!' of weren't far off by this stage.

By chance I re-read one of HighettHighett's posts about Far Riding. He had collisions with two kangaroos in far western NSW in the early hours of the morning and after managing to keep the bike up during both collisions, rode the bike 1,300 kilometres home with minimal roadside repairs to keep loose components secured. A marvellous endorsement of both rider and motorcycle. So after some more Bike Sales I quickly found this '08 model for $10K. With the low number of kilometres on the odometer, the price was about $2K under market price and so being a miserly sod I was very happy about that.

It's a supremely comfortable ride. I didn't comment much about the suspension but two-up on country roads, it takes everything in its stride.

A very experienced rider who I work with and who knew the big jump I was making in power and weight from the naked XJ6 to fully-faired GTR said, "Be careful about speed. It's not going to snap your neck like a litre super-sport. On this sort of bike it'll be deceptive and sneak up on you. Behind the fairing and screen you won't notice you're entering a corner way too hot until it's too late." And that's exactly how it is. It's no wheelie monster; the power comes on very smoothly, the mass of the bike keeps it quiet and planted. And yet the speedo tells me I'm going much faster than it feels and sounds. Highway overtaking is just fantastic on this bike. I get into our Corolla and have to make a major mental adjustment as a result.

Sports-tourers seem to be are a much smaller niche of motorcycling these days. As much as I'm keen to own a bike that'll be at home on rough dirt roads, I think I'll be keeping a sports-tourer in the garage as well for a long time to come. :]
    • Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Outstanding bike for touring,the more you ride it the more you will love it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. I can only agree; my highway commute into Dubbo on the GTR this morning was a great start to another day.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Great bike. I was very actively considering this/FJR1300 at one stage. Ended up with Super Tenere because of that much ability to go on dirt roads. But I miss the power, the ultra smoothness and comfort of a large windscreen. One day perhaps, purely to eat up shit load of kilometers. FarRides will be awesome on that thing.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. It's a very comfortable ride with excellent shelter from wind and rain. It has a more sports-oriented rider position than the FJR1300 which I like about it. The Super Tenere is currently at the top of my dirt tourer list and if I had the cash to keep two motorcycles in the garage, this is the one I'd select. In a few years' time a Tenere will be on the shopping list. It is a particular sort of frustration seeing a rough dirt road or track winding off through the hills and knowing your bike just isn't suited to it and there's many of these where I live. I like going to quiet and often scenic places so a bike that can handle rough roads is a must for me at some stage. I've got an idea to head up through Cameron Corner, along the Strzelecki Track to Innamincka and then west and south to the Flinders Ranges...one day.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Good choice ....I have one as we'll. like your aftermarket exhaust. Couldn't agree more with your comments about riding this bike, an awesome ride but one that you have to watch your speed.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. GTR owners of the world unite! Or something. How long have you had yours? Have you had the chance to let it do some big kilometres for you?

The Staintune exhaust on this is pretty good. I don't think I've heard a Staintune exhaust sound on any bike that I haven't liked. It's not particularly loud (can't hear it at all on the highway) but enough to let you know that it's there with a large volume restrictor fitted. Cold, I think it probably idles a little rougher than with a stock exhaust. I don't like the fact that the stock exhaust sticks out from the back of of the bike in side profile but I do like that they're whisper-quiet (FWIW, I also own a cardigan).

And yes, the ability to shred a licence doing something like overtaking on the highway with this bike is potent. I'm no racer but the power is on tap and seemingly endless with that nice variable valve timing surge when you summon it.
  19. Re stain tune, my gtr was fitted with a two bros exhaust but I like the original better because it's quieter.
  20. Not too many riders prefer a quieter exhaust; I'm one who does. My first motorcycle had a Two Bros exhaust, sans baffle, and it was obnoxiously loud. I replaced it with a stock exhaust. When I bought this bike, the stock exhaust was included in the sale.

Without the Staintune exhaust restrictor end-piece it was a bit too loud - a lot of riders prefer the volume without the restrictor. I fitted the higher volume restrictor and the volume is perfect at a standstill and low speed and I cannot hear it on the highway at all.

HighettHighett's GTR also has the stock exhaust and just makes a nice swoosh at highway speed:

• Informative Informative x 1