Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2008 Daytona Bike Week Wrap-Up

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by forester_neil, Mar 20, 2008.

1. An interesting article aboout Daytona Bike Week 2008, and the state of the US motorcycle industry.

I personally like the bit about BMW and the future role of the GS....not that I'm biased...and future directions for an industry that was often (locally) potrayed poorly.

2. Great find there Neil.

I read something in a UK mag about how they see GS buyers as typical Toorak Tractor types, who want to look adventurous and windy-haired but spend as much time off road as Paris Hilton spends studying physics.

This puts another spin on it.
  3. ... So, buy your bikes cheap from the US :grin:

Seriously, how is motorcycling getting picked up in record number everywhere but the U.S?
  4. This can be attributed to the economic downturn in the US. Its debatable as to whether it will turn into a recession (likely).

Australia and the US are at completely different ends of the economic strength scale. US is up shit creek, Australias economy is argued as being too strong.

When we see a downturn in our economy, consumer spending etc, we too will see a marked reduction in sales of motorcycles.

Simple really. In worst economic circumstances people tighten their belts and spend less on 'luxury' items. This is touched on in the above article.

5. The Australian and USA bike markets are vastly different in their make up. Per 1000 people, Aussies own almost twice as many registered bikes as USA people. Throw in unregistered off-road bikes and Aussies are positively bike crazy next to the Yanks.

In my perception of reading various US based forums, the average American also appears to be more likely to view their motorcycle as a status symbol, a hobby, or as a means of showing off, as opposed to the average Aussie who treats their bikes more as a real world usable object rather than as a showpiece. Of course that's a generalisation based on observable trends and there are plenty of show-pony posers here in Australia too, just as there are plenty of real-world riders in the USA.

One only needs to walk around capital cities in Australia to see motorcycles parked everywhere possible, clearly being used by people for practical reasons. I've walked around a number of USA cities and it's not like that there. Motorbikes are rarely seen on the road, but rather are seen parked out the front of cafe's. If they are on the roads, they're either sports-bike being ridden by squids at objectionable speeds and revving highly with race exhausts making a huge racket, or they're Harley's with the most obnoxiously loud exhausts imaginable.

The article hits the nail on the head with respect to what you can observe of the USA motorcycling market-place. They are seen more as a show-off luxury item there, and they do attract a lot of bad attention. Florida recently introduced legislation to confiscate motorbikes and put people into prison for up to 10 years (!!) for pulling wheelies or going more than 50kph over the limit. It's somewhat like our hoons laws, but the 10 year prison sentence is pretty extreme. This is done to combat the rampant highway road racing that occurs in that state. Too many people in the USA seem to want to live the "Fast and the Furious" dream, and fail to separate fantasy from reality.

Of course, in all of the above, I'm just describing the more prominant differences in the motorcycling cultures between the USA and Australia. I don't foresee the Australian market going the same way. There simply isn't the same similarities between the two marketplaces.