Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2008 CB400 headlight cutting out?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Kale87s, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Hi all, just recently I’ve had my headlight cut out on my 2008 CB400 a few times on start up & whilst riding. When it does switching to high beams does nothing but pressing the pass switch does get high beam & a couple of times restore lighting back to normal. The last time it happened I was able to get lights back on by turning the engine off then hitting the starter. Short of taking it into the shop, where could I start looking myself?

2. Relay, wiring, switch.. but most likely the starter button contact that cuts the headlights when cranking. i know the 250 hornet has this issue and I am pretty sure the 400 runs the same setup.
  3. That’s what I’m starting to think as well, I’ve had the switch gear off recently to change handle bars so I’ll check that. Cheers
  4. Those bars look good. What are they?
  5. If its staying on then cuts out under acceleration, it could be your battery is on the way out.
  6. There Hurricane clip ons I bought off japan.webike.net. Transformed the way the bike handles, tips into corners quicker now but did take some getting used to.
  7. cool. Do you find they hit the tank on full lock?

Regarding the electrics, my first thought was battery on the way out. However, take no notice of me, as i know almost nothing about this stuff. Having said that, have you got a multimeter? Check out the voltage across the battery with the bike running and off. Maybe also with ignition on but engine not running. Tell us the results. I'm going out to the garage to check mine now. I've been finding lately that my heated grips are cooling down and heating up intermittently during rides. Probably putting a big strain on an old battery with this cold weather.
  8. OK here's what I found:

12.4V with bike off
    12.05V with headlight on
    14.2V with engine on.
    turning on heated grips dropped the volts by 0.1-0.2

All these readings seem a bit low compared with when I last did them 6 or 9 months ago. Hopefully someone more knowledgable might chip in with some advice.
  9. I don’t have a multi meter but was able track the problem down to a loose connection in the right hand switch gear (starter ect). Thanks for the help :)
    The clip ons don’t hit the tank & hands don’t get crushed either, they also have a lot of adjustability. Going below the triple clamp also meant I didn’t have to mess with the fork height & they can be moved up or down as I have mine set 25mm from the top clamp.

I've since put the stock mirrors back on