Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2007 Honda VTR 250, colour question

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by The Snout, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Hi All,

I've been riding a mate's ZZR 250 since getting my learners but I've got everything and am ready to buy a VTR 250.

Looking at the Honda website it seems the '07 VTR's come with black wheels and frame. Went into Peter Stevens (I live in Victoria) on the weekend but they didn't seem to have the '07 scheme there.

Just wondering if anyone here has seen the '07 VTR's in person. I'm tossing up between black or the blue.

Just wondering if the black paint is a matt finish or a polished finish, and if the blue is darker than previous blue versions as it seems to be on the Honda website.

It's only a small thing really, I'd be happy with any VTR colour, but since I have a choice might as well ask.

One other small question. Would the dealer put the L plate on the back when delivering the bike if I ask or am I expected to supply the plate myself ?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

2. Best advice is don't buy a 250 new. Get a second hand to save big $$$$. And with your small question, I'd say they would buy an L plate if you ask them to and if not ask yourself with the profit they are making if they are too stingy to put an L plate on themselves what else are they (trying to) cut costs in?
  3. Try somewhere else other than PS.
    Some say their sales service is sh!t. (Elizabeth St) I have heard them talk to potential customers first hand and if it was me looking to buy what was said the prick would have been sat on his arse.

My advice, go elsewhere. and ask about colours. I like black too.
  4. Indeed, I went to Peter Stevens just to check out the stock, as I live out of the city I'd unlikely be buying from them. I intend to go into another dealer and ask about the colours, but with Netrider people having good knowledge on these things thought I'd try here first.

In regards to buying new, I'm fortunate enough to be in the position where the money isn't really an issue, the bike riding is recreation for me.

And yeah, I'd have thought a dealer would supply and fit the L plate too, but thought I'd ask as I don't assume anything and this is my first buy.
  5. Undii (even in his drug induced haze) speaks much wisdom.
  6. I bought an '06 VTR brand new, in the matt black. IMO, it's the pick of the colours, the matt finish gives it a look above the gloss finishes of the other paints. i've seen an '07 in the blue, the black frame looks really nice.

I didn't have any qualms about getting a brand new bike to learn on. I'm a mechanical newbie so I liked the assurance that came with no potential history problems and a warranty if anything did happen. Sure I'll probably cry more if(when?) I drop it :p but it's a good bike and I'll probably keep it a little bit past my restrictions anyway.
  7. Try out redwing honda on Bell St, Heidelberg. Those guys are great, and saw a new 07 VTR when having my ride serviced.

Just my opinion below :wink:

As for don't buy new. Utter BS. If you have the money and are looking at doing riding as a hobby and great pastime, buy the best you can afford. Nothing puts new riders off than just starting out with a piece of junk that keeps stalling, needing servicing and gets pulled over by the cops because it looks dodgey. As long as you are insured, you'll have a warranty (worth the extra money) and a service history you know about. Also it gives you a relationship hold with dealers that will give you some leverage when upgrading later on.
    Every time you go into the garage and see a shiny new ride staring at you, you'll get the urge to hit the streets. If you are wondering if your going to make it home this time because of issues, you'll deffer to the car or other transport.

Have a think about whats best for you! :p
  8. I guess the "breaking in" of a new engine in this case should be mentioned where you can't ride it at any RPM/speed/hold throttle etc like an older bike has. I started with a 99 VTR 3 years ago, it never stalled, needed extra servicing or pulled over by cops because it looked dodgy. All I was saying is buying a new bike as opposed to even one that is one year old is a couple K difference usually due to ORC and depreciation off showroom floor that is accounted for.

And a warranty worth the extra money you say? Ok, hands up people who have had to USE their warranty versus people who haven't (on each bike they have owned), especially more so in the past 10 years. I never recommended getting a 10+ year old "rust bucket" to save BIG BIG $$$ but even a 1 yr old 250 can be a fair bit cheaper :) Which most people will most likely drop (or write off) and/or upgrade to a bigger bike soon anyway.
  9. Interesting. I went new with my first bike, because I could afford it fine and I liked knowing the history of the bike. I bought a car just after the bike and got that as a demo as saved a truck load.

The reason I wont ever buy a bike second hand or as a demo is because people tend to flog bikes so much more than cars. If I have owned a bike from day 1, I don't have any of those concerns. I did have to use my warranty on the GS for a faulty brake switch and a couple of other little things.

The point made about having a good relationship with a dealer is also spot on. I have bought 3 brand new bikes (one was with insurance money) and each time I have got a fantastic deal. Pick the right time of year to buy, do your research and be prepared to bargain.

The guy I buy my bikes off said "I'll do a deal with you, because I know you will buy a bike".

Of course some people are not in a situation to buy new. But if you are, there is no reason you can't get a new bike (on road) for the same price and last years model.

Good luck.
  10. knowing the history of a demo lmao , you never know and have never seen the car yard monkeys drive them around

you never know the history of anything , in fact bikes get run right in on the dyno usually , at the ducati factory for instance they get run through the whole gearbox right up the rev range and have heard similar of other manufacturers

as for dealer relationship , i wouldnt piss on 99% of dealerships

you can get the right price by doing the bargaining through several dealerships, they all want to sell something and make some money

as for the OP , if its a VTR250, look around they are one of the most reliable noob machines, find a tidy one that appears to be in good condition and i doubt you will have many probs, offload it in a year if you decide you doint want to keep it for commute duties and it will prob only cost you maintenance costs
  11. All good points,

Having spoken to so many people over the years about riding and experiences, on thing is common.
    Many people are mistaken that riding is a cheap and reliable form of alternative transport to a car.

Whilst one can buy very cheap bikes compared to cars, the level of maintenance, insurance and personal risk are much higher. It is lunacy to cut corners whe it comes to risking your butt on the road.

The biggest question one has to ask is "what am I ridding for". As mentioned in a previous post, having a tool kit of vehicles is fine, as long as the tools are fit for purpose.

I would hate to think that someone with a family and resposibilities, would put themselves at great risk by getting a learners permit and the cheapest bike to commute on.

A saturday morning blat with a fun ride is a lot different to commiting a daily commute under quite dangerous road conditions, especially in the wet.

Buying new usually ensures that you have a higher degree of reliability, and quality in vehicle (eg. headlights, tyres, suspension and braking) that given similar circumstances and conditions (road and rider) could make a life altering difference.
  12. I guess you have just dealt with people that piss you off. I have been to a stack to a few different dealerships and have found that 99% of them piss me off too. In fact, most of the other sales staff at the dealership I get my stuff from annoy me. But there is one gent that has given me a good deal on multiple occasions. I won't deal with anyone else there.

If he moved to another store, I would most likely follow him there if I were to buy another bike.

As for demo's car v bike. All the test rides I have done, whether it has been alone or led by a dealer. The bikes all get revved hard and thrown around, despite the fact they have only a couple of hundred K on the dial.

Most car places will send someone out with you when you do a test drive, and don't encourage you to give it a go.

Hell, at teammoto they told me you can go as fast as you want, it's your license.

I don't know, maybe I just feel like a bike is a more personal thing than a car.

But that's me, each to their own.
  13. Now the uncountable number of questions have now been brought into this equation of whether the (high RPM) use of demo bikes (and previously owned ones) are actually detrimental to the engine. I think it's more a case of poor servicing of a bike is worse on the engine than high revving of the engine. :)
  14. He he..... :shock: :grin:

I tried to finish with each to their own undii.

Nice riding weather in Brisvegas today :)
  15. :LOL: I just posted about how cold and wet it is here in Melb today (as I just went for a walk to visit my girlfriend during her lunch break at work.. 2 minute walk from home :) ) about 10 seconds or less before I read this., Funny :)
  16. all of the '07 vtr250s have a gloss black frame, wheels, swingarm and pegs. The red and blue are both flat, gloss colours (not metallic). The red is brighter (more red) than the previous model, which was verging in maroon/burgundy.

the blue is also a bit brighter/sharper, but could be a bit of of an optical illusion due to the black frame. the black is metallic. the metallic finish through it is gold, so when standing in strong light, the gold is very obvious, and makes the black look a bit purple. its kinda cool i guess, but a bit bling imho. the blue is nice too, but obviously i found the red the best... most 'sporty' looking... honda world berwick has all three colours there most of the time, and are happy to roll all of them outside in the sun so u can see what they really look like. under flourescent light its a bit hard to make a judgement (eg. the metallic black doesnt really sparkle gold under flouros).

and on buying a new bike, i dont have any regrets. vtrs hold value so well, its a bit hard to find a cheap on in as new condition. buying a new one guarantees no one has thrashed it, and the warranty certainly doesnt hurt, even though you hope to never use it.
  17. Thanks Rob.

I'll head in and check them out this weekend, though I'd say I'll be going the blue over the black from what you said. The red of yours looks pretty sweet too.
  18. Hmm..my 2007 VTR250 is red with gold wheels.

If you're happy to travel a bit, head out to Mornington Honda - excellent service.

There's a yellow VTR250 getting around in Leongatha. It actually looks really good.

Blue is v nice. As is black...matt black even better. They all pretty damn good actually :cool:
  19. Matte Black rocks !
  20. yellow FTW... looks bloody hot!

*note* i may or may not be slightly biased