Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2007 Honda CBR125R

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by chrissybenn, Aug 4, 2009.

1. hi guys, looking for some opinions on the honda cbr 125r.

bought from spot on motorcycles in elizabeth street. paid 3700 ride away.
    taking it for my first ride next week when i get my helmet.

im only commuting for 6 ks a day 5 days a week, ill probably go for some rides at night when theres less traffic and the like, maybe the occaisional 20k ride to the mrs place.

what im worried about is, ive been reading this forum a while, and ive seen alot of nay sayers about this bike.
    the only time ive ever ridden a motorbike was at the learners course, and that was for about 10 hours all up.

is it really that bad for someones first bike? i only plan on keeping it for 6 months to a year, then i plan on upgrading to an rvf/vfr 400

2. If you continue to search you'll find more information on the bike.

By the sounds of it, you are doing bugger all kays and they are city/suburban commuting, so it sounds like this bike might actually fit the bill. If there was anything that would suit this bike it would be the sort of riding you are doing.

Would I get one in your position? No. But then I know I would use it to fang around all over the place, so I'd probably get an offensive little two-stroke (wait...that's exactly what I DID do :LOL: ).

The test ride might give you a better idea...I would compare it to test rides of other known good commuters (since this is netrider, I'll use the example of the VTR250). Though as a learner they may be funny about test rides...
  3. Morbo, they already bought it. Like you said, it'll do the job perfectly for short city riding.

Chrissybenn, its a bit late to be asking questions now that the deal is done. All you can do now is find out how suitable it is for how/where you ride. I hope you like it, it runs well and suits your purpose. :)
  4. The bike you bought is ideal for the distance you're doing. A tank should last a month with that little distance :grin:
  5. Ahhh! silly me :grin:

Yeap, that question may have been more useful a month or two ago...but I think it'll be fine for what you're after.
  6. yeah. would have gone the little 2 stroke, was actually at the shop looking at an aprilia and the guy started talking about how it was my first bike and yada yada and that the honda is basically a get on and ride, which is good because im usually running late for work, no time to warm it up lol.
    also had a look at a vtr, but out of my price range slightly, only wanted to spend 3500 or so and he said perfect for a short commute.
  7. [​IMG]
    see the vtr in the background.
    dwarfs this little machine lol
  8. she be fine for what you need now.
  9. 6km commute = bicycle.
  10. had a $2000 road race bike, but sold it. also needed a way to get to the mrs place after trains stop running. i work in a pub and dont usually finish till 12.00. and all my sports clubs i play for are 20ks away aswell, so maybe i didnt describe it that well when i said 6km commute. around 100 ks a week at most would probably be a better description
  11. I did 24,000 kms on my CBR125 in less than 18 months, worked like a treat. Top speed was 130km (for my small stature). Commuting it works well as it has a narrow profile, so means you can split if need be. Slightly sluggish on freeway travel

Sold it due to my upgrade to a GSXR600. I was only ever planning on keeping it til my restrictions were finished.

It should do 400km per tank.
  12. I have actually just brought the same bike CBR125 2007 model, and I'm so excited about it.

I too have read all the negative comments about this bike, like it doesn't have enough power, you may as well get a scooter etc etc.. And I must say reading those comments have annoyed me.

Not every rider is out to hoon around and go as fast as they can. I'm a learner, and feel that this bike is absolutely perfect for my first bike. My biggest concern was getting stuck at lights on a hill and having to come to a stop and hold the bike up as well as hold it from slipping backwards, well with the 125, I don't have to worry about that, cause the bikes light enough to hold up easily. It's the perfect bike for me to learn manouvers and techniques on. Sure when I'm more skilled I'll want a bigger bike, but for now, I thinks it's the best!!
  13. If I may make a suggestion for better hill technique; When you stop on a hill, place your left foot on the ground and keep your right foot on the brake. With just a little pressure with the right foot you can stop even a 350+kg Goldwing from rolling backward.

It's much much much easier than trying to hold the bike with your feet, and getting moving again is easier too. :)
  14. For sure I'll take all the suggestions I can get :)

I know what your saying and yes that would be best to do that, and I do try and do that, but whilst I'm totally new to riding and my nerves are going crazy while on the bike, my feet and hands are flying everywhere other than where they're meant to be ha ha I am sure once my nerves settle and I get used to being on the bike in traffic, I'll be able to do things more controlled and thoughtfully without panicing that I'm going to drop it or do something wrong... Practice practice ;)
  15. +1

It's great to see a new rider with a good attitude towards riding. Too often I see learners bemoaning the 'penance' of restrictions and that they can't wait to get on the super-go-faster bike. Being comfortable with your bike particularly when learning is very important.

I think it's also a positive that people are really thinking about what it is they want a bike to do and what actually suits their needs.
  16. +1

The 125 will be perfect for you though, mostly because its NOT a 2 stroke so you have much easier take offs and a much wider power band.
    The clutch is light and easy but gear selection is senseless.. this might frustrate you but over time you do learn to work with it.

As a commuter, which everyone defends it for because of its small size and economy, it is good but not great.
    You sit in a sports position, meaning you have all your weight leaning forward onto your wrists
    and you will get sore/numb hands no matter how well you posture yourself.
    at slow speed the turn in's fall to sharply because of the very thin tires and if you come across road works... well try to avoid the bumps!

It sounds like I'm bad mouthing the bike but these are only minor things.
    the fun this bike can be.
    I've done the putty run, old road then back to my work commute and think its great that this bike can be so much fun in such a wide range of roads and conditions.

I guess you love em or hate em but there is no doubt about this one fact

$8 = 280Km + so your 6km ride to work will cost you 35c a day
  17. thanks drewzor
    cheaper than the $4.80 ticket every day.
    and the cab home when i miss the bus lol

good to be reassured that this bike is the right one for what i want it to do.
    i dont want to do 10 second 1/4 miles or anything. getting to work and back again is the only thing im really fussed about.

ill get a vfr in a year or so once im comfortable on a bike and have learned a lot.
    thanks for the help
  18. +1

We've got a CBR125, and it has been perfect for what we bought it for. My wife and I have both learned on it, and even though I got a CB400 a few months later we still bike-swap sometimes. Our commute is entirely inner-urban, and it is perfect for this.

You are right when you say that not everybody wants to hoon, and if you are more interested in economy than acceleration this is a great bike.