Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2007 GSX1400 on original tyres

Discussion in 'Maintenance and Servicing' started by Gsxjumbo, Mar 14, 2016.

1. Hi All, I'm a Noob here, and here is my Noob Q(s)
    I just bought my latest bike, a 2007 Suzuki GSX1400, with just 4,500 kms on it. It's still on it's original Bridgies and i have noticed the tyres are bleeding up to 4 psi between rides, sometimes in as little as 2 or 3 days.
    Is this normal?
    Do street tyres typically have an "expiry"?
    The older i get the faster i was, having said that i haven't had them move on me too much in the dry, but caught in the wet I had a 260 kg moto crosser on my hands. Pirelli Angel GT's are on the shopping list, but the original tyres have visibly a bit more left in them.

2. The rubber starts to deteriorate. 5 years is the lifespan normally thrown around. It obviously would be more damaging to the tyre if the bike was kept outside and exposed to UV. If your not confident in the tyre though it's probably a question of what price do you put on safety/peace of mind.
  3. For goodness sake, get some fresh tyres..... please.

Tyres that were new in 2007, are WAY too old in 2016.
    • Agree Agree x 5
  4. Get new boots for sure.
    Don't get Angel GTs.

They're are crap in the dry and crap in the wet.

I'd go Pilot road 4 or Metlzer Z8s.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. #5 Gsxjumbo, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2016
    Thought as much, thanks guys.

They all have great reviews. Did you have a bad experience with the Angel GT's?

6. Seconded.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Yes.

They've let go on me multiple times in the dry.

One very bad.
    Corner exit. Rear let go. Near high side.

I don't trust them one bit.

And after all that they are not great in the wet.

If I'm to sacrifice dry grip and feel I'd expect vastly better in wet conditions.
  8. Thanks for the feedback. Ride safe.
  9. Man BitSarBitSar you must be riding that puppy hard, my Angels have never let go, handled beautifully at PI under a lot of duress as well. Huh, maybe better suited to different bikes?
  10. Bike setup may indeed have something to do with it.

The MT is going in for suspension work in April. Desperately needed.
  11. Lol maybe that's the problem right there. Be interesting to see if the tyre performance gets better with suspension sorted.

Or better still, bugger the suspension, buy a Tuono! :p
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Although tempting having way too much fun with the MT.

Plan on getting the suspension sorted then more advanced (formal) training.
  13. CSS? If you haven't done it, it's pretty damn good (and the coaches - damn they ride well). And the joy of riding PI - priceless....
  14. More than likely.
    Or Advanced III with Hart.
  15. Mrs. Button (PSYKCPSYKC ) has done both in the last 6 months (broadford vs PI) and she enjoyed both, but reckoned far more and better instruction with CSS and she thus learnt a lot more. Double the cost of course....
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Thanks for the note.
  17. While people are talking tyres, I'm close to needing new ones for the cross runner. They come with scorpion trails, but I do bugger all dirt roads, so would like a 95% road tyre, but probably more touring orientated, any suggestions?
  18. About time :whistle:

What you getting done? Lozza's still not happy with his front. Rear Penske is good/sorted. He's dropping the front 5 mm increments currently to work on that. I still think once sorted it'll be a hard bike to beat for value. Sorely tempted myself - just want someone else to drop the coin on the suspension first!
  19. I've been in discussion with Krooze Tune (among others) - looking likely to give them my money as I have been impressed with the feedback/options.

At this stage looking like ~$1k - 1.4K depending on what gets done.
    Rear = Ohlins @ ~$850 fitted
    Front = Rebuild, cartridge or re-valve and spring kit (or both) - hence the difference in price.

That reminds me, I need to give Dave a call...........--> goes to do that now :)

I'll do a Blog piece when done.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Nice one BitSarBitSar it'll be interesting to read your feedback.