Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2006 Yam FZ1S - Fuel Cut-Off Issue

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by flashthebiker, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Hi All

Just signed for a 2006 FZ1S with 14,000 km, carbon akra pipe and some other goodies.

Have heard conflicting reports regarding the fuel cut-off at small throttle openings, and more paticularly reopening the throttle at higher revs, say mid corner. Aparently a big deal on US forums (?).

Is this a real issue here in Oz? If so is there a fix. This is an awesome bike I would hate to be spoiled by something like this.

Thanks for any info.
  2. EFI snatch is alive and well on some bikes.
    Take the Yam for a test. If its fuelling clean you'll be ok.
    I have a theory that some of the problems are related to snatchy riders....
  3. It's a real issue alright. But it just doesn't seem to bother some riders :?
    the only way to know is to ride it yourself.

If you have looked at the US forums you will probably have come across the solution - a custom piece of electronics that is wired into the loom. Can't remember the name, sorry, but I am sure you can find it if you look hard enough.

From what I recall, Yamaha fixed the problem on later models, but their fix cannot be retrofitted.
  4. OK thanx! Test rode last weekend and while I didn't notice anything I wasn't aware of it either... so either its not there or I didn't ride the bike so that it could happen.

The fix is an FCE (Fuel Cut-out Eliminator) dunno what it does, how to get one, and what other issues it may or may not introduce....

I guess I'll just RTBM as see :grin:
  5. The FCE changes how the bike fuels at no throttle. it is made to (from factory) to have no fuel wit no throttle for emmissions purposes. the FCE adds a tiny amount of fuel at closed throttle, so when you wind on, there isnt an immediate explosion of new fuel, it stops the jerkiness of the engine, and should help you coming out of corners and so forth.

I dont own an FZ1, but was considering them for a while for an upgrade, and heard about this aswell. its a fairly simple fix, for a big result.

Good luck with the new bike.

6. 'Ivans Fuel Cut Eliminator, here.