Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2006 - R6 vs 675 (and some others)

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by undii, Feb 9, 2006.

1. Have you guys seen the MCN test?

R6 - Fastest lap 1:46.213 Power 106.5BHP Torque 42.31ftlb

675 - Fastest lap 146.220 Power 106BHP Torque 49.04ftlb

Pretty damn CLOSE. .007 os a second in (best) lap times :)

Cover of the issue: http://www.motorcyclenews.com/jpeg/424/10881074.jpeg

they left the other bikes fair back in the test(about a second) in lap times.

A person running in the 675 (not going past 10K RPMS at present) http://xtsystems.com/ajhutch/Movies/2006aGo.mov

the 2006 R6 vid: http://www.dailymotion.com/tag/test/video/29374

I sure hope a video is available in regards to the test done in MCN. There is a street test next week or so. Seems the 675 will clean up in this one for sure. Can't wait til I get mine. Seems they are really really getting delayed for Oz release :(
  2. No offense to the UK guys (MCN), but I'll be more willing to believe a comparison conducted by Aussies or Yanks. The UK guys tend to have a patriotic heart when it comes to Triumph.

Not that I don't think that the 675 would be capable of matching a 2006 R6. I truly wish that it is, 'cos the 675 is perhaps the next bike that I will buy, and I want it to be every bit as good as the hype says, but I won't be falling for more British based hype.

As for an Aussie release being delayed, that's a good thing. Allows them to iron out a few early production kinks before they get here. There's always a few kinks with any new bike release.
  3. Strange, all the UK members of the forums I say the exact opposite. That they are usually 'anti' triumph when it comes to reviews etc. They said even saying 675 was a good bike is a great thing for Triumph..

But that's just going on what the people have said in the forums, I don't know what it's really like as I haven't followed british mags etc
  4. I'd be willing to bet (well, a small amount) the results of every comparison will be the same: R6 makes a more likely track winner, 675 is a more liveable machine on the street... I know which I would prefer, but I don't have to worry about it since I can't afford either.
  5. undii, I think that's just oversensitivity on the part of the UK forum members. They'll be even more patriotic than the reviewers, and the reviewers are more or less obliged to say some token bad things, and these all get blown out of context.

That's just how I see it. I remember when the T595 was released and all the initial British mags were slobbering all over it. One year later they came clean and admitted to its various issues, then almost to the point of slagging it off.

I guess what I'm referring to is more the "honeymoon phase" of a new bike's release. I like to see the perspectives after that phase is over, and then that's when I'll start to believe the UK press with a little more conviction.
  6. Anyone have any guesses as to the pricing of the 675?
  7. from an email from Triumph Australia..

Thank you for your enquiry on the new Daytona Triple 675, the price has
    been set at $14,890 plus on road costs,

Roughly, $16,200 all up
  8. You really have no idea, obviously not been reading British bike mags since the re-emergence of Triumph?
  9. Nah, haven't been reading much of British mags of late. I stopped a while back after I got tired of all the trash talk, and general over-hyped wankery.
  10. Also, what MCN actually says..

What's New?

What isn't? The 675 is new from the ground up. Rather than opting for a revvy four cylinder motor, the British firm has opted for a grunty 675cc in-line triple, which incedentally will be allowed to race in British Supersport this year. Elsewhere the 675 is dripping with all the right struff; a beautifully crafted aluminium twin-spar frame and swingarm, upside-down forks, radial brakes and an underseat pipe.

On the track

WOW. We all loved the new Triumph at its recent Malaysian launch and we even had a hunch that, with its big 675cc motor, it would probably be the supersports king on the road. But we had no idea it would be this good on the track. Not only is the new Triumph faster than the once dominant CBR600RR, it's quicker than the brand new GSX-R600, the ZX-6R(our 2005 600 group test winner) and almost as quick as the R6. Impressive stuff as, with the exception of Craig Jones' recent supersport campaign on a Daytona 600, Triumph haven't had the luxury of drawing from any serious racing technology like the Japanese have. The rest of the bike is fairly radical too. It looks so small and skinny you could mistake it for a Cagiva Mito 125 when parked next ot the competition. But once on board it's surprisingly roomy - although the short tank means you can touch the bar ends with your knees at full lock. When in the saddle, as with the firmly sprung R6, the Daytona's suspension doesn't sink. That, coupled with its 'sit on top' riding position, means that smaller riders need to be on tip-toes at a standstill. Like the old Dyatona 600 and 650, Triumphs new bike has a superb chassis with lots of feel, so you can sense exactly what's going on when you start to push. And like the new R6, the Triumph comes with steering so sharp that full lean is just a touch of the bars away, even at full speed with the brakes jammed on up to the apex. But the Daytona's biggest asset is its grunt. With its extra capacity the Triumph flies out of corners in a way the competition can only dream of. It carries this speed well out the corner, until it hits a mid-range lull (between 9000-11500rpm) before setting off again as the revs scorch to the 14250rpm redline. Elsewhere you get other track touches like an on-board lap timer, a gear indicator display and a clear analogue tacho. On the minus side, there's no slipper cluctch so the bike can get a bit squirrelly on fast downchanges into corners and the gearbox is a bit stiff and colky. The Daytona is a superb track bike, wand it looks like the one to beat when hed-to-head with its rivals on the road, too...

Best Bit

The mammoth grunt out of the corners.

Worst bit

The clonky gearbox

Although less than a second separates all five of these bikes, they all feel completly different and figures don't tell the whole story as the winner was never really in doubt.
    At the R6's launch in Qatar in December, and then on the road against the ZX-6R, it impressed us beyond belief. Here at Valencia it shone even brighter, showing off its incredible poise and handling and setting the fastest lap (but only just) despite being down on the power compared to another R6 we've seen on a dyno.

But the real suprise is just how good the Triumph is; a brand new model, out of nowhere and instantly kicking the opposition in the teeth.
    Its grunty motor, unreal handling and steering all combine to make the Daytona 675 fast and fun on the track; the only thing that lets the Triumph down is the lack of slipper clutch and its notchy gearbox.
    Last year's winner, the ZX-6R has been shunted to third place, but its strong motor and fine handling still make it a formidable track too..

The new Suzuki isn't really a leap forward from the old model engine wise - as the R6 or Dytona 675 are - but what it lacks in the shove and track manners it more than makes up fro in fun. Its the easiest to squeeze the most out of and the easiest to ride fast on the track. With its adjustable footreasts, slipper clutch and all round beauty fourth place doesnt really do it justice.

That leaves the Honda. What a difference a couple of years make. Such is the relentless charge of the development in the cuthroat supersport class that the CBR600RR has gone from top dog to also-ran in the space of just two years. The Honda is still a superb machine, but compared to the new kings of the class it feels decidedly ordinary...
  11. 75 odd more CCs and the 675 is still SLOWER. :p :p :p :p :p

Have I shattered the dream yet?
  12. hehe nope, the R6 is geared for track, 675 for road :)
  13. Pooftenths of a second at a racetrack count for bugger all unless you are actually a racer or a skilled rider. In the right hands, any one 600 will be faster than an average rider on the so called 'best' bike.
    If you are considering buying either one of these, use your knowledge and experience to figure out which one is simply best for you. Each make has nuances and attributes that will enable people to choose a bike more suited to them. Maybe develop a brand loyalty and buy nothing but a YamaHonKawaZuki. Or be even more vain and just pick your favourite colour!! :p
  14. i would take them both
    i dont care if it was hot pink.... :p
    i love them all ....every 600 or bigger bike
  15. Well, colour and general appearance are the most important criteria. After all, things like handling, power or gearbox only matter when your'e riding but colour and looks work 'round the clock, whether you're riding or parking :)
  16. Not for me. Sure it's a factor but i'd rather have a great handling bike with a slick gearbox than a better looking, more powerful bike with clunky gearbox and so-so handling.
    But that's just me. :grin:
  17. I'd probably go with the R6, but thats because I'm more of a track rider than a street rider.

I'm pretty keen on the 06 GSXR600 as well, apart from the looks.
  18. Hmmm, I was reading a lot of the UK mags back when I picked up my T595...maybe they had a subliminal effect? No wonder I stopped reading! :evil: I never was very bright... :roll:

I was reading one the other day, at the newsagency, and saw a reference to the 675 being the "greatest bike in the world" - I read that as sarcasm though. :)