Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2005 Suzuki GS500

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by CampbellS, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Since I'm slowly modifying my bike I thought I'd throw a project thread up.

So for Ive done the following
    Carbon wrapped the tank, fender and rear fairings.
    LED indicators
    new mirrors
    painted the exhaust
    painted the tyres

Here are a few pics of my progress:
    [​IMG]10501697_10152594248319036_121226174705192205_n by campbellsneddon1, on Flickr
    [​IMG]10551101_10152594248429036_7461460184275741434_n by campbellsneddon1, on Flickr
    [​IMG]073 by campbellsneddon1, on Flickr
    [​IMG]076 by campbellsneddon1, on Flickr
    [​IMG]114 by campbellsneddon1, on Flickr
    [​IMG]116 by campbellsneddon1, on Flickr
    [​IMG]154 by campbellsneddon1, on Flickr
    [​IMG]160 by campbellsneddon1, on Flickr

Since these pics were taken I've added some red wheel tape, decals, led rear tail light and hid headlight.

Going to go a nice run today so hope to take a few nice pics of the bike.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Looks good ...
  3. i liked the carbon wrap, but i'm not quite sure of those red decals.

each to their own!
  4. Does it go faster?
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. There goes any modicum of resale
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Hardly. It's all reversible. This seems to be the general consensus tho. First time I've modified a bike. Think all the red May be coming off...
  7. So ordered a few parts on ebay recently.

Dismantled my bike to re jet the carbs after fitting my new shorty pipe exhaust the other day only to realise the pod filters I have are the wrong size (ordered 54mm at the advice of the internet. Need a 60mm to fit I think.

Anyways. A sneak preview of the shorty pipe, and a few pics of what ive ordered.

[​IMG]$_12 by campbellsneddon, on Flickr
    [​IMG]GS500Links by campbellsneddon, on Flickr
    [​IMG]001 by campbellsneddon, on Flickr
    [​IMG]002 by campbellsneddon, on Flickr

This is how she currently sits awaiting the new pod filters.

Gonna lower the rear about 2 inches and the front an inch.

Once its all put back together Im going to have a look at removing the decals. Going to leave the wheel tape on and possibly some of the decals. Will wait and see.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. I think it looks pretty smart (okay, maybe the 'R' isn't exactly convincing), but why are you lowering it? I don't know of too many cases that doing so improved cornering clearance or handling.
  9. I suspect it may look better in real life? I think maybe get rid of the big R on the tank and the red stickers off the front guard and in my opinion will look pretty schmick. Thumbs up on having a go at personalizing it!
  10. I naturally assumed that the lower the centre of gravity, the better. Ill have a go and see how it feels. If it is worse ill just revert to stock at a loss of $50 big woop. Got a day off next week so hopefully I can get it all back together and see how the rejet feels.
  11. Haven't updated this for a while,
    Finally got the bike up and running with new jets, pulls really well now. Not so much more top end power but heaps more mid range. Exhaust is ridiculous but fantastic at the same time.
    Decided not to fit the lowering links so next on the 'to do' list is to paint the exhaust again (last paint didn't last) and fit the clip on handle bars. Also going to remove the L plates when I pass my test (gonna book on Monday) and cut the fender at the rear down to a better size. Then Ill be fairly happy with it I think.
    Removed the R decals too.
  12. I saw this bike on Gumtree mate. Looks really good. Have you decided to keep it?
  13. Im gonna try and sell it as I want another sports bike. Happy to keep it if it doesn't go tho.
  14. I might give you a call if you haven't sold it by the end of next week. Does it come with a rwc?
  15. ill get a rwc, yeh. Should pass no problem. Still got the stock exhaust there.
  16. Sounds good mate
  17. Managed to get some more done to this today.

Painted the exhaust and rear bar and fitted the clip-ons. Very pleased with the results. Riding position seems much more sporty and the front is lower which should improve turn in from what everyones saying. Cant wait to take it a good ride to see what its like now.

• Like Like x 1