Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2005 Ducati Monster 1000DS

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by lil, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Took one out for a spin today so Stookie could get an idea of what its like.

Here's my views on it (keep in mind I'm 6 feet tall and legs are the long part :wink: and I had a pillion). It had stock pipes and a bikini fairing and about 280kms on the clock.

A very little bike....seat to peg height not great and also fairly low. The bars are quite wide although they felt a comfortable height and width (i.e. felt natural...didn't have to stretch). Having said that, I found I could feel my forearms within 20 minutes of getting on.

It rode nicely, with reasonable poke in first, but much better pull in second and third (didn't really get out of third). I don't know whether it was me or the bike, but the gear changes into first when moving were not all that smooth. The brakes were good.

I loved the way it took corners! I'd never ridden a naked bike before and never a bike with bars as wide and it felt so smooth and comfortable and happy to attack any corner. It sat nicely on the road. The bike had a small bikini fairing and I didn't really notice much more wind than I would from mine (2002 900 Supersport).

The main complaint I had after the run was that it felt really light in the front. I didn't really boot onto the freeway as it felt as though the front wheel was going to come up (I know there was weight on the back, but I would have expected a more solid feel anyway). I felt almost as though it was a 250 in my hands, rather than a 1000. The instruments were easy to read, but basic and all analog....speedo, tacho, 5 lights for oil, neutral, etc.

A good fun bike, but quite small and probably not suitable for regular pillioning. Lots of go and very quick to legal speeds :wink: , lovely cornering and its a Ducati!

:D :D :D

2. Get it set up right suspension wise at the back and ride it without a pillion and it shouldn't feel so light at the front.
    All that being said some naked bikes do feel light at the front if you have been riding in a sportier position.

What was the fun factor like???
  3. I was struggling to find thinks to hold onto.....when braking Im sure lil was getting pushed over the tank but i got the hang of it after a while.
    Comfy bike on the back too.
    Fun day.....i could reach the ground but I think id need to have a ride on a smaller engine size. The time it took to get up to speed was scary.
    Great way to spend a day out all the same.....Thanks Lil
  4. Words fail me, stookie!!!! :LOL:
  5. lol trust hornet to be the first to notice that!!! :LOL:
  6. Just grab the funbags :shock: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: thats what they are for :wink:

Cheers 8)
  7. Need to change your username to Horney600 :LOL: :p
  8. Lil, sounds like you stookie had a blast on the naked machine, good to get some feedback first hand as well. Do they come in red?
  9. hmm if i could afford it would love to play, but from sitting on one found it a little too short...but I'm sure riding it would make all the difference!
  10. I test rode one a while back. I actually found that the handling was excellent as long as one didn't sit with straight arms... bend ones elbows and let yourself lean forward a little.

That still won't work if you are basketball tall though.

As for the engine size the 800cc is supposed to be nice... the 620 is a bit sluggish though.

Personally I like the 4 valve version :)
  11. Smee, the fun factor was great! It runs the same engine (I believe) as the 1000 Multistrada and 1000 Supersport. I know my 900 SS is great fun and having ridden the 1000SS ages ago, I was kinda spewing I didn't wait 6 months.

It was a good fun bike, just not really right for me.

:D :D :D
  12. The funbags...Hmmmm arent they better for other stuff like a soft landing when you fall off..... :D

I loved the monster i always liked them and i will be making it my first test ride when Im off restrictions......cant wait, Maybe not the 1000cc though , a bit of a massive upgrade for starters.
  13. I testrode a 2004 1000DS. It went from 0-100kmph very rapidly. A little more of a forward leaning bias on the handlebars when compared to earlier generations.