Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2005 CBR1000rr not starting

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by tomo881, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Hi all,

Hoping someone here may have encountered this issue or can point me in the right direction. I've had a look through the forums and couldn't find anything similar.

Bike is a 2005 CBR1000rr. 55,000ish kms. It was put down (very light LHS slide) earlier this year, but rode fine for months afterwards until I broke my arm in June. Wasn't ridden for 3 months, but I did turn it over regularly.

Eagerly took it for a spin (15 min) once my arm healed and all appeared well. About 30 minutes into my ride the next day the instrument cluster went blank (backlight remained on) and bike became a bit rough. Managed to get it home, but now cannot get it started again.

When I turn the key the cluster lights up but no gauges / numbers appear. The fuel pump primes.

When I push the ignition all the way in nothing occurs. No sounds at all and nothing on the cluster. Strangely though when I push and hold the ignition half way the gauges appear and the speedo does its sweep. Pushing the ignition in all the way after holding it half way produces nothing, however the gauges remain on the cluster.

I have replaced the battery (was due for a new one anyway), checked the fuses and disconnected / reconnected as many components as possible. I try to do as much maintenance on the bike as possible but haven't yet had to delve into the electrical side of things too much.

Any ideas / suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. My immediate suspicion would be the HISS sensor in the ignition cluster.
  3. Mate, the bike's fcuked. I'll give you $50 for it, but only because I'm a nice guy. :sneaky:
  4. Ignition switch.
  5. Thanks for the suggestions all. I will let you know if it resolves.

Danny, throw in the first four for the VRC Derby on Saturday and we have a deal.

• Like Like x 1
  6. The first four will be:
    1st place
    2nd place
    3rd place
    4th place
    In that exact order. When do you want me to come over and pick up the bike? ;)
  7. A new battery will not do much if the contacts on the end of the battery cables are oxidised, which I'm prepared to bet they are. Clean them thoroughly with a wire brush and make sure the contacting surfaces are shiny-bright. The bike will start......
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1

8. Was wondering if you managed to resolve this issue and what it turned out to be??

I'm having the exact same issues as you on the exact same bike with about 40,000k's on the clock. Keen to get it resolved!
  9. Since the original poster never came back to let us know the cause for the issue, thought I'd post up what was causing similar issues on mine so any future readers can give it a go!

Turns out mine was caused due to a burnt out connector! One that plugs into the regulator rectifier! I'd recently replaced my stator so was hoping that wasn't it, R/R was pumping out good voltage so that was good too. Many told me I'd have to replace my entire wiring loom ($1700 ish) which was a massive sum for me so ended up getting an old trusted mechanic friend just trace ( and snip out) the burnt sections n put a new connector in. Bike now doing better than it has in a while!! :)

Here's a piccy of the burn:

Good luck n happy journeys!!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. What would be the cause of the connector burning out? Maybe too much load going through it or perhaps even the spade terminal wasn't a tight enough pinch when joined, resulting in intermittent contact? Just wondering.

Glad you got it sorted C I,

11. Corrosion is my best guess, checked the voltage output from the R/R n it's good, I might have not put the rubber cover on it properly after I did the stator change a few months ago...

But yeah she's all sorted now :)

While I've got you here Ned: still waiting on your next ride!!! Been a while :) I call first dibs for a spot!!
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Apologies for the delay in replying - spent a few weeks backpacking.
    Glad you found the issue Captain.
    I'm going to have another crack at mine this week. Spewing I'm missing this awesome weather.