Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2005 CBR 600RR 'rattling noise', 5 - 6,000rpm

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by mynameisdanny, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Hey everyone, i have just registered as a member of the forums and am looking forward to getting some valuable knowledge from you guys/girls...
    So i might as well start straight away with a tech question....

My father recently purchased a 2005 CBR 600RR, has only travelled 1000klm, he is thrilled with the bike so far apart from one problem. There is quite a noticeable 'rattling noise' between 5 and 6,000 RPM, doesnt seem to matter which gear is selected. I have done a search thru the forums and there seems to be a few issues raised and a few sorted out thru different ways. One was simply a loose fairing, the other an auto cam chain tensioner problem.

Just wondering if anyone has/knows of someone with the same bike and had the same problem?? His dealership isnt really sorting the issue out quickly, its been there since Monday (5 days).... He's about ready to pick it up and bring it home again :(

Any advice or help appreciated,

2. First thing you need to do is to go over the bike and close off all the rat holes

Welcome to the forum, Danny, I'll leave the sensible answers to the mechanics :grin:
  3. could be any number of things, but you need to be able to demonstrate it to a honda mechanic. It is still under warranty, and they're the only ones who will do something about it. At the least, if you have it recorded as them saying there is no problem, if it fails later, even out of warranty you are much more likely to have honda pick up the tab for it.

my ten cents, if it is repeatable at those specific speeds, it'll be a dud cam chain tensioner, just like every other honda sportsbike in the place, and especially the 600F series and the fireblades and XX's
  4. Thanks for all the replies guys... will give my father a call this evening and see how he went with the dealership... Will post back and report the findings
  5. Bike is fixed and back home now, ended up being a fairing rattle up near the screen and instrument area.... a few rubber washers and a tighten up done the trick!! Something to consider

Its frustrating how little problems like this create unnecessary hassle and concern... Anyways, its all good now.....