Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2004 Vespa GT200

Discussion in 'Scooters' started by Jemma, Jan 16, 2008.

1. I have come across an immaculate GT200 (2004) with only 2000km on the clock.

Can anyone tell me what things I need to look out for when I test drive it on Saturday?

What is a good price for a machine in this condition?

2. It's a good choice. Much cheaper than the GTS250i and very close in performance.

The battery will be suspect, having sat for all this time with very little charge going in. You might find that a replacement might be required once you start to use the scooter. The oil should have been changed annually, particularly with so few kilometres up. Acids that form in the oil are bad for engine internals, and lots of short runs where the engine doesn't heat the oil to full operating temp makes the problem worse. Check to see if the oil appears fresh.

Ultimately though, with so few kilometres on it, the scooter should present in showroom condition. No wear on grips or footboards, tyres barely worn and uncracked and so on. Neglect kills all machinery, and this one shouldn't have been neglected.

There must be a log book showing that the first service was done; never accept a late model vehicle without a service book. It's out of warranty but it ought to have been looked after as specified. The first service on a scooter is important as it often involves checking bolt tension and other post-assembly issues. The Italians aren't famous for getting it right first time...

If it's good and you buy it, you're in for a fun time. They're strongly built, hold their value, handle well and go remarkably hard. One of my best-ever trips over Mount Glorious here in Brisbane was on a GT200, proving that even a small bike can be entertaining.

Good luck; I hope it works out for you. My guess on value is between $5.5k and $6.5K, if a private sale, more from a dealer. Bargain hard; lots of people want the 250 instead, and there are later ones on sale for under $7k.
  3. Thanks for the good advice :)

This bike hasn't been registered for over a year which would explain the low kms. However, I will have to get it re-registered which I think the owner has taken into account.

There really doesn't seem to be a huge difference in price between earlier models in good condition and new bikes. It makes me wonder what the new warranty is worth?

4. Hi Jemma,

I'd be concerned if the engine hasn't been run to normal running temp in all the time it's sat idle. Engines don't like inactivity. This is one of those cases where a scooter with low to average kms (2000 to 6000km each year) but regular use is a potentially better buy than a scooter with ultra-low kms and no use for long periods.

If the price of a new GT200 is no problem, and you intend to keep the scooter for a couple of years, then grab a new one and enjoy the warranty. They're not unreliable, but as I said, there are occasional assembly faults that you don't see as often on Japanese machinery.

After two years, with regular maintenance and appropriate care and polishing, the scooter will be worth a fair bit of what you paid for it if you sell privately, as evidenced by the s/h prices in the on-line bike sales sites.

Don't the low kms sway you without getting a mechanic's opinion, and I'm not a mechanic. Where in Oz are you?
  5. I am in the ACT.

Price is always an issue, but so is value for money. It is one of those issues that the 'bargain' could cost me more in the long run than a new bike. It works out to be about $1800 savings without a top box, so that is a fairly convincing argument.

6. That's true, but it's still a four-year-old scooter, even with those low kms. Once you've put on a whole lot more (and you will; this is a scooter to ride to Sydney or the coast just for the hell of it) and the kms start to match others of the same age, then it's value will reflect its age, not the low kms you bought it at. Thus, I'd be tempted to regard that $1800 difference as a figure that's going to disappear in the not too distant future, compared with finding a good '06-07 or a new one at market rates.

A black Givi topbox bolts pretty much straight onto the standard carrier (an advantage over the stupid GTS250 rack) and should be worth about $300-350, less if you can jag one on sale or on eBay.

This advice is, of course, worth what you're paying for it...

E-mail me at bumblebeeman1150(at)hotmail.com if I can be of any specific help. I have some background in scooter retailing.

7. I think the most important point is one that Bumbleman touched on:

IT IS 4yrs OLD.

Thats not to say that its bad. Not at all. But you just need to make sure you factor that in.

So its had at least a year of not being ridden at all. That could be of concern.

You say it'll save you $1800 off new, so I assume that means they're asking $6,000. Personally, I wouldnt pay that for a GT thats 4yrs old. Then you'd have to deduct more for the fact that its unregistered.
  8. Thanks again for the advice, I will look very carefully at this bike before I make a decision.

I have actually factored in all of the other costs. (ie rego, inspection, service). They are asking $5,500.

9. Thanks for your help.

I have bought the bike. My dealer knew the bike and said that it was good buy. I also found out that a dealer in Sydney has bought all of the remaining GT200s in Australia, which takes the a new bike out of the equation.

10. Well done; it's a great scooter. Don't forget to post a picture. The manual will tell you how to get the best possible service life out of it, and the road beckons. Have fun!
  11. I'm a bit late to this discussion but...

I have a 2003 GT200 and it has done 16,500km. It's still going strong and i have had no real issues with it. I did replace the battery as it died but that is to be expected.

In one of the US forums, some guy has travelled well over 30,000 miles on his GT200 with no rebuild :shock: