Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2004 R1 Electrical (?) problem

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by imomox3, Jan 8, 2015.

1. Hey guys,

Got a Yamaha r1 2004 with what I think is some sort of electrical problem. Haven't had any time after work or on my days off to take it to get seen but wondering if it's a simple fix at home before I go and take it away to a shop.

Two things, the front headlights don't work (parkers do) and my dash works but not the LED.

Anyways, when I turn the key on the bike to ON the LED dash lights up fine (parkers also work fine here).. Now once I start the bike up, the BLUE LED dash begins to flash/blink like it's dying and then the LED stops working once the bike is running. At this point the headlights don't turn on when they should, and the LED doesn't illuminate blue. So basically, the LED display itself still works, but where its supposed to illuminate blue cuts off.. this makes a big problem as I can't ride at night anymore =\

Any ideas and insight? Simple fix that I is DIY friendly or should is it something more technical I should take it to someone.

Also does anyone know what's up with Westside Motorcycles on McIntyre Road? I've been trying to call for days and still nothing and shop looks closed every time I drive pass it. I live down the road from there so I was hoping to get a quote and sort it out.

Thanks in advanced.
  2. I've uploaded a video of it if anyone doesn't really get what I wrote up top. Password for the video is netrider

3. To me it looks like the headlight relay is shagged. Its not switching over to turn the main headlihht