Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2002 Yamaha R6 lost key

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by dags260, Jan 18, 2007.

1. can someone tell me if the 2002 R6 has an immobiliser setup similar to that of the honda with HISS? my kids have lost my only key to my 02 R6 and im crapping my daks i have to have all the computer reprogrammed.

2. if its an 02 model your right.....but if its a late 02(technically and 03) you screwed
  3. its 11/02. but thankfully my missus rang up about an hour ago, one of my kids decided the key should go in their toybox. i spoke to the local yammy dealer and they were saying it will cost about $2500 to buy all new computers etc.
    thanks for your help
  4. Good to hear you found your key mate.

Lesson learnt - keep away the big boy's toys from the little boys' hands :LOL:
  5. And make a copy, then hide it.
  6. sweet...your lucky.....if its the black key you will only be able to copy it to unlock the ingition....if you have the red key you can train a replacement black key to the ECU
  7. Whats the deal with all this replacement computer stuff?

I sort of get the red key thing but are the other manufacturers the same?

Which manufacturers need it?

I certainly would be striking a manufacturer from my list if you have to pay lots of money just because you lost a key. A few of hundred bucks is all I'd be willing to pay and even then I'd feel reamed.