Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2002 Suzuki GSX-R 600 - Is it normal to feel raw and vibey??

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Weasel, Apr 5, 2008.

1. Hey there,

I just took a 2002 Suzuki GSX-R 600 for a testride. This particular bike has done about 29 600km, and although it only has the stock exhaust system I found it to be loud. I must say that it sure felt good to be back on a road bike after a break of approximately 4 months since selling my ZZR 250.

It felt surprisingly comfortable and easy to ride. I have heard reports that they do have an aggressive seating position, but I felt that it was quite comfortable for my 5 foot 11 80kg frame. Initially the palms of my hands felt a bit sore due to nerves until I relaxed my grip a bit.

However, I did notice that there was a bit of vibration in the handlebars and from where the knees gripped the petrol tank as the revs approached 7000 - 8000 rpm. I often found myself short-shifting at 4000 - 5000rpm in normal suburban traffic conditions.

This was the same when I first got my ZZR 250 - I had no idea that 8000 rpm is the optimum shift point when I first started riding it and found myself short shifting at 3000 rpm.

Generally, this GSXR generally felt raw and vibey the more I revved it. Is this normal?

I have read in reviews that these bikes are generally a lot rawer than say a Honda CBR 600RR or Yamaha R6 of similar vintage.

I would appreciate hearing the thoughts and observations of either owners of this particular model bike or others that have had the chance to ride them.

"I feel the need.... the need for speed!"
  2. You will short shift in traffic most of the time,
    with the bigger motor there is no reason to rev it as much.

Most bigger bikes will vibe at 8000rpm and upwards. The pistons
    are a lot bigger and they're flingin up and down pretty fast
    in there...

also GSXR are hard-core sports so they are not very
    much equipped with vibration dampeners, rubber isolators, balance
    shafts etc that some other bikes use to kill or hide vibrations.
  3. my '01 gsxr600 is vibey once you are up in the fun revs. but its pretty much what i expected when riding a sports bike. bu tin saying that, the cbr600f that i test rode was nice an smooth. so if you don't like the vibrations or they are a bit more than you'd like, i reckon trying the honda.
    you get used to it very quickly. like hotcam says, you short shift in traffic anyway. so you only find that vibeyness when you give it a bit :)

very fun bike though! i did the same change. from zzr250 to gsxr600
  4. Thanks a lot for this Hotcam and BalmyBrown, you've helped to reassure me a lot!

I guess I've just been guilty of comparing chalk with cheese - the ZZR is an entirely different bike to the GSXR!!!

I generally had a lot of fun on the test ride and didn't want to take the bike back at the end of it! I very quickly felt at home on it and ended up taking it into some twisties not far from the seller's home after only about 5 minutes on it - it was just a lot easier to ride and handle than I expected.

I think it might now be time to start haggling the seller and try and get it for a good price!

5. good luck on the haggle weasel. you'll never look back once you take her home :)
  6. A good service might also might smooth things down a bit.
  7. ive got a 02 gixxer

it starts vibrating around 120 ks in the top gear , so around 6500- 7000 revs. you dont realize it as much in the top end though , maunly coz you are holding on for dear life....
  8. Thanks for this csgup1, I noticed something very similar during my testride - the bike starts getting loud around 4000rpm, and at one stage when I hit about 115km/hr in 4th gear at about 7000rpm it started to vibrate.

Port80, thanks for the suggestion - if I happen to negotiate an appropriate price with the seller, a major service and tune is on the cards as soon as I have some spare cash. Naturally I'm itching to start modifying it as soon as I get my hands on it, but I'd prefer to try and ensure all is in good running order first.