Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2001 ZZR250 spluttering...

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by leechy, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Hi all,

I am having a strange problem with my bike.

Basically if I am sitting in 6th and to a lesser extent 5th gear and the revs are between 6,500 - 8,000rpm it starts spluttering usually more so with light throttle. I have checked the air filter, fuel filter, replaced the spark plugs and even gapped them down to .7 but it still happens. If I am in 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th at these rpm it does not have this issue what so ever...

Do these bikes have fuel maps that are set based on the gear you are in or anything like that. I have noticed in the past that after having the bike service by a proper shop it runs great for a few weeks then comes back. The only other thing I was thinking is if it's putting either too much fuel or not enough at these revs in this gear and may have carbon build up...

As I said a little lost for ideas so if anyone can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

Do people use the foaming cleaner like used on cars to displace any carbon build-up ???
  2. quick question how many k's has the bike done?
  3. How many km's has it done? what Brand and type of Fuel do you use? What is the normal Idle range in neutral?
  4. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the zzr-250 is a carby based bike, hence no fuel injection, no fuel maps?

I'd hazard a guess that your carbs need a good clean given that it happens depending on how much you have your throttle open. Try opening the throttle the same amount in lower gears and see if the problem is replicated (i.e., if the problem occurs when throttle is opened lightly, not at a certain rpm). Sorry not to be of more help.
  5. FYI my first bike was zzr250.

No they dont have fuel maps, fueling is the same no matter the gear.

Mate.. from what you're saying it very may well be the chain is lose, which will make the bike have 'lag' on throttle on, as well as possible stuttering. So check that its lubed and adjusted properly, should be 35-40mm play at the tightest point.

If you're nearly out of gas then sometimes you'll get that jerkiness as there can be a buildup of crap at the bottom of the tank.

Kms? When was carby cleaned and synced last? If there is water in your tank, a cup of metho in a full fuel tank will help get rid of it without doing any harm, and it just eliminates that minor possibility.
  6. Thanks for the help guys haven’t been online very much so sorry for the late reply. The bike has 26,000kms we bought it with 16,000kms I have had it serviced at a proper workshop twice but I don't recall ever seeing anything about the carbies being cleaned or checked.

The chain was a little loose but we have tightened it and it's still happening. This also happens no matter if its a full tank of fuel or not much fuel.

I pulled the tank off and completely drained it only a month ago to see if there was anything in there and it was fine. Also checked the built-in fuel filter and it looked fine as well

I use standard shell 91 Ron fuel. When I get my BP card I was going to put some ultimate in to see if it makes a difference.

Sounds like I may need to get the carbies checked then. Is this easy to do myself I am semi competent with bikes :)
  7. Sorry, that's just not at all possible.

Since even when it is correctly adjusted a chain has some slack, you can have the chain almost dragging on the ground (have seen it) without it affecting anything other than the "slop" between on and off throttle.

Especially not at the revs quoted in top gear.

It's most likely a fuel issue.

Trevor G
  8. My '88 ZXR250 is behaving similarly. My gut feeling says fuel/carby problem.. (though that doesn't say much at all :LOL: ).