Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2001 SV650S Learner Legal?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by davery, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Hey All. I just bought the above bike, I'm on my L's, the guy who sold it to me said it's definitely 100% learner approved. However I've just checked the LAMS list and the year model is not listed, only SV650S 2008-12?

Can anyone confirm this? I'm assuming it's going to be bad news, but better than getting pulled over by a cop and told the same thing :(

2. If it's not on the list, it's not approved.
  3. Unless something has been done to it, the power to weight would be too high for LAMS.
  4. Im pretty sure the restriction on these is done via the ECU, that's an expensive fix if the bike isn't modified. Dd you buy it from a dealer or privately and was it advertised as LAMS compliant?
  5. It's more than just a restriction, it's a completely separate model (the SV650SU). So modifying an existing SV isn't really an option, and even derestricting a "U" model is quite difficult to do legally (bike has to be deregistered then re-registered as a standard SV model).
  6. what's it say on the rego
  7. It doesn't say anything about LAMS on the rego.

I bought it privately, so don't think I will have much chance there.

I have a mate who rides a VTR250, I'm hitting him up to see if he wants to swap rides for a year until I go unrestricted....

Thanks everyone for the input, :( Such a nice bike to ride for the 10 mins of riding I got to enjoy it!!

Something to look forward to in 18 months I suppose
  8. Give the RTA a call (anonymously) and find out. Hope it works out for you.
  9. what does the rego sticker say,
    lams bikes must have lams on the rego sticker, even a compliant bike without lams on the rego is illegal to ride as a learner
  10. You really should've checked that first bud...
  11. Definately not LAMS legal. I have one. Lovely bike that should be on the list. It must be the restricted version and say "condition lams" on the sticker. Just trade it in for a GS500 or whatever
  12. The 2001 model was running carbies, so it would be something different to an ECU fix to de-tune it.

If you can get your hands on a VTR250 whilst you're on your L's, that would be a good choice. Then you'll be right at home jumping up to the 650 from there - just a lot more power :)

(I'm still secretly wishing Honda released a bigger version of the VT250.... the Firestorm doesn't quite count though!)
  13. The earlier SVs were never available in a LAMS approved or L version. Its only the later models which had that option, i think it was from 2008 up.

The carbed ones definitely never ever come close to LAMS approval
  14. Funny you say VTR250. My mate has lent me his and he's going to ride my SV650S until I get off my red p's (over 25 rider, so no green ps thank god)

I hope he's okay with me having his ride for 14-15 months!!

Thanks everyone for the input.... I'll keep you all updated with what comes out of it.