Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2001 Honda 929 Fireblade (Erion) - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by DrewBytes, Nov 9, 2010.

1. A good mate of mine has a limited edition 2001 929 Honda Fireblade (Erion Racing in red/white) sitting in his garage which he hasn't ridden for years.

I know nothing about this bike and am having trouble finding good detailed info on the net. I haven't seen the bike yet but I know from past experience if he says it's immaculate it is.

It's done only 5000 kms all original except exhaust, perfect condition and he's offered to me for $6000.

After peoples thoughts on this bike. I currently ride a 2008 GSR600. Would it be a step backwards seeing as the bike is 9 years old compared to my 2 year old bike?

Obviously I need to go and ride it which I will, but wondering about the riding position. What is the riding position like? It's hard to tell exactly from pics I've seen. I don't like the really low bars of some sports bikes, I much prefer a more upright position like my current bike.

Some digging shows only 190 imported into Aus, and $17,290+ORC in 2001!
  2. Put bar risers or something on it if it's too leaned over.
  3. They're an awesome bike. It'll go, stop and turn better than your GSR, has more room under the seat, and is still pretty comfy, much more so than current superbikes. $6K must be near the mid-high end of the price range, but given the very low mileage probably OK. Keep in mind that bikes -do not- like to sit for long periods of time. Seals dry up, etc.
  4. The seating position is quite reasonable compared to more recent sportsbikes. Eg the cbr1000rr bars are a full 2" lower. I've done plenty of big km days on my 929 without too much discomfort. You'll have a hard time finding model specific risers for them due to their age, but generic ones + drilling the triple clamp is an alternative.

Despite being older, it will completely blow the pants off of the GSR in comparison - at least once you get the revs up a little.

Be aware of the normal problems of bikes sitting there not being ridden for years. If not preserved properly there could be rust, clogged lines, etc.
  5. Having ridden both, it'll "completely blow the pants of the GSR in comparison" from idle.
  6. No, that's a terrible idea.

Give me his number, I'll set him straight!

Seriously, if you're up to the extra maintenance that an older, not-used-for-a-while bike will require, I would go for it.

But: You'll probably need to replace both tyres at the least, all the fluids, check the [strike]carb[/strike] injector inlet rubbers for cracks etc.

Definitely not a deal killer, but could add up $$$.
  7. The 929 is injected.
  8. Buy it!

It may need a little TLC, a seal changed here, a screw replaced there, new battery perhaps. But it's a much better bike than the one you're on. Even if you factor in a bunch of detail stuff that needs doing, like rebuilding the forks and shock, because damping oil gets old even when it's not used, and brake fluid, pads... and definitely the tyres!

And learn to handle that throttle with a little respect. On your 600, you can come around a corner at middling revs in 3rd gear, and just snap it open all the way, and all that's going to happen is that the bike will acceleration rather briskly. Try that on a 929 and you'll probably find yourself facing the other way. Very briefly, anyway. Watch the bike races. Watch Valentino Rossi get on the gas on the M1. He doesn't just snap it open, he rolls it on so smoothly and progressively you start to wonder if you're watching an ultra slow-mo shot. And that's arguably the greatest motorbike rider who's ever lived. Make no mistake, a 929 is a fast bike, and a good bike. I'd be happy to have one.
  9. Fixed.
  10. Specs say 152hp @ 11,000 and 103Nm at 9,000 rpm. 10.31 sec quarter mile @ 134 mph. 0-100 in 3.04 secs. That's 50% more power/torque than my current bike. Bejeebers, they must be one quick bike. :eek:
  11. 6k is a good price, I sold my carby 99 Blade a year ago for around 5500 with 20k on the clock. It was jetted and dyno tuned, around 118hp at rear wheel.

Blades are a great bike, riding position wont be too extreme. Go for a ride and see what you think compared to your current bike.
  12. BUY IT!!!! The 929 was the pick of the 'Blades.
  13. Sounds the goods, don't shy away from older bikes...If they're maintained well, (as you say immaculate) they will give you many years of fun. Buy it, do a minor service/safety check and fresh tyres. That'll give you peace of mind.
  14. In reality they're more like 120-130 depending on condition, mods and tune. Mine puts out 130 with pc3+aftermarket air filter+exhaust. Yes they are very fast. Great all round bike.

As for the pick of the bunch, I'd say the 954 is probably the better culmination of blade awesomeness. But you can't go past a 929 in terms of a bargain. The Erion version looks even better because of the black frame.
  15. Just spoke to my mate who owns it. He is a mechanic who owns a performance workshop. He's going to put new tyres, new battery, new plugs, all new fluids in it for me :) Going to look at it next Sat 20th Nov after the work is done and if a test ride is all good I'll take it off his hands. Hopefully he will send some pics later which I'll post up.
  16. Do it. Do it. Do it!

You will probably want to replace valve seals and possibly piston rings if its been sitting for more than 3 years, but that may be negated by more modern materials than I'm used to dealing with. The surefire thing to do would, of course, be this:

Oil change, brake fluid change, coolant change.
    New battery, filters (oil & air), tyres.
    Greasing of chassis joints.
    Adjustment of controls.

That should see you out of trouble easily. While you're at it, even fit an aftermarket ignition. I'd definitely get an aftermarket air filter if you're replacing the original.

Once registered and so on, keep track of any oil it uses on a daily basis, and top it up accordingly. If it uses a lot of oil, after the first 1000km, the pistons rings may be stuck and the valve seals may be shot. I suspect that it'll be fine though, especially with that low milage. Ask him if he's started it at all while its been off the road - that will have prevented any storage damage most likely.

Cheers - boingk

EDIT: Awesome! Couldn't ask for better. He's probably relieved its going to a good home. Yes, pics are a must.
  17. Thanks Boingk. It's been sitting there for about 2 years apparently.
  18. No worries. To be honest, 2 years should be fine for almost any bike. My fathers BMW R1100S was sitting for about 4 years and other than skatey tyres and leaky fork seals it was pretty much fine. My GSX-1100EF was sitting for 6 years and needs new valves seals and possibly piston rings...but then again its 26 years old to begin with and the technology isn't anywhere near as good.

- boingk
  19. A few pics he sent me. I'm still undecided as to what to do. I'll reserve my decision until I ride it next Sat and then decide. Hasn't been serviced or cleaned up yet.

20. If it's getting new tyres, I'd ask him to scrub them in a little. Not something you want to have to deal with on a test ride.

(As you may have read on another thread, I did once drop a very special bike on a test ride, because it had brand new tyres on it and I didn't know / didn't check.)