Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2000 Yamaha Virago XV250S Review

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by Rogue13, Nov 6, 2007.

1. I thought I’d share my experience about my learner bike in case some
    members were thinking about a Virago for their first bike.

Background -
    The aim of the purchase was to get a bike that was easy to learn on,
    wouldn’t break the bank and get me through the restricted licensing
    process and as I am 30 years old I roughly estimated this to be 6 months,it took me just under 3 months and the Virago is sold.

The Virago is in my opinion a good starting point, the riding position is upright, your head is level which helps with balance and the foot pegs are in front of your body. I have done a 7 hour stint on this leather couch on 2 wheels with little discomfort, however tall riders may feel bunched up with the riding position
    on this typical 250 sized bike.

The controls are basic but well laid out helping novice riders concentrateon the road and traffic instead of what’s going on under them. The rear vision mirror is ok at commuting pace, but pretty much useless over 60kph – lots of blurring due to vibrations.

The gear and clutch are simple to use, the friction point is easy to find and it’s fairly hard to stall the bike. Comes in handy at traffic lights and P’s test knowing you have a good chance of taking off even if you miss the sweet spot.

The bike manoeuvres well at slow speeds and the handle bars have a fair amount of swing in them to direct the bike around obstacles. At higher speed there is a point before you enter the corner where the bike feels very floaty, but as you enter the apex and beyond there is good feedback from the front and back as to what’s going on underneath you. At the bikes limit scrapping the foot peg is not uncommon, first time is a real shock.

Ultimately the Virago remains composed and takes the bumps fairly well in corners, for learners it’s pretty forgiving and at low to medium pace speed can be shed off mid corner without the bike complaining or unsettling to much.

Brakes are ok, bike remains very stable and straight during emergency stops. The problem is quickly shedding high speeds, with disc at the front and drum in the rear you have to plan ahead at highway speeds as it will take sometime to come to a complete stop.

The motor is bullet proof and has a flat predictable torque delivery, unfortunately there is a large amount of vibration felt through the whole bike at 80/90k’s plus. The one problem I did come across as a learner is that there is no tacho – you do get use to shifting by sound and feel, but a tacho would’ve been nice as a guide through the learning process.

The Virago is great to putt around town on, but not so much fun at highway speeds as there is a lot of vibration, not enough power and wind factor will be an issue for the unexperienced – without any fairings you’ll get a good buffeting anything over 90kph.

It’s also is limited by it’s handling and lack of power, so as you become
    confident and want to explore you riding potential the bike may not keep up with your progress. I must admit I outgrew this bike very quickly and was looking for more in the way of performance.

My usually route is through the National Park to Stanwell tops and when you become smooth and familiar with the bike you can get through the Park at a reasonable and enjoyable pace, but in the end you’ll be left wanting.

So will I miss it – not really the lack of performance has quickly lost my interest in this bike - my fault really not the bikes I should of bought a sportier model for my riding style/purposes but as I explained at he start I never aimed to keep this bike for any length of time.

To some up it’s good motorbike to learn on and gain experience – it’ll will take you through your licensing process with no problems, but it’s not a bike that will keep you interested for long.

Basic Weight - 147 KG (with oil and fuel)
    Engine Type - Air-cooled 4-stroke, SOHC (V type 2 Cylinder)
    Fuel – (Regular gasoline ) 9.5L(Tank) / 2.6L(Reserve)
    Transmission – Constant Mesh 5 Speed
    Top Speed – 130 Kph
    0-100 – unconfirmed

“I didn’t go into the looks/styling or cruiser vs sports bike argument as this comes down to personal choice and can pointlessly argued foreverâ€
    aV82XuS.

2. Good writeup.

Still waiting on the test pilot to finish hey? :LOL:

3. :rofl:

4. Nah. Still waiting on that cargo plane to drop it from 10,000 feet. Then will see your 100 kph.
    :p

5. lol - yeah she wasn't built for the 100m sprint.