Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

2000 GXSR 600 Help - Fuel consumption and oil

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by heregoes, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Hi all

I very recently got a GSXR 600 and i am just wondering a few things. I am new to the world of bikes so still got a lot to learn technically. Anyway i was wondering about the fuel light on the bike, it came on and it took only 10 L to fill it up, that was two days ago and now i have done only 180km and the light is back on, does that sound right? I have not ridden her overly hard and there does not appear to be leaks. I also noticed that the little oil window on the side of the bike is way low, should that be a the full position when cold? I have read the oil recommendations thread and have an idea what i need to put in but you do you guys use un your Gixxer?

Thanks for the help!

2. Sorry I can't help with anything specific but I'd recommend (between now and when someone with a gsxr answers) taking a look at your owner's manual or downloading the shop manual from the sticky thread at the top of one of the forum sections.

If you're going to be doing regular and/or more advanced maintenance on your bike a shop manual is one of the best investments you can make - it's always there with pictures and explanations for those "ah crap, am I going to damage something doing this" moments. For about $50 brand new (or cheaper from eBay) they're worth every penny.

There's a bit of a learning curve with bikes - there's some things that you should definitely follow the manufacturers recommendations about (they designed the bloody thing so they should know) but then there's other stuff (manufacturer brand oil for example) where it's not necessary and you're better off getting cheaper or more expensive and (hopefully) better quality stuff.

While forums are great places for stuff like this don't take anyone's word as gospel, there's a lot of opinion around (mine included); do a quick search, read the manual and then make a decision on the balance of what you know from a few different sources.

So here I go with my opinion: it's a fair guess that (being a high perfomance bike) the gsxr should be fed premium unleaded and fully synthetic oil. The oil change is a really easy one, and should be done if you just got the bike regardless of whether the level is a little low. Just follow the manual, and stick with brand name motorcycle specific oil and it'll be too easy.

Good luck and have fun.
  3. 180km out of 10L of petrol out of a sportsbike and your whinging? that is awesome fuel economy!

make sure youre not checking the bike's oil level with it on its side stand, this will make it appear that it has little to no oil. hold the bike up straight and check the oil window-hopefully thats what going wrong and you're not riding it dry:(

good on you for not being embarrassed to ask for mechanical help, people around are only too kind to offer it. i see your on the northside of brisbane, like me, might see you around - i ride a '04 ZX636R.

hope that helped you mate, sean.
  4. Thanks guys,

I figured about the oil just after i posted this the other day, stood the bike up and it is all good. As for the consumption i definitely am not complaining, just getting used to refuel timing. I think i must not have had the bike on the best angle when i filled it coz it should have taken more full than just 10 letters to fill. Will definitely see you around the hills.